ROI teams in Challenge Cup next year?

Snakebite

I wasn't as bothered by the Irish/Welsh clubs, as the 'B' teams. However this would presumably mean 6 of the Last 16 places going to invited sides from other leagues, parachuting in at R4, despite the fact that only TNS won a tie this season? Pretty excessive.

Also interesting to see how would work with Eire teams given their summer season - if they reached QFs or SFs, or had EL groupstage commitments (like Dundalk this season), for example.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I wasn't as bothered by the Irish/Welsh clubs, as the 'B' teams. However this would presumably mean 6 of the Last 16 places going to invited sides from other leagues, parachuting in at R4, despite the fact that only TNS won a tie this season? Pretty excessive.

Also interesting to see how would work with Eire teams given their summer season - if they reached QFs or SFs, or had EL groupstage commitments (like Dundalk this season), for example.

Bin the 20s sides and get the invited sides in earlier.

1 hour ago, Snakebite said:

:lol: Re-read my post ffs, where did I describe them as British!?

Preventing these teams from coming in on the grounds of not being British is just weak as f**k.

British jobs for British workers, IMO." Did you not finish your post with that comment? I think I did read that in your post. I also did not like Welsh teams in that Cup competition but that is nothing to do with having an issue with being Welsh, I just think that a Scottish competition should be for Scottish teams?

2 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I now understand that Snakebite was being ironic and criticizing the attitude of "British workers for British jobs". Just a thicko from Airdrie-sorry. I stlll don't like the idea of other leagues being asked to come in to a Scottish cup.

Don't worry about it mate, jist a wee joke.

5 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Let the Gibraltarians in too. Would be brilliant away days.

Add Icelandic teams into the mix too. Cracking place to visit, quite a few Scottish players out there, and weather shouldn't be a problem as long as the ties don't take place in the depths of winter. 

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Add Icelandic teams into the mix too. Cracking place to visit, quite a few Scottish players out there, and weather shouldn't be a problem as long as the ties don't take place in the depths of winter. 

Yes, I can see the Icelandic teams being reluctant to travel here in mid-January.

16 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I just think that a Scottish competition should be for Scottish teams?

Agreed. If you're bringing in clubs from the rest of the UK you might as well go the whole hog. Merge the SPFL and the Football League and just have the one international side.

Mind you that would have its advantages. Celtic and Rangers would soon find their natural level - mid-table in the Championship - and we'd actually qualify for the World Cup and the Euros on a regular basis.

15 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Agreed. If you're bringing in clubs from the rest of the UK you might as well go the whole hog. Merge the SPFL and the Football League and just have the one international side.

Mind you that would have its advantages. Celtic and Rangers would soon find their natural level - mid-table in the Championship - and we'd actually qualify for the World Cup and the Euros on a regular basis.

Who makes the decision about the nature of that particular Cup competition. Is it the SPFL or the SFA? Certainly the logic of expanding one of your Cup competitions to other "national" leagues might mean changes in the other cups? Curious also that inviting the Champions of Leagues on a par with our non SPL leagues does not appear to have an English context? Mind you that would probably be the Northern conference League? I remember the glory days of the Texaco Cup but also the showing up that nearly all our teams got in the later Anglo Scottish cup.( Bury, although I discovered that Neville Southall played for them at broomfield; a game he dismissed as unimportant in his 2012 Biography)!

20 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Just in case there was any doubt I wasn't seriously suggesting the above merger.

Apparently Neil Doncaster has already been on to Stewart Regan telling him "This is what the fans want, I read it on Pie and Bovril".

Archived