Alloa Athletic V Brechin City

Aye, officials were bad but still only ourselves to blame today. No idea what happened for the second goal but when you do that, only can blame yourself. No threat infront of goal even with lion share of possession.

However - Merry Christmas Waspies, we'll be back!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure Goodwin will point to the penalty decision and an individual error costing us the game, but I think that would be papering over the cracks. 

I don't think Alloa did enough to deserve anything from the game today. There didn't appear to be enough tempo or cutting edge from us today, but that seems to have been the case for a while now.

Controlling the game and winning the game are two different things 

That performance just wasn't good enough . Simple 

We made changes and it didn't work for me . Midfield well off the pace and the second goal was just a joke . 

We need the players to stand up and be counted or we are going to finish mid table 

The officials were very very poor again am having a go at grade one officials but imo he is never a grade one ref . For both sides by the way 

2 hours ago, Wilkinson1998 said:

Don't think Alloa deserved to lose today, controlled the game completely in spells but just didn't offer much threat infront of goal.

Think the referees decision to award a penalty was ludicrous and apparently even the linesman at that side said it wasn't a penalty.

Does that mean that Brechin controlled the game completely in the other spells ?   I would agree if that was the case. If anything I think we were a bit sharper up front and should have taken more of our chances.  Trouten especially missed a glorious chance when he rounded the keeper but hesitated and allowed him to get back up and block the shot. 

The penalty was  "one of those" .  We thought it was stonewall, you guys obviously didn't. Fair play to the ref though ,who I thought had a good game . (shocks !!!)  He had no hesitation and stuck by his guns despite the lumbering goalie's feeble attempts to clear his name. ........Yes he made a c**t of it !   As he did the second goal.

For us I think Ally Love was the stand out  He was tremendous .  Fusco and Trouts weren't far behind though.  The defence were solid again . Not much blame to put on them for the Alloa goal which was well worked and finished. 

In all it was a great win which opened a wee gap between the sides , however I do think Alloa were not nearly as sharp as they were up at the glebe.  Either that or we didn't give them the space and freedom today  that we did the last time. 

Our wee threadbare squad are proving their worth now after a wee wobble . Hopefully some of the crocks will be back soon to bolster our play off hopes.  

I thought it was a penalty.

In the first half with Brechin marking tight we looked a bit pedestrian with a tendency to take too many touches.

We were good from the off in the second half and once we scored I thought we were on course for a second. The winner was sickening, the swirling wind played a part but I thought between Jason and Neil we should have still been able to clear his lines.

Thought the ref punished foul play fairly. It will be interesting to view the highlights.

2 hours ago, falkirkwasp said:

We should have appointed the manager you now have, never mind you will overtake us very soon at the rate were tumbling.

Barry Smith certainly gave us some great days but overall record was pretty mixed. I wouldn't have gone back to him. Still very early days for Jim Goodwin and having given him the job he needs a proper chance to prove himself. That said, he already has a challenge on his hands as recent results aren't good enough. 2 points from the run of 3 home games is particularly disappointing. We know what this team is capable of and hopefully they can get back to something close to it soon.

Happy Christmas to all.

2 hours ago, falkirkwasp said:

We should have appointed the manager you now have, never mind you will overtake us very soon at the rate were tumbling.

Take away the wins against Hibs and Sevco and Smith's record was poor. He inherited a good squad sitting mid - table and was an injury time equaliser away from relegating us 3 months later. We were worse under him the following season and only stayed up because we improved after he left. I certainly wouldn't want him back, he should have been punted months before he left last time.

Trouten has been excellent since he recovered from hammy at airdrie, graham has improved with Fusco in beside him, Fusco himself has been excellent,buzz never troubled  back 3 again excellent, we are lucky to have strength in depth in that department but for me hill is the main man, he's consistently giving team mate the rocket up there arse they need, McClellan again excellent a great prospect for Aberdeen , ally love much improved and working harder, Lynas very good last couple of games he's really stepped up to the plate this bunch of players really do play for each other, clever in the way they spread the cautions and help each other out, with the injurys we have had we just seem to find a way, great result, delighted

have a merry Christmas all

Take away the wins against Hibs and Sevco and Smith's record was poor. He inherited a good squad sitting mid - table and was an injury time equaliser away from relegating us 3 months later. We were worse under him the following season and only stayed up because we improved after he left. I certainly wouldn't want him back, he should have been punted months before he left last time.

To be fair the team he inherited was in free fall. Hartley left him with a sinking ship and he came in too late in the January transfer window to make any changes..
2nd season was poor at times right Enough and probably only stayed as long because of the cup final

Apart from Trouten's disallowed goal I would say the first 20 minutes or so were fairly forgettable with both teams determined to knock lumps out of each other rather than play football with a variety of 'cultured' challenges and bookings being banded about.  After that the game settled down to a relatively open game with Alloa being on top for the larger part of the half.  Whilst the Alloa fans are aggrieved by the penalty decision Ally Love got his toe to the ball just ahead of the keeper so the ref didn't really have a choice other than to award the penalty.  Two players committed to get the ball, the one who got it, got his rewards.  Had it happened at the other end I'm sure that the Alloa fans would be stating exactly the same.

Thankfully the second half was a much better spectacle than the first with both teams determined to find the net.  A well worked goal from Alloa brought them back into the game but it was short lived after some defensive naivety where the keeper and back line passed the ball in front of goal.  One fairly loose pass and Ally Love saw his opportunity and got a toe to the ball as the defender was clearing it only for it to loop into the back of the empty net.  Well it is Christmas after all and all of the City fans were grateful for that gift yesterday :P

Delighted with the 3 points and as others have said hope to get a few of the walking wounded back on the park sooner rather than later rather than having a threadbare squad with one or two fit guys left on the bench!

3 minutes ago, greendot said:

Apart from Trouten's disallowed goal I would say the first 20 minutes or so were fairly forgettable with both teams determined to knock lumps out of each other rather than play football with a variety of 'cultured' challenges and bookings being banded about.  After that the game settled down to a relatively open game with Alloa being on top for the larger part of the half.  Whilst the Alloa fans are aggrieved by the penalty decision Ally Love got his toe to the ball just ahead of the keeper so the ref didn't really have a choice other than to award the penalty.  Two players committed to get the ball, the one who got it, got his rewards.  Had it happened at the other end I'm sure that the Alloa fans would be stating exactly the same.

Thankfully the second half was a much better spectacle than the first with both teams determined to find the net.  A well worked goal from Alloa brought them back into the game but it was short lived after some defensive naivety where the keeper and back line passed the ball in front of goal.  One fairly loose pass and Ally Love saw his opportunity and got a toe to the ball as the defender was clearing it only for it to loop into the back of the empty net.  Well it is Christmas after all and all of the City fans were grateful for that gift yesterday :P

Delighted with the 3 points and as others have said hope to get a few of the walking wounded back on the park sooner rather than later rather than having a threadbare squad with one or two fit guys left on the bench!

Ally love clean through on goal in the opening minute aswell, Alloa huffed and puffed but where happy to keep the ball rather than try and score, I feel we had a game plan which was sit in and be hard to break down then hit on the counter which ment we were actually trying to score as soon as we won the ball back, did Alloa apart form a well worked goal have another shot on target the whole game???? It is a massive result gives a slim chance of catching livi, alloa will still be up there as I feel they are better than queens and airdrie , but if we are serious about challenging we really need to get Jacko dale Mccormack smith back as soon as possible 

Well the truth is the lads that have been asked to do the biz have done so n hats off to them.No doubts we need everyone available and in every match we've played from the injury crisis if being honest there's not been much in any defeat. It's a good way to end the year. Well done to all. Mon the City. Merry xmas [emoji319][emoji319][emoji319].

Archived