Dash cams - sensible or for arseholes?

Gaz FFC

Having had the life scared out of me on many occasions recently whilst driving I'm contemplating getting 1.

There are many videos on you tube which make them seem a very sensible investment and I myself have been in a collision where the other driver lied through his teeth and no witnesses meant I had to agree to 50/50.

My only concern having watched the you tube videos is too many folk just post utter shit videos of someone doing stuff you see every day and not really note worthy. Makes me think it's just a tool for bellends to seek attention.

Anyone got 1? 

Dashcams are worth every penny. Its up to you how you use them, but they can be used as evidence to help police or the insurance company and dig you out of trouble if you've been involved in an accident that's not your fault and the other party is blaming you. Seeing the rise in insurance scams on the road, its very worthwhile.

Definitely sensible to get one. It's only a tool for bellends if you chose to behave like a bellend when you get one.

My cousin was involved in a small crash that wasn't his fault but he had the dash cam on. Made his life a lot easier I imagine.

15 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I can't see how it would be anything other than sensible, Gav. I think posting utter shite videos from a dash cam on YouTube is personal choice rather than a mandatory obligation when you buy one.

I'm not denying that it was just more a case I seen too many I started to wonder if it was just knob heads who were buying them.

3 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

In fairness guys I'm actually amazed insurance companies aren't handing them out to all their customers.

With all the fake claims being made and all the lies being told, wouldn't it make sense?

I think some insurance companies charge a reduced premium if you have a dashcam although I may just have made that up.

44 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

100% sensible. So many accidents are settled on a 50/50 basis due to one persons word over the other and a lack of independent witnesses. 

Or, as happened in my step daughter's case, lack of honest witnesses.

7 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Russian dash cam vids on YouTube are superb. Drunks on foot, drunks driving trucks, drunks on mopeds, all set to the most atrocious techno.

This one's brilliant, might not be Russian.

If you were involved in an accident and had a dashcam that showed you were primarily to blame would you be obliged to share this?

BTW I don't have one but think they are generally a good idea.  I read some time ago that they may eventually become fitted as standard; also that insurance companies may start offering reduced premiums to folk who have them fitted.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

This one's brilliant, might not be Russian.

The cyclist ones annoy me where they go out of their way to be annoyed. It might be blatantly obvious that a driver hasn't seen them and instead of them adjusting their speed or road position they carry on regardless as the driver should have seen them. I'm sure they have their insurance uses but there's also plenty of attention seekers.

1 hour ago, Gaz FFC said:

Having had the life scared out of me on many occasions recently whilst driving I'm contemplating getting 1.

There are many videos on you tube which make them seem a very sensible investment and I myself have been in a collision where the other driver lied through his teeth and no witnesses meant I had to agree to 50/50.

My only concern having watched the you tube videos is too many folk just post utter shit videos of someone doing stuff you see every day and not really note worthy. Makes me think it's just a tool for bellends to seek attention.

Anyone got 1

Mods??

2 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Anyone got 1? 

We have them in our works vehicles. They were  installed for insurance/claims purposes but on one occasion proved a great investment for royally shafting the police when a colleague was pulled over and given a  speeding ticket.

I'm not sure the exact criteria, but apparently police using hand-held speed guns are supposed to be visible from so many hundred yards away or something like that. When the dash cam footage was reviewed, the police officer was clearly seen practically running out from behind a fence or hedge or something surrounding the entrance to some place over near Airdrie and aiming the speed gun when the guy from my work was only about 50 yards away, so his team leader advised him to contest the ticket. When it went to court, the dash cam footage was provided and the speeding charge was thrown out.

ETA: Don't go chancing it with those crafty cops though folks!

Archived