G_Man1985

17 for '17 - The Official Thread

39 posts in this topic

Why do you keep posting my name on here?

Why did you ask about my new job when you know the answer ? :-)

On 12/31/2016 at 11:01, Adam said:

3. Buy and read Down and Out in Paris and London

Good shout, fella. An amazing read, makes you appreciate how easy life is now compared to the recent past.

I'll go with '7 for '17.

1. Stick in at current job, start to look for another job from Easter. My current job is tough with very long days, if I could find something similar but easier that'd be perfect.

2. Buy an apartment/house. Our town is very expensive to buy in, but I'm tired of paying rent so if we can find somewhere decent/affordable I'd like to go for it.

3. Write a novel. Will be difficult given the job, but I just bought a cheap, mini laptop thinking I could write during the commute. We'll see.

4. Do a better job of keeping up with family & friends. I say this every year and never live up to it. Maybe this year!

5. Watch a game at Lyon or St Etienne. I much prefer Les Verts, but would like to see Lyon's new stadium.

6. Read a book in French each month. 

7. Encourage and help the kids with their schoolwork/reading/activities. 

oh, and 8. If Thistle end up in the Scottish Cup final or the relegation playoff final, attend. There is unfortunately/fortunately no chance of this happening, but I'll put it down anyway.

Good luck everyone with your list!

Achieved about 9/10 of mine last year of the top of my head.  Here's to 2017 being more successful!

1 - Get fit.  I'm getting married in March next year and would like to actually look decent in the pictures

2 - Surveys. Something that I have done for the last couple of years is do surveys online (One Poll and I-Say) to get extra money.  In 2015 I must have earned about an extra £200 with £80 from One Poll and £120 of Amazon Vouchers from I-Say.  Last year I barely managed half of that as I lost interest in doing them.  Must get back into it as it makes Christmas shopping much easier.

3 - Promotion. Missed out on a promotion recently despite giving an 'excellent' interview.  Can't still be in this job in a years time!

4 - Cowdenbeath.  Last year I attended about 5 matches which is pathetic. Must improve.

5 - Travel somewhere new. Same as every year! Last year I went to Iceland and Amsterdam - this year with a wedding to pay for it'll be harder but think I'll squeeze in Budapest.

UPDATE - booked a few days in Budapest in October. 

6 - Pass my CIMA exams. Currently working my way through the second course and struggling to get into it.  Passed the first one in September and had hoped to be sitting my next exam before the end of January but that's not happening. Got this and 2 more courses to do to achieve the certificate level.

7 - Save money.  Not in terms of putting money a-side but actually sorting out my bills. Car insurance due soon as is broadband and would like to save some money! Big one in 2017 being my mortgage needing discussed.

8 - Go to a gig.  I've not been to a gig (outwith being dragged to see Jason bloody Derulo) since October 2015.  Not good enough!

9 - Get to the NFL in London.  Might not be possible financially but would love to go!

10 - Decorate the house.  We've been in our house now for 18 months and still have a spare room to decorate as well as new carpet for half the house.

11 - Eat a Five Guys burger.  Giving myself an easy one here - almost everybody I know has had one and loves it.  One opened in Aberdeen in November last year. 

12 - Walk more.  I've bought a Fitbit last year and would like to try and go a whole month hitting 10000 steps a day. I tend to smash it Monday - Friday and then do nothing at the weekends.

13 - Create a Bucket List.  Yesterday I seen photos of the Edge Walk in Toronto which I'd love to do one day. Going to try and create a Bucket List of 25 things to achieve before I'm 40 or 50.

I'll add more to this as I think of stuff!

Edited by The Minertaur

Think I'll try this for 2017...

1. Stop eating as much chocolate and sweets. I eat far too much chocolate and really need to stop. Only have as a weekend treat. 

2. Lose the rest of "baby weight". I'm back in all my pre-pregnancy clothes but still not back in the shape I want to be.

3. Go swimming at least once a week. Now wee one is older and more settled I should manage this.

4. Decorate the rest of the house. We've done the sitting room now just need to do the rest of the house.

5. Go on holiday with the wee one. Will tick this off in May as we have booked a holiday to Centre Parcs. 

6. Save money. Maternity wage stops in February and I'm not going back to work until June. I have a few grand saved already but would love to have £4-5 grand by the end of the year. 

7. Get out the house more, try some new baby groups and make some mum friends. 

That'll do me. All of those achievable.

My health is pretty good overall despite pigging out over Christmas but there is obviously room for improvement - 

1) Cut the drink down - Both a reduction of how much i have each time i drink and go one week each month without a single drink

2) Reduce caffeine intake - 3 cups of coffee a day maximum

3) Play badminton and 5 a sides more regularly.

4) Plan my meals in advance for a few days and take more care in preparing healthy foods on the go rather than just buying whats most convenient at the time. Both for health and for my finances.

5) Improve my diet and health in general, try different foods and exercise as often as possible.

On a financial/career level

6) Get relevant employment after i graduate so I'm taking a positive step for my career - if this doesn't happen i might go back to uni and do a masters

7) Get my name on the mortgage.

8 ) Gamble less and stick to a set weekly budget, and perhaps try to actually win occasionally. 

On a personal level

9) Holiday to Italy and another trip away when my exams are done.

10) Propose to/impregnate my GF (Failing that get rid of her.)

11) Make more effort with friends that ti haven't seen in years

12) Tile my bathroom and kitchen.

13) Decorate my bedroom/spare room/hallway.

14) Spend less time watching shit on youtube/talking shite on social media.

Cant think of more but if i can pull these off and in particular get a good job then i'll be delighted. 

Edited by throbber

Why did you ask about my new job when you know the answer ? :-)

Because you mentioned it like ten times in your 17 for 17. Seriously though you've used my name on here like 6-7 times and have told people where I work.

Because you mentioned it like ten times in your 17 for 17. Seriously though you've used my name on here like 6-7 times and have told people where I work.

I did because money is changing my life. Like it did yours ?

Is there an issue here ?

I did because money is changing my life. Like it did yours ?
Is there an issue here ?

It was a wee joke about the job thing. I do have an issue with you giving away my personal details though.

It was a wee joke about the job thing. I do have an issue with you giving away my personal details though.

I know for a small fee per year I think you can change your username. :-)

On 1/4/2017 at 15:31, throbber said:

10) Propose to/impregnate my GF (Failing that get rid of her.)

I'd maybe ditch the middle bit and focus on either the start or end of 10) 

If it's not too late to join I'll come up with a list of things I'd like to achieve this year and post later on. 

Bit late but I always like to do these.

1.) Get a full time job - Preferably in line with my degree. Working part-time just now and enjoying it, but I'd like to start thinking about moving out of the parents' house soon and will need better money.

2.) Cut body fat - I've already made a good start on this in the last couple of weeks, cooking all my own meals for the week ahead and going to gym and fitness classes more regularly. Seeing some early progress too, but the ultimate goal is a six pack like my boi in the avatar.

3.) Save £1000 - No real pressure on me to spend too much money just now, so no reason why I shouldn't be able to do this.

4.) Go 2 weeks without smoking - I seldom smoke more than 20 a week tops, but it can be a niggly little habit that has the potential to get out of control. Would give me some reassurance that I'm in control of it if I can cut it out even for a couple of weeks.

5.) Read more books - I've only read Jeremy Paxman's new book since leaving uni. Fantasy literature was something that really grew on me in my last year, especially Mervyn Peake and E.R. Eddison, so that's probably the kind of area I'd start.

6.) Start driving lessons - Something I really should have started a few years ago, but couldn't be arsed with.

7.) Visit a new ground - Probably the least likely to get done. Only Pittodrie and Fir Park to tick off in the league, neither of which get the plumbs pumping, so hoping for a good cup draw. Going to Wembley saved this for me last year but I'm growing more and more disenchanted with the national team.

2016 was a joke for me, I managed one from 11.

I doubt I'll put together 17, maybe 4 bigger ones.

1) Get a new job (preferably the one I am currently going through the application process for), or get the pay rise I deserve on my current role.

2) improve my financial position.

3) stop getting fat. Eat better, exercise better.

4) start studying for professional qualifications (certificate in insurance).

Number 1 complete. This should also see to number 2.
Number 3 is going well, 7 pounds down over the last month and feeling fitter.
I am looking in to the specifics of 4 at the moment.

On 29/12/2016 at 23:55, Dazzle said:

I'm just going to do 7 for 17 and not clog up my list with the usual shite I either achieve easily or lose interest in, my 7 will be big things for me that I really want to do in 2017. 

Nfl London - Get back to NFL London in October, it was a fantastic trip with my mate just there and to make it better my team are playing this time, I'd love to get this one gone.

Get abroad - not had a holiday just me and the mrs together for over 3 years now as something always comes up, nothing crazy just a week in Tenerife or some such relaxing away with a few beers. 

Be In a better position financially than now- this could be a lot of things really, I'd like to reduce my direct debits down a little, I have a little bit of credit card debt I'd like to chop away at and I'd like to save some money on top off...

Save £4000 for the wedding - I get married in 2018 and I've only paid the deposit on the venue so far, ideally I'll put anywhere from £300-£400 away each month next year. 

Month drink free, lose weight, take gym seriously again - this is my health goals wrapped into one, I'm basically now overweight, I'm still only a 34" waist and 15 stone and I'm 6 foot 3 so I'm not really fat but Im a bit chubby round the belly these days due to bad diet and drinking too much, I've been hitting the weights pretty hard at the gym for about 6 months now and my strength training is going well, so it's time to up the cardio and turn the fat into muscle. 

Get handicap at golf below 10 - started back at the golf last year and got an 18 handicap, got that down 13 by the end of the season, I used to play of 7 so this is challenging but achievable if I put the work in. 

Get man cave how I want it - had my house for over a year now and one of the big things I wanted in a house was a man cave for me to just go in and relax but so far all I've done is painted and carpeted it, my PS4 is in there and my beer fridge but there no where to sit, or basically anything else in there, I've a few ideas to make the place my getaway. 

1. Me and a mate are really keen for this so I'm assuming it will happen, gonna try get a ticket when they go on sale in April, if not I'll pick one up off a website for an obscene amount. Should happen. 

2. Holiday to Tenerife booked but it's another couples holiday, tbh I'm quite happy with this as it's two of my best mates and two of her best mates who are all away together, should be a good time - complete pending paying the thing off. 

3. I've paid a couple of direct debits off now and we've saved a little bit of money (which tbh will ultimately go on the holiday so doesn't really count) not come down at all on the CC - can do better. 

4. Put £800 away already and same again  should be very doable, I may have to dip in to pay for deposits etc but I should get the full amount saved away - good progress 

5. Month free drink was achieved in January and was a lot harder than I thought which is a little concerning, I also lost a stone between January first and mid February, it's stagnated a little recently with too many nights out and hungover Sundays. I'm still maintaining the loss though and after this weekend I should have a few drink free weekends coming up to kick start me again - good progress. 

6. Went down for my first round on Monday and had a respectable 91, I checked and my handicap is actually 15 having started at 19 but I'll leave the goal of 9 there as a target, may not be doable but I like a challenge, few medals coming up to get me on the way and see how much rust I have - no progress. Yet. 

7. Terrible, I've moved a couple of this out which was cluttering but that's all, been given a few gifts which I want in there and framed (signed Sergio Garcia ball and Rovers strip) and I have a couch to pick up - need to get my finger out. 

Not too bad for 2 months in and plenty to be positive about. 

On 31/12/2016 at 14:12, G_Man1985 said:

Here we go again.

1. Save £3000 - Now on a better wage earning more money, i wanna save some pennies

2. Go on 2 holidays this year - Would be wicked to take the kids on two holidays, i have the money so why not eh

3 Visit a new football ground - Didn't do it last year so need to get finger out and get this done

4. Learn to cook 3 dishes - Need to do this and get into cooking more, will benefit me in life

5. Finish off all seasons of Breaking Bad - Didn't really get round to it always seem to be busy doing other things,

6. Get a new gate for the back garden. - Didn't realise how much they cost, earning more so should be able to get one put in

7. Put a floor on the attic - Want to use the space that is up there as its just wasted, will see if i can afford it or not

8.Sample 3 new restaurants - Did this last year and i like change

9. Complete a computer game - As i have a new job i don't get much time to play games so would be nice to complete one

10. Finish reading one book - I do like reading just don't do it enough so have a few books here that i can read

11. Go on a night out somewhere different - I like a good night out so somewhere different would be cool

12. Buy a new laptop - Because i can and this one is bollox

13. Win a league in a foreign country in FM - Im shite at the game so would be nice to win

14. No drinking alcohol in 2017 - This will probably fail but gonna give it a bash, im a lightweight and i hate it

15. Watch all of Vikings - Started off good then i couldn't be fucked with it, i just need to keep at it

16. No McDonalds - Nothing comes good from eating it as feel shite after it.

17. Get a new mobile - I don't need one and right now I don't want a new one but could change my mind

Here is to 2017 :)

15.Completed 4/2/17 Pretty good show

14 Fucked it 
16 Fucked it
13. 23/2/17. Playing fm 12 won league and cup with PSV
12. 24/2/17 Got a new laptop. HAPPY DAYS
17. 9/3/17 Got a new mobile. 

A fair few i am not going to complete by the looks of it. Baws

A wee update. Started alright but rest of the year just cant see majority of them happening, gotta keep positive

On 28/12/2016 at 23:47, jupe1407 said:

I think I managed around half of my 16/16, a considerable improvement on about 3/15 the previous year :lol:

Anyway (I may edit this before Hogmanay)

1. Do a total of 1500 bike miles this year.  - Done 232 miles so far, all in the last 6 weeks. By the time I've trained for a couple of Etape/Sportives and also put in a good few miles on the mountain bike, I expect to make 1500 by October. 

2. Climb at least a further 40 munros to get over the 200 mark - On 168 now, barring injury I should pass 200 fairly easily by summer. 

3. Wild camp somewhere in the NW of Scotland

4. Get shortlisted in a national landscape photography competition

5. Get to a Dundee game either home, away or both

6. Get my weight below 13 stones

7. Get a photo of Loch Coruisk from the summit of Sgurr na Stri. It's a pretty special view - DONE. It's one of the best views in Scotland, maybe anywhere. I camped overnight on the hill after carrying my kit about 5 miles in and up 600m. Brutal on a scorching hot day, but well worth. One off the bucket list. 

33655044096_90b00e9f1f_c.jpg

8. Read at least 5 books - Almost 2 done. "8000 metres" by Alan Hinckes and nearly finished "A Life too Short"

9. Exercise at least 3 times a week throughout the year - Still on track. I've been quite lucky with illness/injury so far though. 

10. Walk at least 500 miles (insert Proclaimers joke here) - 72.5 miles only so far. However I'll make this hopefully after summer. Got a few biggish walks planned. 

11. £2000 in savings by end of year 

12. Completely redecorate flat/or move house

13. Get round to getting married

14. See the sun rise from a mountain summit - DONE, together with no 7. Woke up at 6:55am and nipped over to the summit of Sgurr na Stri from the tent to catch the sun rising over Kintail. Glorious. 

32853284564_7a071aff74_c.jpg

15. Stay in 3 new bothies - One so far - Coire Fionnairaich near Lochcarron. 

16. Get my mountain bike to a munro summit

17. Complete at least two Sportive/Etape events 

For your number 15 I genuinely saw 'brothel'. I am currently very hungover though.

For your number 15 I genuinely saw 'brothel'. I am currently very hungover though.

If only.

On 2016-12-28 at 23:47, jupe1407 said:

8. Read at least 5 books -  nearly finished "A Life too Short"

Throbber's autobiography?