Christmas is now...

Christmas is now more cultural than religious  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd argue that it's more economic these days than either cultural or religious.

A lot of the stuff we think of as traditionally Christmassy have got absolutely no basis in Christianity anyway, they're just lifts from older religions. If you're looking for an authentic Christian Christmas, you can get rid of the tree, the decorations, the holly and mistletoe for starters. Santa wouldn't be putting in an appearance either.

And you almost certainly wouldn't be celebrating it on December 25th - that date's down to a guy called Hippolytus taking a guess in the 3rd century.

14 hours ago, eindhovendee said:

I served Roger Black in a pub in Tenerife, he actuallly asked the "Do you know who I am?" question, he was a complete p***k.

I answered Kriss Akabusi.

True story and I have hated Roger Black since.

Similarly, my old man was chatting to Nicky Piper on a bus journey in Rhodes several years ago and when my dad remarked he looked like the former commonwealth champion, he asked in a shocked manner, 'you know who I am?!'.

Always found it amusing as it's the shitiest celeb 'do you know who I am' story I've ever heard. It's like something from the Viz letterbocks page.

14 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

What beliefs?  Do you believe that Jesus was the son of an omnipotent all powerful god?  Do you believe that he died and came back to life?

He clearly wasn't omnipotent if he got Mary pregnant. 

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

That joiner was fucking thick falling for that tale.

Obviously happy enough for God to hump his wife.

Well, you're not going to call the big man out are you? He'd probably turn you into a frog or something.

Well, you're not going to call the big man out are you? He'd probably turn you into a frog or something.

True. Plague of locusts and all that.

Wonder if he asked Mary (the virgin) if God was better than him?

Are you an atheist?  is rapidly approaching the status of Are you from Yorkshire?, are you a vegan?  and Is it true you don't own a television? for questions that you'll never, ever need to ask.

14 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Being culturally Catholic is good craic for winding up humourless bores that talk about sky fairies and worship Richard Dawkins.

:lol:  Given it is the festive season I have rewarded your pish trolling with a greenie.  Please point me in the direction of these Richard Dawkins worshippers as I would like to laugh at them.

For me it's always been about kriss Akabusi.  

He's the reason why I took up the 400m hurdles aged 49.  

I put them down again aged 49 and rejoined Gleneagles.   

He's a lovely chap if you ever meet him. Consistently unhinged which is unusual for a athlete.   Take John Regis for example.  You simply cant ask him anything about the Yewtree investigation without him starting to itch.   

:lol:

Burst out laughing in work at this.

Archived