G_Man1985

17 for '17 - The Official Thread

32 posts in this topic

Why do you keep posting my name on here?

Why did you ask about my new job when you know the answer ? :-)

On 12/31/2016 at 11:01, Adam said:

3. Buy and read Down and Out in Paris and London

Good shout, fella. An amazing read, makes you appreciate how easy life is now compared to the recent past.

I'll go with '7 for '17.

1. Stick in at current job, start to look for another job from Easter. My current job is tough with very long days, if I could find something similar but easier that'd be perfect.

2. Buy an apartment/house. Our town is very expensive to buy in, but I'm tired of paying rent so if we can find somewhere decent/affordable I'd like to go for it.

3. Write a novel. Will be difficult given the job, but I just bought a cheap, mini laptop thinking I could write during the commute. We'll see.

4. Do a better job of keeping up with family & friends. I say this every year and never live up to it. Maybe this year!

5. Watch a game at Lyon or St Etienne. I much prefer Les Verts, but would like to see Lyon's new stadium.

6. Read a book in French each month. 

7. Encourage and help the kids with their schoolwork/reading/activities. 

oh, and 8. If Thistle end up in the Scottish Cup final or the relegation playoff final, attend. There is unfortunately/fortunately no chance of this happening, but I'll put it down anyway.

Good luck everyone with your list!

Achieved about 9/10 of mine last year of the top of my head.  Here's to 2017 being more successful!

1 - Get fit.  I'm getting married in March next year and would like to actually look decent in the pictures

2 - Surveys. Something that I have done for the last couple of years is do surveys online (One Poll and I-Say) to get extra money.  In 2015 I must have earned about an extra £200 with £80 from One Poll and £120 of Amazon Vouchers from I-Say.  Last year I barely managed half of that as I lost interest in doing them.  Must get back into it as it makes Christmas shopping much easier.

3 - Promotion. Missed out on a promotion recently despite giving an 'excellent' interview.  Can't still be in this job in a years time!

4 - Cowdenbeath.  Last year I attended about 5 matches which is pathetic. Must improve.

5 - Travel somewhere new. Same as every year! Last year I went to Iceland and Amsterdam - this year with a wedding to pay for it'll be harder but think I'll squeeze in Budapest.

UPDATE - booked a few days in Budapest in October. 

6 - Pass my CIMA exams. Currently working my way through the second course and struggling to get into it.  Passed the first one in September and had hoped to be sitting my next exam before the end of January but that's not happening. Got this and 2 more courses to do to achieve the certificate level.

7 - Save money.  Not in terms of putting money a-side but actually sorting out my bills. Car insurance due soon as is broadband and would like to save some money! Big one in 2017 being my mortgage needing discussed.

8 - Go to a gig.  I've not been to a gig (outwith being dragged to see Jason bloody Derulo) since October 2015.  Not good enough!

9 - Get to the NFL in London.  Might not be possible financially but would love to go!

10 - Decorate the house.  We've been in our house now for 18 months and still have a spare room to decorate as well as new carpet for half the house.

11 - Eat a Five Guys burger.  Giving myself an easy one here - almost everybody I know has had one and loves it.  One opened in Aberdeen in November last year. 

12 - Walk more.  I've bought a Fitbit last year and would like to try and go a whole month hitting 10000 steps a day. I tend to smash it Monday - Friday and then do nothing at the weekends.

13 - Create a Bucket List.  Yesterday I seen photos of the Edge Walk in Toronto which I'd love to do one day. Going to try and create a Bucket List of 25 things to achieve before I'm 40 or 50.

I'll add more to this as I think of stuff!

Edited by The Minertaur

Think I'll try this for 2017...

1. Stop eating as much chocolate and sweets. I eat far too much chocolate and really need to stop. Only have as a weekend treat. 

2. Lose the rest of "baby weight". I'm back in all my pre-pregnancy clothes but still not back in the shape I want to be.

3. Go swimming at least once a week. Now wee one is older and more settled I should manage this.

4. Decorate the rest of the house. We've done the sitting room now just need to do the rest of the house.

5. Go on holiday with the wee one. Will tick this off in May as we have booked a holiday to Centre Parcs. 

6. Save money. Maternity wage stops in February and I'm not going back to work until June. I have a few grand saved already but would love to have £4-5 grand by the end of the year. 

7. Get out the house more, try some new baby groups and make some mum friends. 

That'll do me. All of those achievable.

My health is pretty good overall despite pigging out over Christmas but there is obviously room for improvement - 

1) Cut the drink down - Both a reduction of how much i have each time i drink and go one week each month without a single drink

2) Reduce caffeine intake - 3 cups of coffee a day maximum

3) Play badminton and 5 a sides more regularly.

4) Plan my meals in advance for a few days and take more care in preparing healthy foods on the go rather than just buying whats most convenient at the time. Both for health and for my finances.

5) Improve my diet and health in general, try different foods and exercise as often as possible.

On a financial/career level

6) Get relevant employment after i graduate so I'm taking a positive step for my career - if this doesn't happen i might go back to uni and do a masters

7) Get my name on the mortgage.

8 ) Gamble less and stick to a set weekly budget, and perhaps try to actually win occasionally. 

On a personal level

9) Holiday to Italy and another trip away when my exams are done.

10) Propose to/impregnate my GF (Failing that get rid of her.)

11) Make more effort with friends that ti haven't seen in years

12) Tile my bathroom and kitchen.

13) Decorate my bedroom/spare room/hallway.

14) Spend less time watching shit on youtube/talking shite on social media.

Cant think of more but if i can pull these off and in particular get a good job then i'll be delighted. 

Edited by throbber

Why did you ask about my new job when you know the answer ? :-)

Because you mentioned it like ten times in your 17 for 17. Seriously though you've used my name on here like 6-7 times and have told people where I work.

Because you mentioned it like ten times in your 17 for 17. Seriously though you've used my name on here like 6-7 times and have told people where I work.

I did because money is changing my life. Like it did yours ?

Is there an issue here ?

I did because money is changing my life. Like it did yours ?
Is there an issue here ?

It was a wee joke about the job thing. I do have an issue with you giving away my personal details though.

It was a wee joke about the job thing. I do have an issue with you giving away my personal details though.

I know for a small fee per year I think you can change your username. :-)

On 1/4/2017 at 15:31, throbber said:

10) Propose to/impregnate my GF (Failing that get rid of her.)

I'd maybe ditch the middle bit and focus on either the start or end of 10) 

If it's not too late to join I'll come up with a list of things I'd like to achieve this year and post later on.