Stenhousemuir vs Alloa

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stenny will fancy their chances against a faltering Alloa. The Wasps will believe this is the kind of game they really need to win to get going again after recent frustrations. Perhaps that will result in a good, open game. A shite game and an Alloa win would do fine. Given our recent issues then the opening goal is likely to be very important. A Stenny win from a late Scott Walker goal and I'm going to bed before the bells tonight.

Well played Alloa. Capitalized on our mistakes and made us pay for it. 

Don't think the score mattered at the end of the day after the injuries, fair play to both set of fans for clapping the players off.

First up, I hope Ally Roy's alright. He was wiped out cold after that collision with Neil Parry and as he was stretchered off the pitch, he was wearing a neck brace and looked completely out of it. An ambulance had been called for him so here's hoping he's being looked after and he'll make a quick and full recovery. (As an aside, as I left the ground, there was one ambulance already waiting outside and a second whizzing towards Ochilview - what can that mean?)

The match itself: man, that was hard to take. I thought Stenhousemuir started the match at 100 miles per hour and had two very good chances before the goal, with Colin McMenamin heading just wide and Alan Cook hammering a shot past the post. Cook's goal was gorgeous - Kieran Millar's pass infield was brilliantly fashioned and the winger did well to come inside, move the ball onto his right foot and drill it into the bottom corner.

That, however, was as good as it got for Stenhousemuir and the goals for Kevin Cawley and Greig Spence looked like something from earlier in the season. Alloa Athletic had begun to get a grip on the game almost immediately after going behind but rancid defending, pathetic decision-making and daft marking saw the Warriors' one-goal lead suddenly become a one-goal deficit. We had a great chance to equalise towards the end of the half when Cook chucked in a fantastic cross from the left wing but McMenamin failed to make contact with it. And, just like that, Alloa went straight up the park to score their third. I don't really think I can complain about this one, everything about it was quality, especially Jordan Kilpatrick's finish. Superbly taken on the half-volley and smashed right into the bottom corner.

Stenny might have seen more of the ball in the second half but it was mostly around the centre circle. Alloa held us at arm's length before countering when Kilpatrick raced onto Jamie Longworth's lovely through-ball and finished underneath Colin McCabe. After the collision between Roy and Parry, forcing Parry to leave the field and big Andy Graham to fill in as the goalkeeper, part of me thought me could take something from the game - we had the wind behind us and all we needed to do was put shots on target - but other than Oliver Shaw's stunning consolation, we didn't get anywhere near the goal. In fact, the only thing Graham did was pick the ball from the net, he didn't have to do anything else because we didn't get anywhere near his goal.

I think that might have been the most impressive thing about Alloa's play - yeah, they scored plenty of goals in the first half but the way they saw out the match was intelligent and professional. Stenhousemuir didn't show enough initiative to take the game to their opponents but Alloa kept them at bay. There were a number of players who looked good - Kevin Cawley was everywhere, Jason Marr settled into the match and strolled through it and Kilpatrick took both his goals well. I thought we'd be able to beat them today but I was bang wrong.

As for Stenny, well, you can't fault the lack of trying but bad habits crept back into the game and the first two goals we lost were unacceptable, undoing all the good work from the first 10 minutes. I wonder where we'd be in the table if self-inflicted wounds didn't count. Vinnie Berry was our best player and always looked to drive the team forward but that's about it.

Happy New Year.

Agree with pretty much everything cesc has said above. No complaints about the result we're our own worst enemy. I've lost count of the amount of times this season we've played well and been competitive in games only for silly avoidable mistakes to give the visiting teams the upper hand. Big couple of games coming up for us  

I hope we keep a hold of berry next season (not sure on the length of his contract) and despite his poor back pass letting Alloa back into the game he's worked his arse off in every game I've saw for us this year. Thought Hamilton played well also. First time I've saw him play. 

I'd also like to commend oli shaw and the Alloa players for their quick reactions in laying both players on their sides when Roy and parry collided. Very nasty and hope both players make speedy recoveries. 

Happy new year folks and all the best. 

2 minutes ago, Jimbo21 said:

Agree with pretty much everything cesc has said above. No complaints about the result we're our own worst enemy. I've lost count of the amount of times this season we've played well and been competitive in games only for silly avoidable mistakes to give the visiting teams the upper hand. Big couple of games coming up for us  

I hope we keep a hold of berry next season (not sure on the length of his contract) and despite his poor back pass letting Alloa back into the game he's worked his arse off in every game I've saw for us this year. Thought Hamilton played well also. First time I've saw him play. 

I'd also like to commend oli shaw and the Alloa players for their quick reactions in laying both players on their sides when Roy and parry collided. Very nasty and hope both players make speedy recoveries. 

Happy new year folks and all the best. 

Yeah, big shout out to Oli Shaw - as soon as he saw Ally Roy was wiped out, he put him in the recovery position. Very quick thinking from him and he could have saved his team-mate's life, no exaggeration.

Both players off to hospital Roy came off the worst in the clash . Parry dazzed and unstable on his feet 

As for the game stenny had the first 25 mins and could have been 2/3 up but Crawley and Heatherington where the difference today Imo 

Layne not even at the game today . Tells you something . But what do I know

Happy new year to all 

And hope Parry and Roy are ok

Up until we scored we looked the part and I was confident we were going to do well. After we scored it all went to shit with our bad habits returning and players unable to pass the ball. we had a few chances before half time but that was basically it.  Why do we start with Gilhaney - he is a waste of space and effectively we are playing with 10 men, he should have been hooked long before he was. Ferguson's loyalty may end up being the downfall of him, which would be a shame. He stuck with Malcolm far too long last season and this year is doing it with Gilhaney and McCabe

Why was there such a delay in bringing the subs on? Was it because there was more than 15 minutes to go!!!!!!!!  It was really embarassing sitting watching and waiting as we went another goal down and still they were not brought on.

Hope both injured palyers are okay but after they were taken of why did we not bombard Graham and see how confident he was in goal.

Hard to see where we go from here.  we looked the part and then had a complete disaster.

That'll do, 3 points well earned today. We were helped by some kamikaze Stenny defending for our first, and up until then Stenny were worth their lead as they were well up for it early on. Once we got level we took control and looked much sharper.

I'm hopeful this will us some confidence back, and that both injured players from today make quick recoveries.

Glad Roy is ok

Wasn't appropriate at the time, but that was as blatant a red card and penalty you could ever see. Had an outfield player challenged like that it would have been a straight red. It was reckless and, obviously, dangerous.

27 minutes ago, Wasps1 said:

Really never in the months of Sunday a pen or red card 

Just a clash no entent in it at all by both players 

Idiot 

Got to agree with you on that one. It happens all the time in football.

Couldn't make it yesterday but delighted with the win after going behind AGAIN. Credit to the team as when we've fallen behind countless times recently but never seem to let the heads drop and get back into it. Kirky & Cawley seemed to have caused lots of problems like earlier in the season and agree with Goodwin regarding Stevie H. He is like a new signing and a good one at that. Onwards & upwards.

Archived