Maybole Juniors appeal following arson attack...

8MileBU

On 12/31/2016 at 19:15, Shanner said:

Talbot became a force under Knox. He got the job late 70's I think(?) so it had been building since then. 

The Scottish Cup successes coming hot on the heels of the pit closures was probably just a happy coincidence but they had been dominating the WOS Cup for some time before this and you could argue that the mentality required to retain the WOS so relentlessly was what paved the way for so many Scottish wins as they were unphased at the prospect of defending trophies from scratch. 

Talbot had turned the corner before Wullie came to Beechwood. Jimsie Kirkland had laid the keystone by taking us to the league cup final in 75. When Wullie took over we had the nucleus of a decent squad. The pit closures were nothing to do with our success as they affected the whole of the Cumnock area not just Auchinleck. What a lot of people forget is the superb committee that Talbot have coupled with their forward thinking building committee.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Dipple burn said:

Talbot had turned the corner before Wullie came to Beechwood. Jimsie Kirkland had laid the keystone by taking us to the league cup final in 75. When Wullie took over we had the nucleus of a decent squad. The pit closures were nothing to do with our success as they affected the whole of the Cumnock area not just Auchinleck. What a lot of people forget is the superb committee that Talbot have coupled with their forward thinking building committee.

To be fair, Dipple, Talbot fans know the score there. Perhaps the support of other clubs don't realise this.

3 hours ago, Dipple burn said:

The pit closures were nothing to do with our success as they affected the whole of the Cumnock area not just Auchinleck. What a lot of people forget is the superb committee that Talbot have coupled with their forward thinking building committee.

Well said. This romanticism from people watching too many Ken Loach & Alan Bleasdale productions is as tiresome as the "Pollok thrived because Third Lanark died" myth the late Bob Crampsey did much to conjure.

Whilst to a certain extent the local economic disaster from the pit closures may have helped Talbot & other clubs like Glenafton and Cumnock simply from people seeking cheaper local alternatives for their sporting entertainment (but by the same token may also have had the opposite effect - cheapest cutbacks often being the easiest to make), it doesn't explain why Talbot were three times successive Scottish Junior Cup holders & six times successive Ayrshire champions - a record of dominance no other club has ever come remotely close to touching, not even Cambuslang Rangers in the 1970s (which proved a house of straw in any case based around fickle "fan" loyalties, but that's another topic entirely).

Logic would suggest Cumnock (based in the local town rather than one of the local tiny villages) would have been the prime beneficiaries from locals having to draw their purse strings in (in the same way in the austerity of the 1920s Renton died but Vale Of Leven survived). That it was Auchinleck who rose to prominence - and then some - would suggest other factors were at work.

As there was no sugar daddy financially doping them up either, the only conclusion left was they had people running the club in such a manner that the competition simply didn't know what hit them (and to a certain extent still don't, but again another subject for another time).

14 minutes ago, Geo61 said:

Why are we getting a history lesson about T@£bo7 on a thread about Maybole needing a hand out after an arson attack ??????

Your correct, the subject has been waylaid somewhat.

14 minutes ago, Geo61 said:

Why are we getting a history lesson about T@£bo7 on a thread about Maybole needing a hand out after an arson attack ??????

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 13:45, Geo61 said:

Why are we getting a history lesson about [email protected] on a thread about Maybole needing a hand out after an arson attack ??????

100% correct Lugar have offered their facilities free of charge . I ask the question who else have been constructive towards this needy cause. Some clubs think it is  their right to take over any  thread .

Wind your neck in, sweep. The parallel was drawn between this incident and other clubs, including Talbot. No-one was trying to take over anything. We all have sympathy with Mayble over this. We're junior supporters after all.

If you want to big up Lugar here or anywhere else no-one will complain....except that Cantona fella.

9 hours ago, sweep said:

100% correct Lugar have offered their facilities free of charge . I ask the question who else have been constructive towards this needy cause. Some clubs think it is  their right to take over any  thread .

Sweep,do you have a bee in your jaggy bunnet?

Fans not clubs have been on this thread highlighting the parallels between the talbot and Maybole arson attacks.Maybole are not in a good place right now and I see posts offering condolences and encouragement that things will improve through time,effort and help.

Your absurd questioning of every other club in the county/country is ill-judged and should be condemned. 

What was you Thinking! 

Got to agree happy I might have sent the thread on a curve ball but it was meant to show that the people of Auchinleck came to Talbot's rescue after their arson attack. Why is South Ayrshire Council not stepping in because they own Dam Park so even though the gesture by Lugar is very charitable why haven't Maybole been offered this facility until they can get back on their feet?

7 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Wind your neck in, sweep. The parallel was drawn between this incident and other clubs, including Talbot. No-one was trying to take over anything. We all have sympathy with Mayble over this. We're junior supporters after all.

If you want to big up Lugar here or anywhere else no-one will complain....except that Cantona fella.

It would be impossible to big Lugar up at present. However they are prepared to help a club in need. Help being the appropriate word for this thread.

In an attempt to help, I'm offering a number of printed cardboard dressing room door signs that I fell heir to when they gutted the Queen's Park FC offices a couple of years ago.  These are one-offs, totally unique and probably date from the Junior Cup Finals at Hampden in the late 1970s early 80s.  As a wee incentive, the Kilbirnie one has "St Mirren" written in felt pen on the back of it (obviously Saints weren't worthy of a printed version), whilst the Darvel (last time finalists in 1976) one has "Bailllieston FC" written on the back of it.   I'm looking for £20 each and cheques will be payable to Maybole Football Club and sent to their secretary; I'll give you the details if you send me a PM.  On receipt of the cheque with the Maybole secretary, I'll send the sign to you in a poster tube and I'll pay the postage and packing as my donation.  Alternatively, you can collect them at the Queen's Park FC souvenir shop at a home game if you don't trust the post.

They're about 60 cm x 380cm and look great if you get them framed.

I'm going to post this as a separate thread and the details will be on that.  I'll happily field an initial query, but I won't be going into a lengthy discussion.

Edited to add....AAAAAh! the flamin' picture is too big to post.  Once I get the technology right, I'll add it.

42 minutes ago, StRochsFC said:

St Roch's will be donating all proceeds from  Raffle raised from our game v Rossvale this weekend to the Maybole Fire fund.

Why doesn't every club do something like this maybe even a bucket and ask fans to donate something towards the fund?

Archived