El Buckfastico 2017 V1

Some laugh being an Airdrie fan. Wouldn't know we've won seven out of ten.

We have been on an excellent run - but now we're looking at having lost three our the last four - including a 5-0 drubbing at home to the team bottom of the league and Albion Rovers who are again down there in the mix at the other end of the table.

I expected Livi to be too strong for us and they were.

Defensive mistakes are happening week on week and we're facing a team this weekend that's hit a bit of form. It's ok to be talking about these things - particularly when we're in January and can hopeful sort out some of our frailties.

But I forgot that when everything is going well you clap along and when it's not, you clap along.....

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said in my earlier rambling post,  we probably win the game handsomely if Stewart, Leitch and Hutton play.    Or even 2 of them.

On the playing side of things we are, seemingly, reshaping for a genuine title tilt or at the very least,  being strong enough to  be a genuine playoff challenger.

Kerr is right that there's too much focus on this one result in isolation without looking at the bigger picture.

But by contrast, the bigger picture includes ensuring we grow and retain our fanbase and we've seriously f**ked up yet again when we're in a good position.  That's almost a decade of this phenomona occuring.   No wonder we have crowds as low as we have.

We fans can also clearly see that our shaky defence will continue to throw games away unless it's fixed.   We can also see that our club are making bizarre decision after bizarre decision.  I was glad to see we filled a need by signing another forward but we could all see the most glaring need that should've been filled first, and, if we'd acted with haste on that front we'd maybe be 3 points  better off!

I'm absolutely certain we are only an achievable tweak or 2 away from putting it all together.

Lastly,  as much as our defence was shit,  that kid Boyd was superb.

26 minutes ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

As I said in my earlier rambling post,  we probably win the game handsomely if Stewart, Leitch and Hutton play.    Or even 2 of them.

On the playing side of things we are, seemingly, reshaping for a genuine title tilt or at the very least,  being strong enough to  be a genuine playoff challenger.

Kerr is right that there's too much focus on this one result in isolation without looking at the bigger picture.

But by contrast, the bigger picture includes ensuring we grow and retain our fanbase and we've seriously f**ked up yet again when we're in a good position.  That's almost a decade of this phenomona occuring.   No wonder we have crowds as low as we have.

We fans can also clearly see that our shaky defence will continue to throw games away unless it's fixed.   We can also see that our club are making bizarre decision after bizarre decision.  I was glad to see we filled a need by signing another forward but we could all see the most glaring need that should've been filled first, and, if we'd acted with haste on that front we'd maybe be 3 points  better off!

I'm absolutely certain we are only an achievable tweak or 2 away from putting it all together.

Lastly,  as much as our defence was shit,  that kid Boyd was superb.

It's not just the performance that will stop big crowds like Mondays from coming back but the severe lack of atmosphere.

I think I only heard one song from Airdrie end and 2 at rovers when they scored.

Add trying to generate some sort of atmosphere to the boards list of things needing done in Jan 

3 minutes ago, Yoda8 said:

It's not just the performance that will stop big crowds like Mondays from coming back but the severe lack of atmosphere.

I think I only heard one song from Airdrie end and 2 at rovers when they scored.

Add trying to generate some sort of atmosphere to the boards list of things needing done in Jan 

Sorry, I'd need to have a think about that one.   

Even old Broomfield had no atmosphere at games against Queens Park, Alloa, Meadowbank, Stranraer, Brechin, etc.

We were lucky if Rovers brought a few hundred and they're never loud.

I dont think we want the club playing stupid songs through the tannoy during the game or paying for a drummer is wanted.

The atmosphere needs to come from a bigger fanbase coupled with a team that are reliable and trustworthy.

The atmosphere picked up early but turned rancid after the f**k ups.

The atmosphere needs to come from a bigger fanbase coupled with a team that are reliable and trustworthy.

The atmosphere picked up early but turned rancid after the f**k ups.

To be honest this is probably why I'm so annoyed about the result. It was a huge let down after being asked once again to turn out, dig deep, sign-up to the trust, support your club.

I can take a defeat - we all can. But we need a club/team we can trust to show the same commitment.

But I forgot that when everything is going well you clap along and when it's not, you clap along.....

I've not been shy in my criticisms on here, thon Facebook page or twitter but it pretty much gets us nowhere.

Yeah I'm sure a few key staff at the club will read this thread and the others, but do you think Mark or Gordon will be sitting in their office at Ravenscraig clicking through P&B going "hmm, come to think of it he/she/it is right, I thought we'd put in a sterling defensive performance but apparently not". I'll be honest, I don't think it works like that.

But the number of folk getting their knickers in a twist over something that can be worked out very simply in training is, for want of better words, f*cking hilarious.

Down in Stranraer we defended very well for the most part, and it took a majestic reverse ball to dissect Bo & Joe - sure they could've been a few yards either side but that's football: the same as a striker will have days when for love-nor-money the ball just won't go in the back of the net, and here we stumble upon what happened on Monday.

Am I a happy clapper? Probably. But you know what, at least the happy clappers support their team through thick and thin.

But anyway, looking forward to the Q&A this week. It'll be a good opportunity for Gordon and Mark to get their points across and hopefully appease everyone's doomsday posts.

I've not been shy in my criticisms on here, thon Facebook page or twitter but it pretty much gets us nowhere.

Yeah I'm sure a few key staff at the club will read this thread and the others, but do you think Mark or Gordon will be sitting in their office at Ravenscraig clicking through P&B going "hmm, come to think of it he/she/it is right, I thought we'd put in a sterling defensive performance but apparently not". I'll be honest, I don't think it works like that.

But the number of folk getting their knickers in a twist over something that can be worked out very simply in training is, for want of better words, f*cking hilarious.

Down in Stranraer we defended very well for the most part, and it took a majestic reverse ball to dissect Bo & Joe - sure they could've been a few yards either side but that's football: the same as a striker will have days when for love-nor-money the ball just won't go in the back of the net, and here we stumble upon what happened on Monday.

Am I a happy clapper? Probably. But you know what, at least the happy clappers support their team through thick and thin.

But anyway, looking forward to the Q&A this week. It'll be a good opportunity for Gordon and Mark to get their points across and hopefully appease everyone's doomsday posts.

I don't post here for the club to read, I post to talk to other fans. Whether we agree or not. Couldn't give a flying fig if they read it or not. I thought that's what a forum was for????

And to suggest people criticising aren't there to support to the team every week is being disingenuous and I'm not biting on that one.

I'll don't know details of Q&A to know I can manage - hope I can - but I haven't found them particularly great before.

1 hour ago, kerrdavidson95 said:

As Kerr says, everybody getting knickers in a twist over something that can be VERY SIMPLY worked out in training. How long have we all been saying that but when will it actually happen. Also u mention the q and a to appease the doomsday merchants. Will the q and a make boateng defend better? Will the q and a stop us leaking crap after crap goals? Will the q and a stop Russell being petulant? Will the q and a bring back a bigger support? Did the q and a answer correctly that a certain agent wasn't involved in our club? So ,is the q and a all its cracked up to be? I guarantee people like ur self will still be sitting in a years time talking the same rubbish.   

14 hours ago, teekasule said:

quite amazing the boy misses this... 

Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 23.43.56.png

Should we give credit to wee Kyle for throwing himself in front of it? Especially after an uncomfortable first half. Hope his head's alright.

3 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

Should we give credit to wee Kyle for throwing himself in front of it? Especially after an uncomfortable first half. Hope his head's alright.

yeah massive 'save' from Kyle. He actually played better in the second half. their right sided players ran him a tad ragged in first. 

2 minutes ago, teekasule said:

yeah massive 'save' from Kyle. He actually played better in the second half. their right sided players ran him a tad ragged in first. 

Agree. Says a lot for him - sticking to the task and, presumably, listening to the manager at HT. Nearly everything has been said about the game, but I'd just re-emphasise the quality of the balls McBride put in for Boyd's goals.

Archived