FIFA rankings

lonewolfie

11 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

no one ever suggested throwing in the under 16's :lol: but many of us suggested dropping the consistent failures like fletcher, brown, fletcher and others and blood in the most promising of the youngsters from across the globe, scotland dont need 11 brand new under 23's in their first team, but there are a number still there that have failed to do anything of note for 5 managers now

And there was me thinking the hyperbole was obvious...

Plenty of people have said things along the lines of just throwing the young players in, usually in conjuction with tossing out the ones that actually have quality (in a relative sense).  Getting rid of better players and throwing in worse ones wholesale is never going to be a good strategy.  Plus the whole "they're failures" argument doesn't really hold up.  By that sense, Wales should've got rid of most of the players that qualified for 2016 way before they did.  They were failures right up to the point they weren't.  

I have no issue with blooding in the most promising youngsters - they should be doing that as a matter of course, and already do in part - but not at the expense of our better players.  I'd love to have a better option than Steven Fletcher, but it is what it is.  Brown is likely to be phased out anyway, probably through his own choice.  When there's a player who is ready - and that's the key part - absolutely get them in.  Just like Burke.  From watching the U21s though, there aren't too many that are ready to be thrown into a campaign like the one we're in now.  Will they magically be ready after we give them the six games we have left?  Unlikely.  And it's not something I'd really be a fan of them doing when we're probably going to be sitting in November very much in a similar position we are now with little forward movement.  There has to be a balance between involving the young, ready players, and keeping in the seasoned ones.

8 hours ago, forameus said:

And there was me thinking the hyperbole was obvious...

Plenty of people have said things along the lines of just throwing the young players in, usually in conjuction with tossing out the ones that actually have quality (in a relative sense).  Getting rid of better players and throwing in worse ones wholesale is never going to be a good strategy.  Plus the whole "they're failures" argument doesn't really hold up.  By that sense, Wales should've got rid of most of the players that qualified for 2016 way before they did.  They were failures right up to the point they weren't.  

I have no issue with blooding in the most promising youngsters - they should be doing that as a matter of course, and already do in part - but not at the expense of our better players.  I'd love to have a better option than Steven Fletcher, but it is what it is.  Brown is likely to be phased out anyway, probably through his own choice.  When there's a player who is ready - and that's the key part - absolutely get them in.  Just like Burke.  From watching the U21s though, there aren't too many that are ready to be thrown into a campaign like the one we're in now.  Will they magically be ready after we give them the six games we have left?  Unlikely.  And it's not something I'd really be a fan of them doing when we're probably going to be sitting in November very much in a similar position we are now with little forward movement.  There has to be a balance between involving the young, ready players, and keeping in the seasoned ones.

Agreed fore good post.. it would be a travesty if Philips is not starting our next game he is far far better than forest by a country mile. He has improved so much in the last 3 years if he is not in then serious questions need asked 

• 2 weeks later...

I see some of the African nations have been warming up for their continental tournament by putting some of the European sides to the sword. It'd be nice if we could get involved in some friendlies purely so we could put the usual "urgh, African Side X are dugshite compared to us" stuff to bed.

SFA deserve some faint praise for staying well clear, I suppose.

On 08/01/2017 at 19:56, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I see some of the African nations have been warming up for their continental tournament by putting some of the European sides to the sword. It'd be nice if we could get involved in some friendlies purely so we could put the usual "urgh, African Side X are dugshite compared to us" stuff to bed.

How many embarrassing humpings you want us to get in a year ffs. Lol

Strachan confirmed we'll play a friendly before Slovenia. He also gave some story about it being for the guys who need game time (wish he'd stop digging holes for himself).

Does noone from the media dept ever advise him to stop saying stupid stuff?? Why would we cap people who aren't getting game time when we have guys in form and picked regularly for their clubs that he won't put in the squad let alone team?

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 19:56, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I'm no defender of the shocking lack of friendlies Scotland engage in but there would've been no point arranging a friendly just now.

Clubs wouldn't have to release players and you'd get loads of withdrawals regardless. It'd end-up like that B international they arranged in early May under Burley.

6 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I'm no defender of the shocking lack of friendlies Scotland engage in but there would've been no point arranging a friendly just now.

Clubs wouldn't have to release players and you'd get loads of withdrawals regardless. It'd end-up like that B international they arranged in early May under Burley.

I know, I was kidding. It was a dig at the inevitable moaning when an unfamiliar nation leaps above us in the World Rankings. I mind seeing Cape Verde play a couple of times after they supplanted us, and they were simply a better side at the time. Wouldn't be a huge surprise if Benin actually are about as good as we are at the moment; shame they didn't qualify for the ANC, like we probably wouldn't  :P

Archived