January window shopping .. transfers and other various rumors

It's almost that time of the season where the window opens and the rumors start flying .

What are your team needs and what players would you like to see leave permanently or loaned out to Jrs ...

East fife

I reckon Mutch will be returning to the jrs since he is a young lad that's just not getting any playing time , I'd reckon that we will sign a goalie as Goodfellow looks are out for a few weeks and I reckon Hurst loan is almost up . Also since we only have a current roster of 12-14 healthy player I'd like to see Barry smith bring in maybe atleast 4 new recruits

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm fairly happy with our squad, although I feel the only place we are lacking is at RB, Halkett has done ok there but he's our best CB for me.

Jordan McMillan looks highly likely to be signing for us, he's been training with us for a number of weeks now, if we did sign him i think we'd see one or two go out on loan, maybe Ryan Currie and Morgyn Neill as our likely back 4 would look something along the lines of McMillan, Crighton, Halkett, Longridge, with Lithgow on the bench. 

Wouldnt be against another midfielder but that isn't a necessity.

Liam Kelly to extend his loan until the end of the season.

We have some cracking players in the starting XI but have some right duds too and no squad depth at all. Ideally we'd bring in another defender - a right back to allow Scott Stewart to play further up the park and McIntosh to move into the middle or another centre - half to either directly replace Boateng or so we can switch to a back three of new centre half, Gorman and McIntosh. 

Another striker is needed too. Ryan is superb and Russell is a good player when he's not mouthing off but beyond them we have nothing. Schmidt tries his best but just isn't very good and when Ryan isn't playing we don't look like we'll score. Another striker who is reliable, can come on and change and game or at least be able to hold the ball up and play a little bit of football would make a big difference. People have mentioned Liam Coogans on the Airdrie thread and he is one I would be willing to take a chance on although I would look around to see if there is better too. 

Leighton, McLaughlin and Scullion all look like they could be decent players in the future but just now we look light in terms of quality in midfield. Brown as well probably isn't the required quality we need for a promotion challenge or at least he isn't consistent enough. Another addition in the midfield would be very helpful. 

These additions would greatly improve the squad quality and depth. 

Presumably, James Daly will be moved on and wouldn't be sad to see the back of Kevin Schmidt either.

11 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

We have some cracking players in the starting XI but have some right duds too and no squad depth at all. Ideally we'd bring in another defender - a right back to allow Scott Stewart to play further up the park and McIntosh to move into the middle or another centre - half to either directly replace Boateng or so we can switch to a back three of new centre half, Gorman and McIntosh. 

Another striker is needed too. Ryan is superb and Russell is a good player when he's not mouthing off but beyond them we have nothing. Schmidt tries his best but just isn't very good and when Ryan isn't playing we don't look like we'll score. Another striker who is reliable, can come on and change and game or at least be able to hold the ball up and play a little bit of football would make a big difference. People have mentioned Liam Coogans on the Airdrie thread and he is one I would be willing to take a chance on although I would look around to see if there is better too. 

Leighton, McLaughlin and Scullion all look like they could be decent players in the future but just now we look light in terms of quality in midfield. Brown as well probably isn't the required quality we need for a promotion challenge or at least he isn't consistent enough. Another addition in the midfield would be very helpful. 

Presumably, James Daly will be moved on and wouldn't be sad to see the back of Kevin Schmidt either.

Think Scullions' loan deal is up.

9 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I don't see how Scullion( on loan from Hamilton) has done anything to suggest he could be decent in future in our side. The other two have some potential but tend to agree about Schmidt. Brown is an enigma but he did get that opening goal on Saturday which is always so important. As for coogans the last time I saw him was scoring at the end against Stranraer and he has found it hard to get a strikers role at various levels since then. An addition is needed but lord knows where from?

I don't see how Scullion( on loan from Hamilton) has done anything to suggest he could be decent in future in our side. The other two have some potential but tend to agree about Schmidt. Brown is an enigma but he did get that opening goal on Saturday which is always so important. As for coogans the last time I saw him was scoring at the end against Stranraer and he has found it hard to get a strikers role at various levels since then. An addition is needed but lord knows where from?

Coogans to me seems like a signing for signings sake. No thanks.

I'd like to see another striker join Stenhousemuir, ideally someone with a bit of presence about them, but I think any imports next month are unlikely.

Willis Alves Furtado is out of contract in a couple of days (I think) and I could see him leaving Ochilview. I could imagine a mid-ranking Championship club might take a punt on him. He has his flaws but there's definitely something in there that merits a move further up the food chain. I don't know. Someone told me he's currently living with Scott Walker so that might complicate things and keep him with us for the remainder of the season.

I've also been told Colin McCabe might be returning to Celtic. With David Crawford having signed on and returning to fitness, McCabe's departure might free up the wages to bring in an attacker.

As our signing policy is a well kept secret to protect the guilty party , we are completely in the dark , new faces have been rumoured for weeks now but looks like we are dealing in the failed junior market. A little disheartening that after one and a half seasons in charge our manager needs half a team , 6 would be needed if the loan players return to their own clubs not that they will be missed,the only reliable aspect of our club is the signing of players that make no impact .

Happy Days ....

As our signing policy is a well kept secret to protect the guilty party , we are completely in the dark , new faces have been rumoured for weeks now but looks like we are dealing in the failed junior market. A little disheartening that after one and a half seasons in charge our manager needs half a team , 6 would be needed if the loan players return to their own clubs not that they will be missed,the only reliable aspect of our club is the signing of players that make no impact .
Happy Days ....

Stuart Miller says to sit tight. One of the signings will improve the team. Need more than one though.
Trust his word far more than our own managers. Given Stuarts recent work he should certainly have a good knowledge of players.

5 hours ago, Diamond8 said:

Coogans to me seems like a signing for signings sake. No thanks.

He's a good kid who'd be cheap and a huge improvement on Schidt or even Russell as a back up to Ryan but it isn't happening as we have a striker coming in who will carry us to the title.

The new boy will fit in with the new more pragmatic "style" of play that Wilson is bringing in after the Black King's one trick pony laptop build up play.

He's a good kid who'd be cheap and a huge improvement on Schidt or even Russell as a back up to Ryan but it isn't happening as we have a striker coming in who will carry us to the title.

The new boy will fit in with the new more pragmatic "style" of play that Wilson is bringing in after the Black King's one trick pony laptop build up play.

For me he seems to fall into the Ryan Donnelly category, obviously I'd like to see him to do well if he signed on but I just can't see it. I've heard a few ridiculous rumours about who we are signing in January, but we will wait and see. I hope you're right though.

Also can anyone back up the rumour of Lithgow coming back with any substance or is it drivel?

ETA- is this guy who will carry us to the title likely to feature on Monday? Seen on our Facebook page that someone on here thinks we will have two in by then. Seems all a bit strange to me.

29 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

For me he seems to fall into the Ryan Donnelly category, obviously I'd like to see him to do well if he signed on but I just can't see it. I've heard a few ridiculous rumours about who we are signing in January, but we will wait and see. I hope you're right though.

Also can anyone back up the rumour of Lithgow coming back with any substance or is it drivel?

ETA- is this guy who will carry us to the title likely to feature on Monday? Seen on our Facebook page that someone on here thinks we will have two in by then. Seems all a bit strange to me.

Unless you are paying a fee for Lithgow there is no chance of that happening, no way would we allow him to go to a rival for promotion half way through the season, hell we touted Ben Gordon around the championship when we got relegated as to avoid him going back to Alloa as they would be a rival. 

Plus he's on a 2 year contract. 

11 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

Unless you are paying a fee for Lithgow there is no chance of that happening, no way would we allow him to go to a rival for promotion half way through the season, hell we touted Ben Gordon around the championship when we got relegated as to avoid him going back to Alloa as they would be a rival. 

Plus he's on a 2 year contract. 

Perhaps its a compromise deal for Watt and Cadden.

31 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Perhaps its a compromise deal for Watt and Cadden.

Good shout, as I said earlier up we are likely to be signing Jordan McMillan which would free up Halkett to play CB and leave us with Lithgow and Morgyn Neill, I suggested Neill out on loan with Lithgow on the bench but keeping Neill would free up Lithgow to go if it was part of a deal for those two. 

2 hours ago, Diamond8 said:

Lithgow should never be allowed to step back in to Airdrie on moral grounds.   I personally know Livi coaches who think a lot of him.

Some of the rumours aren't rumours btw.

Archived