Junior clubs with U21/19 squads

BTID

Thought it would be interesting to see which clubs have or have had a setup below their first team. Has it brought players through to the first team? Are there exciting talents coming through who we might see make an impact in the junior game in the near future? 

Could the juniors be a better option for young players chance to get experience early on and learn quicker than some of the senior setups?

Don't know about U19 or U21 but a lot of Junior clubs are now encompassing a lot of youth / kids teams into their set up.
Irvine Meadow n Irvine Victoria, Gartcairn, Cumbernauld I seem to recall having this sort of set up. Although I'm not entirely sure of how they're set up.
As for bringing through younger players. I reckon that there are boys out there who are quite capable of performing at junior level but the route now seems to be going to the US. That's not a criticism either. After all if you're getting a qualification and an experience that's pretty much once in a lifetime why wouldn't a young player seize the chance.
Irvine meadow have just signed Liam Madden and Kilwinning Rangers have got Kenny Hogg both of whom went to the States and came back.
The issue is that for a number of years they were "lost" to the game here.
It's quid pro quo I suppose though.

• 2 weeks later...

Cumbernauld used to have quite a successful youth system. Rossvale have a well run one with a team at every age group, some cases there are 2 teams in the same age group.

Rob Roy have a 21s and a couple younger maybe 13s 14s? But the plan is to focus on establishing a well run youth set up once we get to our new home.

Kelty have one regular in the first team that came through the under 19 set up, and a few more on the fringes or out on loan also.  Several others have went on to other clubs at junior level so it is producing decent players for the junior ranks.

Arthurlie have an under 21 2 under 19's squads and age groups at most age groups with some be brought under the arthurlie banner and arthurlie also have an ams teams with 3 first team having 2 19 and a 17 year old who came through the academy  

2 hours ago, glensmad said:

Glencairn have two u14s teams, u16s, u17s, u19s and u21s.

Yeh Glencairn have a strong U19 squad would keep an eye out for a few coming through some really talented players there.

Same with Arthurlie who have the 2 U19 teams one is first year 19s so will gain good experience this year to build on.

Glencairn have two u14s teams, u16s, u17s, u19s and u21s.

Glencairn usually have a strong 21s side with a few really good players. There was a boy who scored 100 goals in the 21s for you's not sure where he is now though. I think he was on trial at the Roy at one point

Largs Thistle have oor Juniors, our Amateurs, Under-19s, Under-17s, Under-16s, and Under-14s. We had 17-year-old Matthew Ashe step up from 19s to the first team earlier this season - though he has since returned to the 19s to help their title challenge - while Jay Little, again aged just 17, scored in last Wednesday's friendly at Port Glasgow. 

Our 19s sit top of the Paisley, Johnstone & District League, despite some of their central players being as young as 16!

Blackburn Utd have U19's all the way down to U8 I think, as well as Soccer School, Amateur team, plus a Ladies team in the SWFL plus I think three girls teams.

We did have an U21 who weren't replaced a couple of years back as there was a bit of a gap down to the next age group (our current U19's), but out of that U21 team, three are currently playing Junior with us, and at least a couple more have played Junior with us but moved on. It was a good team that played together for many years. Our U11's (I think) folded last season as most were snapped up by pro-youth teams.

One of our current crop of first year U19's has came off the bench for us this season, and three have featured in friendlies.  For wee teams like ourselves, it's invaluable to have these players coming through.

Glencairn usually have a strong 21s side with a few really good players. There was a boy who scored 100 goals in the 21s for you's not sure where he is now though. I think he was on trial at the Roy at one point

Ross McNeil. He went senior after our u21s with Stenhousemuir and then Albion Rovers, then came back to us for 6 months. He then moved on to Cumnock but left them and took six months off before signing for East Kilbride FC where he is just now.

Our 19s sit top of the Paisley, Johnstone & District League, despite some of their central players being as young as 16!

Correct, but Division Three.

Rutherglen Glencairn u19s are top of Division One, the top league.

Ross McNeil. He went senior after our u21s with Stenhousemuir and then Albion Rovers, then came back to us for 6 months. He then moved on to Cumnock but left them and took six months off before signing for East Kilbride FC where he is just now.

Thanks, my brother was playing for Harestanes 21s and the boy needed 1 goal for 100 and ended up bagging a hat trick

A few years back the East of Scotland league started an u 19s league,Musselburgh athletic entered and even though the squad was small they did quite well ,Tynecastle won the league that year but Musselburgh won a cup. The team was binned by the manager with no reason given, Davie Mcglynn was the main man at the time. I think most of the team are still playing,some will be last year u21s some are at junior / EOS teams. I think that this should be the way to go,bring on your own future players ,great to hear other clubs thinking ahead. Hi Hat

Archived