Japan for Dummies

budmiester1

In a country where it's easy to get temple fatigue, the Todaiji temple in Nara is probably the most impressive I saw.  Biggest wooden building in the world, I think.  There were a lot of kids' groups when I was there, but these are Japanese kids who behave.  Kyoto is great, but it's very much a tourist spot.  If you venture to Kanazawa, which is a bit away, the Ninja Temple isn't big, but it's outstanding.
Making an effort with basic language and a reasonable knowledge of what is and is not good manners is appreciated. 
Needless to say, give yourself a lot of time if you're travelling by subway in Tokyo.  You can easily take 20 minutes in a station going from one line to another.  It is, though, worthwhile to experience rush hour once to see how the locals behave (and they do) in what is a whirlwind environment.

Boss and I are already learning the basics of Japanese, as you say a little knowledge goes a long way.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, forgot to mention. Get this app.

http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/tips/connectivity/smartphone/index.html

It's a lifesaver and makes using the subway a piece of cake. Works offline too. You can be outside any metro station in the Tokyo area and it will tell you how to get to whatever station you're looking to go to. Where to change, how many stops and the fare.

I don't think the JR lines are covered by it but I'm pretty sure the Yamanote line is the most commonly used and it's a circle anyway.

2 hours ago, budmiester1 said:

Boss and I are already learning the basics of Japanese, as you say a little knowledge goes a long way.

If you want to learn a little more than basic phrases the Michel Thomas method is very good for learning the structure of the language and the lessons are all on Youtube for free.

But that takes more time obviously. You can easily get by with a little though.

4 minutes ago, S7C said:

If you want to learn a little more than basic phrases the Michel Thomas method is very good for learning the structure of the language and the lessons are all on Youtube for free.

But that takes more time obviously. You can easily get by with a little though.

This. I've lived here since April and can barely spring two words together! (much to my everlasting shame)

13 hours ago, budmiester1 said:

Yes, I've been watching videos on YouTube and it looks massive emoji853.png I do know that our hotel is on the east side of the station. Google maps will be deployed emoji23.png

We stayed in the Sunroute plaza hotel at Shinjuku. While there are loads of exits, they tend to go to roughly the same place, so it isnt too big a drama as long as you walk in the right general direction.

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this rather than starting a new thread.   I'm going to Tokyo for the first time in April and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for decent areas to stay in as a first time visitor.  Never been to Japan before so want it to be fairly central and somewhere which makes navigation fairly straightforward.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Bumping this rather than starting a new thread.   I'm going to Tokyo for the first time in April and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for decent areas to stay in as a first time visitor.  Never been to Japan before so want it to be fairly central and somewhere which makes navigation fairly straightforward.

There's probably no such thing as "central" in Tokyo. It's a huge city of quite distinct districts one after the other.

Shinjuku (with the exception of Kabukicho. Interesting to visit but couldn't be arsed staying there), Shibuya, and Ginza/Higashi-Ginza I'd recommend. Got Tokyu-Stay hotels reasonably cheap in Nishi-Shinjuku and Higashi-Ginza before, but the exchange rate is worse than it was last year. Rooms came with a small kitchen area and washing machine as well which was pretty handy.

If you're on a budget I quite like First Cabin capsule hotels. Affordable, more privacy than a hostel and a bit more room than the traditional capsule hotel.

I've stayed in Shinjuku, Asakusa and Shidome, all throughly different. Where you stay will depend on your budget somewhat. Shinjuku is great if you want to be in amongst the action, bars, restaurants, crowds etc.

Thanks guys.  Our budget is probably in the higher end of mid-range for Australia/Europe (about £100-£120 per night), but that doesn't seem to go quite as far in Tokyo.  A lot of the ones I've seen seem quite plain and boring, which is fine, but I feel like we imagined staying in some modern high-tech place with weird features - a bit like the Citizen M in Glasgow or something like that.

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Thanks guys.  Our budget is probably in the higher end of mid-range for Australia/Europe (about £100-£120 per night), but that doesn't seem to go quite as far in Tokyo.  A lot of the ones I've seen seem quite plain and boring, which is fine, but I feel like we imagined staying in some modern high-tech place with weird features - a bit like the Citizen M in Glasgow or something like that.

Look for a "semi" double in hotels.Basically a smallish room but plenty of space for the 2 of you

On 2017/01/05 at 15:11, Hampden Diehard said:

In a country where it's easy to get temple fatigue,...

Even the Japanese have a saying for that, which is something along the lines of once you have seen Nikko (a UNESCO world heritage sight with the original three monkeys) it's enough. There's also a saying that revolves around the IQ level of anyone attempting to climb Fuji-san (Mt. Fuji or Fujiyama for the tourists) for a second time.

23 hours ago, craigkillie said:

We stayed here a year ago, did the job and was close to everything. http://en.sunrouteplazashinjuku.jp/

Use the promo code 
SNCM   for some quite big discounts

You should download an earthquake app too. I was on a train during one and it's totally surreal to hear everyone on the trains phone beeping at the same time then they train grinding to a halt. 

Places to stay depends what you want to do. The rail network is utterly fantastic but it's still a massive city. So maybe best having a look at what you want to do or where you want to visit before deciding on an area to stay. 

Also, April is cherry blossom time. They have them in Tokyo obviously but you may want to head out to Kyoto for the 'proper experience'. 

You should download an earthquake app too. I was on a train during one and it's totally surreal to hear everyone on the trains phone beeping at the same time then they train grinding to a halt. 

I've been to Japan 3 times for a total of about 3 months maybe a bit more and in terms of earthquakes not felt a sausage.

Would say you have been lucky then. Normally there would at least be a noticeable tremor in that sort of timespan. Lived and worked there off and on for a total of seven years and was in three major ones including 3/11. You get used to the small ones and Japanese people will literally just ignore them and laugh at any "gaijin" that shows any fear, but anything over 7.0 on the Richter scale is terrifying to anyone with a pulse especially if you are near the top of a high building (been there done that and there is nothing quite like seeing an empty chair rolling very quickly from one side of the room to the other on its castors).

On the cherry blossom/sakura thing there are Japanese language websites that can tell you where to be to see it at its best as the climate gets a lot colder as you move up Honshu and depending whether you are on the Pacific Ocean or Sea of Japan side, so the timing varies quite a bit from prefecture to prefecture. A big get together with a carry out down the local park tends to be the Japanese thing to do on that.

As an alternative to hotels, I've done the airbnb thing a couple of times and chose one beside a train station a bit out of the centre.  Cost was great although you obviously have to heed when the trains stop.

I think you have to be very careful with airbnb in Japan specifically, heard some horror stories online.

On 02/02/2017 at 05:01, Enigma said:

I've been to Japan 3 times for a total of about 3 months maybe a bit more and in terms of earthquakes not felt a sausage.

I was in a ten storey building during a 6.3 earthquake, which is pretty strong.  I can only equate it to that weird feeling you have in your legs when you get off a trampoline.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Elbhoy said:

..but how's your Japanese?:rolleyes:

anyway, thinking of going to Tokyo later this year, I hear Shinjuku is the place to be, but we are sort of settling on the Intercontinental Tokyo bay ( as a club room is a must) I've read lots of reviews some say it's perfect , and a free shuttle to one of the near by stations and others saying its a bit far out.

Is it too far from the main tourist areas? Chiba, Shinjuku etc? 

Still terrible! :(

I'm not the best person to speak to regarding Tokyo as I've not been there yet. Have friends that live there and my brother in law lives there too that say it's an amazing experience. 

Have fun!

Archived