ROI teams in Challenge Cup next year?

Snakebite

20 hours ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

But St Pat's aren't one of the big sides mate. The only two really big derbies in Ireland are Linfield v Glentoran and Bohs v Rovers. At present the Glens and Bohs would likely miss out as they are very poor versions of the sides they used to be.

As for the bit I've highlighted - I'd love to give this a bash, but I just don't see UEFA buying it.

I take your point about distances travelled, and you are right, but you are comparing well supported sides like Newcastle and the big London clubs with IL sides. The best supported side in the whole of Ireland are Linfield, (based on last year's average attendances) and we are averaging about 2,400 this season. If we played Cork we would probably only take 500-600. That said, I'd doubt many clubs take that to Cork, but the Blues in Dublin wouldn't boost Dublin clubs' attendances, nor particularly would Rovers or any other Dublin club in Belfast. Derry might be the exception, but I feel the novelty would wear off after a while, and I could do without repeating the experience of watching Linfield in Londonderry. I'd love to pop down to Limerick with the Blues, (not for Kweeve, but because a longstanding and very good friend is a fan, and Limerick is a beautiful city), but we would be lucky to muster a few hundred. Limerick in Belfast would probably bring 70/80.

I'm all for anything that would give us bigger and more glamorous games, but the only time we top 10,000 is when we meet the Glens in a game that really matters, or the likes of last year's Irish Cup Final.

Unfortunately crowds for both the LOI and Irish league games are pretty low compared to GAA and Rugby games in Ireland. Our leagues just cannot compete with the big draw of the English Premier league. In terms of the best supported teams on the Island of Ireland I think you'll find that over the last 10 years or more the likes of Shamrock Rovers, Cork City and Dundalk would have a higher average attendance than Linfield and the rest of the Irish league clubs according to extratime.ie and www.european-football-statistics 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unfortunately crowds for both the LOI and Irish league games are pretty low compared to GAA and Rugby games in Ireland. Our leagues just cannot compete with the big draw of the English Premier league. In terms of the best supported teams on the Island of Ireland I think you'll find that over the last 10 years or more the likes of Shamrock Rovers, Cork City and Dundalk would have a higher average attendance than Linfield and the rest of the Irish league clubs according to extratime.ie and www.european-football-statistics 

Turners cross loyal.. missed presidents cup mind you

16 hours ago, Hoop1983 said:

Club rugby isn't that well supported, although the provinces do draw fantastic crowds. You are spot on about the over hyped English premiership though.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 21:39, an86 said:

Will be avoiding this shambles again next season. Firstly, it's an attempt to soften people up on the "Colt" teams front in terms of getting them into the league. Secondly, there is absolutely nothing to gain from Welsh and Irish teams playing in the competition. At best, there's needless travelling and low interest. At worst there's a situation, which could happen this weekend, where a Welsh side actually makes the final, which would be an absolute brasser for a Scottish competition.

It may not have carried huge interest, but the format of the old competition wasn't really broken. You certainly wouldn't see bigger clubs subjected to this gimmicky shite. My position remains the same as last year. I hope we win every game we play in, but I certainly won't be in attendance to watch it. An absolute fucking farce designed by idiots. Zero consultation with punters, as per.

Just came across the thread and I totally agree as I did several months ago. I have a season ticket but "Cup games" don't count so I am hoping my summer holiday coincides with the early round of it as it did last year.

Archived