G_Man1985

17 for '17 - The Official Thread

34 posts in this topic

I thought I'd start this in plenty of time to allow people to have a good think about their list so people can post it up before New Year.

What do you have to do?

1. Create of list of 17 aims or goals you wish to achieve by the end of 2017. It can be anything you want, but it's probably best to make them reasonably challenging so that completing one is a good effort.
2. Write a short explanation of each
3. Post them here
4. Track your progress!

Have a look at the pinned thread '16' for '16' if you want inspiration.

I think I managed around half of my 16/16, a considerable improvement on about 3/15 the previous year :lol:

Anyway (I may edit this before Hogmanay)

1. Do a total of 1500 bike miles this year. 

2. Climb at least a further 40 munros to get over the 200 mark

3. Wild camp somewhere in the NW of Scotland

4. Get shortlisted in a national landscape photography competition

5. Get to a Dundee game either home, away or both

6. Get my weight below 13 stones

7. Get a photo of Loch Coruisk from the summit of Sgurr na Stri. It's a pretty special view

8. Read at least 5 books

9. Exercise at least 3 times a week throughout the year

10. Walk at least 500 miles (insert Proclaimers joke here)

11. £2000 in savings by end of year

12. Completely redecorate flat/or move house

13. Get round to getting married

14. See the sun rise from a mountain summit

15. Stay in 3 new bothies

16. Get my mountain bike to a munro summit

17. Complete at least two Sportive/Etape events 

I haven't done the previous years versions of this so we'll see how I get on!

1) learn to drive and pass my practical test before my theory test pass runs out in Nov.

2) Do at least 3 multi-day walking trips. Not necessarily point to point but want to get used to the time on my feet over a few days.

3) Climb a Munro (only done 1 so far)

4) Do some Wild Swimming.

5) Start my Librarian Chartership award (run by the professional body CILIP, I've got the academic qualifications now just need to put together a portfolio).

6) Start a Postgrad degree in Copyright Law (useful in my line of work).

7) Do some running again (up to 10km by end of the year).

8) to complete a 5km race at some point in the year.

9) Move away from Edinburgh.

10) get a better job with better pay, preferably back towards Librarianship and away from academic research.

11) reach my target weight of 10st

12) pick up learning German again

13) Pass P3 grading in Krav Maga

14) Pass P4 grading in Krav Maga (one depends on the other so I've made them separate so I can still achieve one goal if I fail P3 once I can try again after 6 months).

15) Visit at least one new football stadium.

16) Visit at least one non-European Country (slightly cheating as I know I am going to Thailand in Feb but going outside the EU was a goal of mine for a while now!)

17) Stealing from Jupe now but it's a great aim - I am going to aim to walk at least 500 miles this year.

2016 was a joke for me, I managed one from 11.

I doubt I'll put together 17, maybe 4 bigger ones.

1) Get a new job (preferably the one I am currently going through the application process for), or get the pay rise I deserve on my current role.

2) improve my financial position.

3) stop getting fat. Eat better, exercise better.

4) start studying for professional qualifications (certificate in insurance).

I'm just going to do 7 for 17 and not clog up my list with the usual shite I either achieve easily or lose interest in, my 7 will be big things for me that I really want to do in 2017. 

Nfl London - Get back to NFL London in October, it was a fantastic trip with my mate just there and to make it better my team are playing this time, I'd love to get this one gone.

Get abroad - not had a holiday just me and the mrs together for over 3 years now as something always comes up, nothing crazy just a week in Tenerife or some such relaxing away with a few beers. 

Be In a better position financially than now- this could be a lot of things really, I'd like to reduce my direct debits down a little, I have a little bit of credit card debt I'd like to chop away at and I'd like to save some money on top off...

Save £4000 for the wedding - I get married in 2018 and I've only paid the deposit on the venue so far, ideally I'll put anywhere from £300-£400 away each month next year. 

Month drink free, lose weight, take gym seriously again - this is my health goals wrapped into one, I'm basically now overweight, I'm still only a 34" waist and 15 stone and I'm 6 foot 3 so I'm not really fat but Im a bit chubby round the belly these days due to bad diet and drinking too much, I've been hitting the weights pretty hard at the gym for about 6 months now and my strength training is going well, so it's time to up the cardio and turn the fat into muscle. 

Get handicap at golf below 10 - started back at the golf last year and got an 18 handicap, got that down 13 by the end of the season, I used to play of 7 so this is challenging but achievable if I put the work in. 

Get man cave how I want it - had my house for over a year now and one of the big things I wanted in a house was a man cave for me to just go in and relax but so far all I've done is painted and carpeted it, my PS4 is in there and my beer fridge but there no where to sit, or basically anything else in there, I've a few ideas to make the place my getaway. 

13 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I am going to aim to walk at least 1000 miles this year. Since hill-walking is my main aim this year I've upped it from 500.

If you're planning hill walking you should reduce it, not increase it.

I think I managed around half of my 16/16, a considerable improvement on about 3/15 the previous year 
Anyway (I may edit this before Hogmanay)
1. Do a total of 1500 bike miles this year. 
2. Climb at least a further 40 munros to get over the 200 mark
3. Wild camp somewhere in the NW of Scotland
4. Get shortlisted in a national landscape photography competition
5. Get to a Dundee game either home, away or both
6. Get my weight below 13 stones
7. Get a photo of Loch Coruisk from the summit of Sgurr na Stri. It's a pretty special view
8. Read at least 5 books
9. Exercise at least 3 times a week throughout the year
10. Walk at least 500 miles (insert Proclaimers joke here)
11. £2000 in savings by end of year
12. Completely redecorate flat/or move house
13. Get round to getting married
14. See the sun rise from a mountain summit
15. Stay in 3 new bothies
16. Get my mountain bike to a munro summit
17. Complete at least two Sportive/Etape events 

For your number 3, I would recommend Sandwood Bay - beautiful.

For your number 3, I would recommend Sandwood Bay - beautiful.

Aye it's on a long list of possibles

I'm not doing 17, can't be arsed with a specific number.

1. From 15 February to 14 March, spend no more than £5 each day.  This is to include breakfast, lunch and dinner and anything else.  I will obviously pay my rent/Council Tax and other bills before and during this.

2. Spend more time playing with my kids when I have them, and get them off their iPads as much as possible.

3. Buy and read Down and Out in Paris and London, Coming up for Air and Homage to Catalonia.

4. Go swimming at least once a month, whether with my kids, or after work on my own.

5. Climb Ben Lomond again.

6. Do a long save on FM.

7. From my April wage onwards, save £50 a month in order to pay a pretty big chunk of my rent in December, thus having more money for Christmas.

8. Drink less.

9. Write one good thing about my week every Sunday night and put it in a jar in my kitchen, and open next NYE.  2016 has been a c**t of a year in many ways for me, last year I was writing about planning an amazing surprise for my wedding anniversary.  In 2017, I'm getting a divorce.

10. Enjoy my life more.  Don't dread doing things outside of my comfort zone, so would like to do five things this year that I have never done before.  

Edited by Adam

Here we go again.

1. Save £3000 - Now on a better wage earning more money, i wanna save some pennies

2. Go on 2 holidays this year - Would be wicked to take the kids on two holidays, i have the money so why not eh

3 Visit a new football ground - Didn't do it last year so need to get finger out and get this done

4. Learn to cook 3 dishes - Need to do this and get into cooking more, will benefit me in life

5. Finish off all seasons of Breaking Bad - Didn't really get round to it always seem to be busy doing other things,

6. Get a new gate for the back garden. - Didn't realise how much they cost, earning more so should be able to get one put in

7. Put a floor on the attic - Want to use the space that is up there as its just wasted, will see if i can afford it or not

8.Sample 3 new restaurants - Did this last year and i like change

9. Complete a computer game - As i have a new job i don't get much time to play games so would be nice to complete one

10. Finish reading one book - I do like reading just don't do it enough so have a few books here that i can read

11. Go on a night out somewhere different - I like a good night out so somewhere different would be cool

12. Buy a new laptop - Because i can and this one is bollox

13. Win a league in a foreign country in FM - Im shite at the game so would be nice to win

14. No drinking alcohol in 2017 - This will probably fail but gonna give it a bash, im a lightweight and i hate it

15. Watch all of Vikings - Started off good then i couldn't be fucked with it, i just need to keep at it

16. No McDonalds - Nothing comes good from eating it as feel shite after it.

17. Get a new mobile - I don't need one and right now I don't want a new one but could change my mind

Here is to 2017 :)

15.Completed 4/2/17 Pretty good show

14 Fucked it 
16 Fucked it
13. 23/2/17. Playing fm 12 won league and cup with PSV
12. 24/2/17 Got a new laptop. HAPPY DAYS

Edited by G_Man1985

1 – I will walk 500 miles

2 – and I will walk 500 more

(Keep Fit with The Proclaimers, as Jupe 1407 and Jambomo have already mentioned)

An effort for a soon-to-be 62 year old prodigious bar-stool occupant to do a ‘now or never’ get into better shape programme.  Since I got the MapMyWalk app on my phone I have enjoyed seeing what I can tramp out. I did 100 miles in September 2016  just to judge the workload required. 500 between January to June, with a second 500 from July to December. Average about 20 per week.

3 – Read a yard of books.

I Look at the stack of paperbacks on my wee shelf  - 6 books = 6 inches and realise I would need to get through over 32 -36. The bulk would be fairly light reading (detective fiction, football related) with a few more complex tomes to give me a challenge….

4 – attend over 30 football matches. On a 3 weeks on / 3 weeks off North Sea rota that should deter that staying in the pub watching Sky Sports Saturday instead of heading through a turnstile.

5 – watch an Edinburgh City match at Meadowbank and visit Cove Rangers new ground when it is ready. Maintain my groundhopper 100% of SPFL and SHFL grounds.

6 – watch 100 movies. Mostly Sky Movies in my oil rig cabin, but more multiplex visits is a habit I want to get into.

7 – Have 60 of my 168 days at home as ‘pub free’. Too easy to drop in for a pint early doors, then let the day slip by with beer and banter, but no positive activity

8 – Lose a stone in weight.

9 – redecorate the house, room-by-room.

10 – make my neglected garden into something the neighbours don’t use as the low-point comparison standard that makes theirs look OK.

11 -  Family stuff, where I need to raise my game.

12 – work stuff, where I need to raise my game.

13 -  Continue goading followers of Sevco.

14 – Integrated with the walking 500 / 500. Plan to do as many legs of a North-East corner  Inverness to Dundee ‘coast walk’

15 -  Go on an away trip in Europe with Dons  (sadly haven’t managed to do this up to now.)

16 -  Cut out – or drastically reduce – rubbish eating habits. Somebody else can eat all the pies.

17 -  Attend a couple of music  gigs ( nil  in 2016)

If you're planning hill walking you should reduce it, not increase it.

Indeed, I didn't think about it properly. I'll put it to 500 as well, that's more sensible.

Again not a chance I will manage 17

1-Go on a diet and lose at least 2 stone.

2-Put at least £300 a month away for our dream of buying a flat in Lanzarote for when I retire in 20 years time.

3-Meh that will do.

I'm not a prolific poster on these forums but really like the idea of doing this.  Feel like I need to have some goals to aim for (no matter how big or small they are) and by posting them up here it might inspire me a bit more to actually try and achieve them.  Good luck to everyone.

1 – Complete 2,000 miles (3,200km) on the bike.  I am slightly overweight and not as fit as I should be.  Not looking to get to a target weight but simply feel trimmer and fitter in myself.

2 – Walk 500 miles (800km).  As above.

3 – Drink 2 litres of water a day.  Will probably add diluting juice regularly for a bit of flavour but I need to drink less tea/Lucozade etc.

4 – Eat 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day.  Although I’m not bad at eating vegetables I could eat more fruit.

5 – Attempt to cook 26 new dishes/recipes.  Add a bit of variety into mealtimes.  Sharing this with the missus so that we try 52 new meals in 2017.  Preferably healthy meals!

6 – Limit takeaways to a maximum of two per month and eat out less.  At the moment we tend to eat out regularly and spend a fair amount of money in the process.

7 – However I would like to try 6 new restaurants in 2017.

8 – Save £5000 towards buying a house.  Already put £200 a month into a Help to Buy ISA but should be able to save double this amount.  Eat out less!

9 – Learn or discover one new thing about Scotland every day.  I have a decent knowledge of Scotland’s history, culture and traditions but there is so much more to learn about the country I was born in.  Could be facts and figures, legends or even just discovering a bit of Gaelic music.

10 – Visit 6 new places of interest across Scotland.  This could be castles, distilleries etc.  This can tie in with number 9.

11 – Go camping at least 3 times in Scotland, ideally somewhere I haven’t been before or haven’t been for a long time.  Only went camping once in 2016.

12 – Play golf at 6 new courses this year.  I don’t play golf regularly but due to working rotating shifts I get plenty of time off midweek to take advantage of special offers at courses which would usually be a fair bit more expensive at weekends.

13 – Shoot 85 or less at golf.  Again I don’t play golf regularly but this year I have shot under 90 on numerous occasions with my best score being 87. 

14 – Make better use of my days off.  I work long hours and can be guilty of being lazy and wasting my days off, particularly mid-week days off.  Hopefully by creating this list I have a ready-made lists of things I can do to fill my time.

15 – Take at least one holiday abroad, whether it be a beach holiday or city break.

16 – Visit my good mate and his wife down in Southampton for a few days.  They’ve been living there since 2010 and we still haven’t been down.

17 – Saving a space for anything that crops up during the year!

Thank god I will probably be dead by 2050. Dont think I could keep up with 50 for 50.

why not just nake it 10 things for the year?

31 minutes ago, supermik said:

Thank god I will probably be dead by 2050. Dont think I could keep up with 50 for 50.

why not just nake it 10 things for the year?

Nothing is stopping you to do so. :)

Here we go again.
1. Save £3000 - Now on a better wage earning more money, i wanna save some pennies
2. Go on 2 holidays this year - Would be wicked to take the kids on two holidays, i have the money so why not eh
3 Visit a new football ground - Didn't do it last year so need to get finger out and get this done
4. Learn to cook 3 dishes - Need to do this and get into cooking more, will benefit me in life
5. Finish off all seasons of Breaking Bad - Didn't really get round to it always seem to be busy doing other things,
6. Get a new gate for the back garden. - Didn't realise how much they cost, earning more so should be able to get one put in
7. Put a floor on the attic - Want to use the space that is up there as its just wasted, will see if i can afford it or not
8.Sample 3 new restaurants - Did this last year and i like change
9. Complete a computer game - As i have a new job i don't get much time to play games so would be nice to complete one
10. Finish reading one book - I do like reading just don't do it enough so have a few books here that i can read
11. Go on a night out somewhere different - I like a good night out so somewhere different would be cool
12. Buy a new laptop - Because i can and this one is bollox
13. Win a league in a foreign country in FM - Im shite at the game so would be nice to win
14. No drinking alcohol in 2017 - This will probably fail but gonna give it a bash, im a lightweight and i hate it
15. Watch all of Vikings - Started off good then i couldn't be fucked with it, i just need to keep at it
16. No McDonalds - Nothing comes good from eating it as feel shite after it.
17. Get a new mobile - I don't need one and right now I don't want a new one but could change my mind

Here is to 2017

"

Isn't this just the same list you've posted the last 3 years? Also did you get a new job?

Isn't this just the same list you've posted the last 3 years? Also did you get a new job?

Hello Michael. A few are the same yes and yes. Hope Santa was good to you and hope this year will be good also.
Why not join in here ?

Hello Michael. A few are the same yes and yes. Hope Santa was good to you and hope this year will be good also.
Why not join in here ?

Why do you keep posting my name on here?