Christmas is now...

Christmas is now more cultural than religious  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me it's always been about kriss Akabusi.  

He's the reason why I took up the 400m hurdles aged 49.  

I put them down again aged 49 and rejoined Gleneagles.   

He's a lovely chap if you ever meet him. Consistently unhinged which is unusual for a athlete.   Take John Regis for example.  You simply cant ask him anything about the Yewtree investigation without him starting to itch.   

Arguably it may have been more of a cultural event that was appropriated by religion. I think there is a belief it grew from a Roman festival called Saturnalia which had been a festival celebrating the end of the autumn planting season for Farmers.

16 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Thankfully.  

But there's a whole middle class midnight church shenanigans going on. 

The c***s who never to to church all year round but make a big issue about going at Christmas are almost as bad as the c***s that go regularly.  Almost.

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The c***s who never to to church all year round but make a big issue about going at Christmas are almost as bad as the c***s that go regularly.  Almost.

I go to church at Xmas and Easter but don't make a 'big issue' out of it.  I don't know anyone who does.  I don't take communion but I do enjoy the tunes.  Besides, The C of E is as religion lite as it gets and there's absolutely nothing wrong with regarding yourself as a cultural Christian.

Christmas presents and easter eggs are the things that keep the whole (but slowing) Christian powerwagon going, in the UK anyway.

Without that the religion would have no appeal to kids and they'd end up giving it the proper ridicule it deserves after avoiding the indoctrination dangling carrot bit.

(sent from the side of the A14 nr Rugby after vehicle power loss, for my sins)

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

I go to church at Xmas and Easter but don't make a 'big issue' out of it.  I don't know anyone who does.  Besides, The C of E is as religion lite as it gets and there's absolutely nothing wrong with regarding yourself as a cultural Christian.

I have no idea what a "cultural Christian" is.  Is it someone who doesn't have the bottle to reject the nonsense of religion because it may upset their peers?

6 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Serious question: What's the point?

I like the hymns, music, architecture and history.  I wouldn't go to a modern church singing 'new' carols.

The bit I find odd is people who despise religion actually celebrating an historically religious festival. 

Edit this to respond to GD's 'point'.  My quick working definition is someone who recognises the value that Xianity has made to a culture and is tolerant of some of the expressions of it but has no personal 'faith'.

16 hours ago, Pearbuyerbell said:

For me it's always been about kriss Akabusi.  

He's the reason why I took up the 400m hurdles aged 49.  

I put them down again aged 49 and rejoined Gleneagles.   

He's a lovely chap if you ever meet him. Consistently unhinged which is unusual for a athlete.   Take John Regis for example.  You simply cant ask him anything about the Yewtree investigation without him starting to itch.   

I served Roger Black in a pub in Tenerife, he actuallly asked the "Do you know who I am?" question, he was a complete p***k.

I answered Kriss Akabusi.

True story and I have hated Roger Black since.

I like the hymns, music, architecture and history.  I wouldn't go to a modern church singing 'new' carols.

The bit I find odd is people who despise religion actually celebrating an historically religious festival. 

Your trying to take the piss with that last bit and you know it.

You don't need to be religious to appreciate beautiful architecture that is also religious (I'm just a week back from Barcelona and the Sagrada Familia and the central cathedral stand out in a city of incredible architecture).  I also believe that the recently deceased Leonard Cohen's most wonderful song is overtly religious; I've played in 3 or 4 times a week since he died.

Doesnt mean you can't be rightly critical with everything that is wrong with a completely outdated concept that only existed because people didn't know any better at the time.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Your trying to take the piss with that last bit and you know it.

You don't need to be religious to appreciate beautiful architecture that is also religious (I'm just a week back from Barcelona and the Sagrada Familia and the central cathedral stand out in a city of incredible architecture).  I also believe that the recently deceased Leonard Cohen's most wonderful song is overtly religious; I've played in 3 or 4 times a week since he died.

Doesnt mean you can't be rightly critical with everything that is wrong with a completely outdated concept that only existed because people didn't know any better at the time.

I'm not religious but I'm not ardently anti-religious either.  You appreciate edifices built to the glory of a God you deny and eschew whereas I enjoy "O little town of Bethlehem" and don't have to park my beliefs to do so.

I'm not religious but I'm not ardently anti-religious either.  You appreciate edifices built to the glory of a God you deny and eschew whereas I enjoy "O little town of Bethlehem" and don't have to park my beliefs to do so.

What beliefs?  Do you believe that Jesus was the son of an omnipotent all powerful god?  Do you believe that he died and came back to life?

17 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

I served Roger Black in a pub in Tenerife, he actuallly asked the "Do you know who I am?" question, he was a complete p***k.

I answered Kriss Akabusi.

True story and I have hated Roger Black since.

If you see him again tell him his exercise machines are sh*te

Archived