Managers Report card

Yoda8

At halfway point and with exception of the leaders it's the usual tight league.

Even DH at Livi has been getting it tight despite a 7 point lead!, so what chance has the rest got?

Who's exceeding expectations (Bomber at Stenny , Gus) and who's jacket is on a shoogly peg? 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopkin is exceeding my expectation, didn't think we'd be anywhere near the top of the table after seeing him in charge last season. He's made some bad choices in games but he's been a lot better this season and has tried different things, and not stuck to something when it didn't work.

Gus has impressed me the most from opposition teams we've played, he's had QP set out well and has got them well organized. Considering the amount of goals we've scored this season he's kept us down to scoring just one goal against them in two games, which is pretty impressive in itself, but has also beaten us twice..

I think Brown Ferguson has been absolutely okay as Stenhousemuir manager over the course of the season. He's done very well in making a mediocre team competitive and it's credit to him, his coaching staff and his players that they've moved off the foot of the table for the first time in months. Bomber's got a lot going for him - everyone respected him as a player, he comes across as thoughtful and intelligent whenever he's interviewed, he's not Scott Booth - and I'd say he's popular amongst the Stenhousemuir support.

Everyone was sympathetic to the difficult job he had on his hands at the start of the season but even so, there's been some questionable moments - persisting with Colin McCabe for so long (although he's looked pretty decent over the last fortnight or so), the lack of firepower in the squad, the ability to make game-changing decisions mid-match. On the whole, I'm really pleased for Bomber and I want him to be as successful as he possibly can. I'm happy someone like him is the manager of my football club.

B plus for Darren Young. Decent signings and, recent defeats notwithstanding, keeps the Rovers punching above their weight. None of the managers in our division should feel that their outdoor apparel hangs on a loose wall attachment. It's a good wee division with all teams looking competitive.

2 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

B plus for Darren Young. Decent signings and, recent defeats notwithstanding, keeps the Rovers punching above their weight. None of the managers in our division should feel that their outdoor apparel hangs on a loose wall attachment. It's a good wee division with all teams looking competitive.

I'd reckon Jim McInally and Brian Reid might be feeling a little anxious if their respective situations don't improve over the coming weeks. At the start of the season I would never have thought Stranraer would be jobbing at the bottom of the table by the midpoint.

19 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'd reckon Jim McInally and Brian Reid might be feeling a little anxious if their respective situations don't improve over the coming weeks. At the start of the season I would never have thought Stranraer would be jobbing at the bottom of the table by the midpoint.

Actually, I thought Stranraer's good run was likely to peter out. I can't think that punting Reid mid-season would be a good strategy, though. Peterhead would be foolish to jettison McInally, IMO. Mid-table, ultimately, I would think, and I'd say that should be satisfactory given what's above them.

Darren Dods is once again showing his resiliance through adversity.  Last year he pulled us back from the brink when all around thought we were doomed. This year we were flying until our horrendous injury problems .  A wee wobble but he has managed to steady the ship again and keep us in the play off hunt. 

Knows how to get the best out of players  (Caldwell is work in progress ) and create a real team spirit. 

Top of the class material here. 

1 hour ago, Bold Rover said:

Peterhead would be foolish to jettison McInally, IMO. Mid-table, ultimately, I would think, and I'd say that should be satisfactory given what's above them.

It is a tough one for us, we have shown that we can beat any team on the right day but we have had no consistencey for going on 10 months now. Jim also seems to be fairly stuck in his ways and only 2 of the 6 or 7 players brought in during the summer have really broken into the squad and made a contribution. I think most of the fans knew the squad had not been improved massively so in a way we aren't really underachieving but at the same time the confidence seems to have drained from the squad and we seem to be getting poorer every week at the moment. If Jim gets it right in January then there is no reason for him to go, but I think he must be under some pressure.

No surprise that I'd think that Gus has been exceptional. We weren't a particularly good side last year, but Gus got us up with tactics that hit every button at the end of the season.

We've exceeded all expectations, but now look as if we can beat anyone in this division....although we still need to put in a good display against Airdrie. Two deserved wins against runaways leaders Livi says it all.

Stenie absolutely crucified us a couple of months ago at Hampden and Gus changed things round, bringing back McKernan in place of the huffy Miller and we've not looked back. The defence is playing out of its skin every week and we've stopped leaking daft goals from set pieces.

Ten out of ten so far....but it's early yet. I'd still see eighth as a real success, but we're looking like we could tuck in comfortably in mid table.

McKernan would have been back in the team no matter the situation with Miller. He was a regular in the team every week last season before his injury. 

Can't praise Gus enough right now for what he is achieving with this team but I will still take 8th. I've seen us collapse in the 2nd half of the season before and get relegated under Cowboy and Speirs when we looked like we were comfortable. 

Have to agree with this, up until the last few weeks we were doing excellent. I'm sure normal service will be resumed. We've had a poor January for the past few years though

As for us I have to say I'm liking how things are going under Mark Wilson, but still think it was a bit harsh on McBride.

We had a 6 game winning streak, something not seen for a good long while. I think the benefits of going full time are already starting to show. Only real thorn in our side at the moment are Livingston, so Wilson's real test will be how he'll crack that tough nut. He'll have to think of something because the prospect of playing in the Championship means we'd be facing tougher tests than Livi.

Hopkin could have us 20 points clear and there would still be some in our fan base that would want him sacked, just haven't taken too him and didn't help him the way last season ended.

Fwiw I called for a change at the end of last season as well, but I'm happy with how things are going just now.

He's built a fairly solid side for this division and although a long way to go we are well on track for an immediate return to the championship, I've heard the argument that this side would come straight back down, maybe so but his job isn't to think about that right now, his job is to get us promoted.

16 minutes ago, slangs said:

Just a wee scenario. If you've got more money than anyone in whatever league your in does that make a huge difference?

Ofcourse it does, Not in one off games, anybody can beat anybody but over the course of a season it should tell. 

Bigger budget means bigger squads with slightly more quality, so when injuries and suspensions hit the teams with lower budgets they may end up struggling to fill a bench or end up playing kids that aren't ready. 

4 hours ago, andylivi1 said:

Ofcourse it does, Not in one off games, anybody can beat anybody but over the course of a season it should tell. 

Bigger budget means bigger squads with slightly more quality, so when injuries and suspensions hit the teams with lower budgets they may end up struggling to fill a bench or end up playing kids that aren't ready. 

Would like to know the actual budgets of teams in this league. 

Dont think there will be as much of a difference as people believe.

Tho Gus still showing most up with a starting 11 wage of £11 per week.....plus expenses of course, although that doesn't mean to say their not amateurs 

Archived