Christmas is now...

Christmas is now more cultural than religious  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I go to church at Xmas and Easter but don't make a 'big issue' out of it.  I don't know anyone who does.  I don't take communion but I do enjoy the tunes.  Besides, The C of E is as religion lite as it gets and there's absolutely nothing wrong with regarding yourself as a cultural Christian.

I've never been to a more bananas (christian) service than the C of E. Big green man dresses, pointy hats, swinging incense, eating and drinking stuff, standing, sitting, kneeling, turn around and touch your toes, hands in the air, the lot.  Bizarre.

And in terms of architecture, I've never been to a prominent church, Notre Damme, Sacre Couer, St Pauls, Sagrada Famillia  that isn't surrounded by beggars and the needy.  Which kind of takes the shine off for me as I'm sure their ilk were there before and while they were being built and spunking equivalent billions on a palace for the Sky Fairy seems a bit crass and pointless, when folk are starving outside. Still.

In terms of xmas, I used to despise it. Now I don't work in hospitality, I find it much more pleasant and the addition of children to buy dangerous and loud presents for, makes the whole thing worthwhile.

Merry commercially driven Winterfest everyone, don't forget to rack up massive debt to keep our economy in rude health.

10 hours ago, RadgerTheBadger said:

I get my kill at all these halfwits who claim to be atheist yet make a big deal over Christmas

I don't know it's atheism or just being a miserable hoor but I can't be doing with Christmas. I was at a carol service the other day and felt a fraud. Shite old songs about a load of bollocks (IMO - fair enough if you believe in it). As GD touches on, the inside of the church was impressive but that was about all I took from it. 

The wife asks "do you like the Christmas tree?" and I think "why would I want a tree in my living room?". These days folk tend to get what they want, when they want so even as a commercial event Christmas seems outdated. We're such a modern society in so many ways that these kinds of festivities never cease to surprise me. Normally sane folk wearing stupid jumpers and turning their house into a tat-filled shrine.  

9 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I don't know it's atheism or just being a miserable hoor but I can't be doing with Christmas. I was at a carol service the other day and felt a fraud. Shite old songs about a load of bollocks (IMO - fair enough if you believe in it). As GD touches on, the inside of the church was impressive but that was about all I took from it. 

The wife asks "do you like the Christmas tree?" and I think "why would I want a tree in my living room?". These days folk tend to get what they want, when they want so even as a commercial event Christmas seems outdated. We're such a modern society in so many ways that these kinds of festivities never cease to surprise me. Normally sane folk wearing stupid jumpers and turning their house into a tat-filled shrine.  

Certified miserable hoor :P

27 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

Don't need to believe in the big man to want 2 weeks off work, great food, plenty of booze, extra footie on the tele and a lynx gift set.

Exactly.  I have always enjoyed Christmas and find it hard to understand those who can't appreciate the whole non-religious aspect of it.  Since our granddaughter was born five years ago it is even more enjoyable, discussing her Christmas list, decorating the tree, etc.  Thankfully no one gives me a lynx gift set.

I had tried my best to remain neutral on Christmas, but f**k it, I surrendered all neutrality sometime last week when all the shoppers made me miss my train.

Hoards of gawking mouthbreathers fighting over material goods to gift to their loved ones which a week from now will be hiding at the back of a drawer.

A waste of time, money and natural resources. Makes me fucking sick. I'm away to live in the trees, until they cut them down to turn into Christmas cards anyway.

Give me the dull monotony of January and February any day.

I had tried my best to remain neutral on Christmas, but f**k it, I surrendered all neutrality sometime last week when all the shoppers made me miss my train.
Hoards of gawking mouthbreathers fighting over material goods to gift to their loved ones which a week from now will be hiding at the back of a drawer.
A waste of time, money and natural resources. Makes me fucking sick. I'm away to live in the trees, until they cut them down to turn into Christmas cards anyway.
Give me the dull monotony of January and February any day.

Too far. January is without a doubt the worst, most miserable, horrible, bleak month of the year. Wouldn't surprise me if this was the top month of the year for suicides. Absolutely no redeeming qualities.

Not religious, but given Chrimbo is one of the few times of the year that families get together en masse, and people in general have something to cheer and not be arseholes to each other, it's a tradition well worth keeping.

Would leave some vacuum in the calender thinking about it.

These things wax and wane. I'm not sure about Scotland, but I know the US followed the English model for a long time. In the areas dominated by Puritans any celebration of Christmas was looked down upon. In colonial New England Anglican Christmas services sometimes required protection from religious zealots by redcoats. If I remember correctly, as recent as the late 1800s many places in the US scheduled school on Christmas to deter celebrations. In the rest of the country the holiday was mostly an excuse for men to gather and drink/gamble/party/etc. The current family / religious Christmas is largely attributed to Dickens, who may have been the most popular man in America during his era (funny that he hated us*). Though I'm sure there were broad cultural trends happening beyond one writer that led to our current conception of "old time" Christmas.

*"I still reserve my opinion of the national character, just whispering that I tremble for a Radical coming here, unless he is a Radical on principle, by reason and reflection, and from the sense of right. I fear if he were anything else, he would return home a Tory . . . I do fear that the heaviest blow ever dealt at liberty will be dealt by this country, in the failure of its example on the earth." Charles Dickens on his visit to America. One of my favorite British quotes about the USA.

Archived