Stranraer vs. Airdrieonians

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Being 100% honest I didn't think Stranraer played that bad - seen us play worse and win over the years but nevertheless this is becoming a worrying trend. A lot of our fans are focusing on our forward line and don't get me wrong Nuttal had a poor game. For me though the problems are even bigger at the other end where we concede too many soft goals and this is a big part of why we don't get the results we maybe deserve.
Take a quick look at the league table. If you look at the table at the teams ranging from 3rd to bottom only Alloa have scored more than us. So yeah 24 goals is nothing special but other teams ain't banging loads in either. Looking at goals conceded only Stenhousemuir have conceded more and for me that's very concerning. McKeown just ain't the player he was, Barron is a decent and our best right back but that's irrelevant if he is injured much of the time and despite making a few costly errors throughout the season we would have possibly conceded more if it wasn't for Belford. Sadly Barron is highly unlikely to ever play week in week out so IMO we need a new centre back (shifting Robertson to RB) or a new right back so we have a realistic chance of having a settled back 4 which can begin to gel. There is generally a lack of pace at the back and teams get in behind us too often.      
Still feel we can turn this around though. Agnew is starting to play a lot better and I thought Gibson looked threatening. Queens Park is a big game now and I was thinking we can win. Their result against Livingston has made me a bit more apprehensive though. Wouldn't be looking to sack Brian Reid just now but if things are no better by the end of January/start of February the board will have a big decision to make.    

This.

Not sure of the exact stats but we've conceded 2 or more goals per game for the past however many games. Obvious where the problems are.

Hopefully the upcoming window brings a solution.

Just seen belfords 'tackle' at the end there, how that is not a red card i will have no idea! The ball is played, the whistle goes, then half a second later he does some karate kid flying kick, could easily have broke his leg and if he had been sent off he could have been looking at a far longer ban than two games, shocking decision!

6 hours ago, Moonball said:

This.

Not sure of the exact stats but we've conceded 2 or more goals per game for the past however many games. Obvious where the problems are.

Hopefully the upcoming window brings a solution.

You've conceded two or more goals in seven of your last eight games (the exception being the 3-1 win over Stenny). 

On 12/26/2016 at 19:48, Cooper81 said:

Andy Ryan is the best striker in the league. He has it all in his locker.

The only thing I have against Andy Ryan is that he can be phenomenally selfish. A goal tally of 14 is indeed  impressive but he could easily have just as many assists if he didnae try to go it alone so often.

Apart from that though, where would we be without him?

48 minutes ago, Airdrie♢Diamond said:

The only thing I have against Andy Ryan is that he can be phenomenally selfish. A goal tally of 14 is indeed  impressive but he could easily have just as many assists if he didnae try to go it alone so often.

Apart from that though, where would we be without him?

Yes, there was one on Saturday where he could have played Brown in for an easy goal... but his goal tally has earned him the right to be selfish, and in fact is probably at least partially down to his selfishness.  It's frustrating when a striker misses an opportunity when they'd have been better playing someone else in, but when you've got someone on his kind of form, you want them going for it whenever they can.  

That walloper Belford really is as thick as they come. The whistle blew a good four or five seconds before his attempted flykick. Thankfully he's not very good or Andy could've had a sore one.

Could of been sent of first half too. Told the linesman to f*ck off.

Have only watched the highlights but was impressed with Leitch on Saturday. I think it took him a while to find his groove and he does drift in and out of games but the boy can sure pass a ball. Linked up very well with Ryan. Our midfield can be effective but sometimes we seem to pass them by too much in games and the defence punts the ball up the park instead. 

Seemed to work well with Ryan but neither Russell nor Schmidt could fill the lone front man role.

There was a guy sat in front of me thought Andy Ryan couldn't play that role, never off his or the teams back!

Archived