Bladerunner 2049

Homer Thompson

51 minutes ago, bob the tank said:

I saw this on Sunday. Yes, visually stunning, good effects, understated performance from Ryan Gosling, but the problem is that it is an overlong bore of a film. I'm a big fan of the original film and was keenly looking forward to the sequel, only to be very disappointed. According to reports it is bombing at the US box office too.

I really can't agree.  I actually think there is more going on in this, than in the original. The themes are more layered and are richer than in the original and probably skew closer to Philip K. Dick's recurring themes than the first movie.  There is a lot going on in 2049 and for me it's as long as it needs to be to both fully explore the story and keep the distinctive tone of the original.

Same. Reviews says its poor.

The thing is it's actually getting rave reviews from the critics, but they are also saying that like the last one it might not be appreciated until a few years have gone by and it is reassessed. It is the basic story of the John Wayne classic the searchers with a dreadful blaring soundtrack and slot of fog and funny colours, and nobody looks very clean. My wife liked it, but she liked the Lego movie too, enough said...

Saw Blade Runner 2049 last night at the IMax at Braehead last night.

Visually stunning, excellent music both the original score and the soundtrack.

Explores the themes from the original movie and has plenty of obscure references from Kafka to the bible (how many are imaginary is anyone's guess) and a finale to match the original - just have to work out what it was all about now.

A bit unsure about the ending which seemed to contradict the premise of the fillum, careful about spoilers, but otherwise enjoyed it very muchily!

Spoiler

If K wants to keep Deckard being alive and his daughter's identity secret why does he take him to the daughters work place and die on the doorstep?

On 10/10/2017 at 15:14, Slenderman said:

Same. Reviews says its poor.

The vast, vast majority of reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are not just positive, but overwhelming in their praise.  

And rightly so.  It's a masterpiece.

I'm just in from seeing it. It's certainly a film that I'll need to rewatch a few times to fully appreciate, but while I wouldn't quite put it on a par with the original it's undoubtedly excellent. I can see where people are coming from with the slow pacing as a criticism and it could possibly have had 15/20 minutes trimmed off, but that's a personal taste thing and I don't agree myself: reflecting on it, if you did speed the pace up it could ruin the whole feel of it.

It does the original justice.

Absolutely loved it. Almost every frame was astonishing in its compositional beauty, and the sound design was something else. Cinematographer Roger Deakins and composer Hans Zimmer will surely be in contention for Oscars, and I'd be surprised if Villenueve doesn't find himself on the shortlist for Best Director.

I didn't find it slow. I was happy to luxuriate in the sensual pleasures on offer as the story languorously unfolded. It's refreshing to see a director determined to eschew the hyper-kinetic, headlong narrative rush that seems to be de rigueur in modern blockbusters. So many big budget movies tend to speed up towards the end, degenerating into a mindless procession of chases, explosions and fight scenes, so I tip my hat to anyone prepared to slow things down.

I thought the sound and visuals combined to create an intense, immersive experience. The last time I felt so swept up / fully-immersed in a movie was when I saw Apocalypse Now for the first time. Villeneuve has hinted at this before: deep sonic undertones in Sicario's soundtrack creating a visceral, gut-churning tension, so it was interesting that, even without his regular musical collaborator Johann Johannsson, he was able to harness Hans Zimmer's talents to similar effect, in the service of his increasingly singular style.

If I have a worry about Villeneuve's career, it's that his success (and though the initial US box office figures have been disappointing, Blade Runner 2049 will almost certainly have the slow-burning, enduring appeal of the best cult movies - and almost no-one goes to the cinema anymore - the success of this movie will be determined at the back end: downloads, VOD and blu-ray / DVD sales) in producing a critically-acclaimed sequel for such an iconic original might mark him out as the 'go-to guy' for movie franchises in search of critical reappraisal. He's already been installed as the favourite to helm 'Bond 25'. God forbid...

Saw it again tonight, this time in 2d.  The film plot demands 3D, irrespective of what the Director of Photography (Oscar shoo-in) says.  The plot makes more sense in 3D.

It's every bit as good on second viewing.  The only changes to my previous review would be; Harrison Ford's performance is actually subtler than I gave it for, and the actress playing the daughter is absolutely incredible for her short appearance.  

It's a masterpiece.   

ETA: it's not a sequel, it's a companion piece.

Archived