The BBC (Scotland)

Colkitto

38 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

You can't contribute to the social cohesion of the UK if you accurately and fairly report even one fact which may more likely the breakup of the UK it's not possible.  

Of course you can.  Don't be fucking stupid.  One can be socially cohesive whilst politically at odds.  This is what sane people do.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One aspect of BBC news coverage which I find rather insulting, to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland is the reporting of devolved issues that are particular only to England.  They are, very often, the lead story on bulletins and yet have very little relevance to the other home nations.

We might say that that is inevitable, given that one country holds 85% of the populace but it only serves to accentuate the myth of equality.

It is something that should've been remedied a long time ago but there clearly isn't the appetite for it.

9 hours ago, hehawhehaw said:

I have heard many times on the BBC radio and TV that weeseaweed is threatening to call sepref2. I note she never uses the words will or shall when talking about sepref2. Is that because the BBC never reports this or the fact she never mention the words?

Eh....the point being?

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 22:39, The_Kincardine said:

Of course you can.  Don't be fucking stupid.  One can be socially cohesive whilst politically at odds.  This is what sane people do.

It's P I you're talking to.

On 02/01/2017 at 22:45, Shades75 said:

One aspect of BBC news coverage which I find rather insulting, to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland is the reporting of devolved issues that are particular only to England.  They are, very often, the lead story on bulletins and yet have very little relevance to the other home nations.

We might say that that is inevitable, given that one country holds 85% of the populace but it only serves to accentuate the myth of equality.

It is something that should've been remedied a long time ago but there clearly isn't the appetite for it.

Its when the fecking cricket is the lead item in the news ffs

12 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Its when the fecking cricket is the lead item in the news ffs

and also when they say 'up north' or 'the north-east' I immediately think of the Aberdeen area.

How silly of me.

and also when they lead with the NHS or Education, guess which ones they're talking about.

• 7 months later...
10 hours ago, sophia said:

Reporting Scotland leading with anti SNP sepsis awareness puff piece rather than the positivity of the new bridge opening.

It's like the glory days of Eleanor Bradford 

Watched Reporting Scotland last night and Jackie Bird must have said "Growing pressure" on SNP  government about 5 or 6 times within a 30 minute programme.

She never actually explained who the "growing pressure" was from and why they seemed to believe there was any pressure on the government at all as the Health Minister said Sepsis cases had fallen by 21%.

Also not often you see a "Queen" story relegated to a 2nd or 3rd headline 

There's an old saying in journalism that  "Good news doesn't sell newspapers" and that pretty much sums up the way the BBC Scotland reports on SNP matters, in that they show what they perceive as the unacceptable side of the SNP to discourage voters, meanwhile they will continue to portray Bully Davidson as some sort of Joan of Arc when in fact she was a failed journalist prior to entering politics.

Why are BBC Scotland so anti independance? and why are their staff so supportive of this?

The answer is simple, when we do gain independence our population base will not be able to finance a fully Scottish government funded TV and Radio broadcaster as we know it at present. So many BBC Scotland staff would lose their jobs as I'm sure they are aware of.

At the end of the day BBC overall spouts government policies, listen in to BBC Radio Scotland any morning and you will hear listeners asking to phone in on various subjects which really amounts to government surveys on how the population is feeling.

Watched Reporting Scotland last night and Jackie Bird must have said "Growing pressure" on SNP government about 5 or 6 times within a 30 minute programme.
She never actually explained who the "growing pressure" was from and why they seemed to believe there was any pressure on the government at all as the Health Minister said Sepsis cases had fallen by 21%.

Also not often you see a "Queen" story relegated to a 2nd or 3rd headline

This, only got in for the end "summing up of headlines" some guff about Trump and Nth. Korea, then the sepsis problem, no mention of the bridge,they really are not even trying to hide it now.

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 21:41, Peppino Impastato said:

Course it is, from ww2 to the miners strike to the Scottish referendum the BBC has actively colluded with the government to distort information,  suppress information and present the facts the way the British government wants them presented.   Read their latest charter statement,  they are legally required to promote the UK and social cohesion within it, meaning it's literally illegal for them to for example show balance on all issues relating to Scottish independence as their charter requires them to promote the UK. 

The real idiots are the ones who think only their news isn't biased.

New to this forum but browsing through came across this. Its a fairly accurate post. We need to look no further than the BBCs disgraceful reporting on the Iraq War to see who's mouthpiece they ultimately are.  

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

The answer is simple, when we do gain independence our population base will not be able to finance a fully Scottish government funded TV and Radio broadcaster as we know it at present. So many BBC Scotland staff would lose their jobs as I'm sure they are aware of.

Pish.

The BBC must be the only institution in Scotland that NOBODY has any faith in.

Nationalists claim that it presented biased coverage in favour of the remain vote.

Unionists claim that nationalist MPs get an easy ride when interviewed.

The right claim that it's inherrently left wing.

The left claim that they give Corbyn unfavourable coverage.

Essentially if the BBC doesnt match your exact world view then it falls subject to accusations of bias.

The bbc has always been the propaganda arm of the government. The world service introduced to misinform Johnny Foreigner across the empire. The statement above about inability to fund a tv/radio service after independence us total bunkum, I bet that the Lithuanian TV service is in HD and showed the internationals over the weekend, and they will manage fine with the small percentage of resources that Scotland have.

2 hours ago, Archiepluff said:

New to this forum but browsing through came across this. Its a fairly accurate post. We need to look no further than the BBCs disgraceful reporting on the Iraq War to see who's mouthpiece they ultimately are.  

Nonsense. The Director General was forced to resign over their coverage of the "dodgy dossier", accusing Downing Street of sexing up the intelligence.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Nonsense. The Director General was forced to resign over their coverage of the "dodgy dossier", accusing Downing Street of sexing up the intelligence.

This was long after the war was over and Dyke was effectively punished for questioning the government line so I don't know what point you think you're making.

5 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

This was long after the war was over and Dyke was effectively punished for questioning the government line so I don't know what point you think you're making.

It stemmed from a Today programme report by Andrew Gilligan in May of 2003. There was lots of critical coverage right through the war, and leading up to it.

Archived