Livi v QP

This looks like being our toughest game in December, QP have 4 wins and 2 draws in their last 6 league games. Tbh i'd be happy with a draw, as long as we win against East Fife the following week, 16 points out of 18 in December would be a very good return, and QP will be taking points from all our other top 4 teams, they're a hard team to play against. In saying that I still think we'll get a win, with our fitness now telling in games we're scoring a lot of late goals and I think we'll grind out another narrow win, 2-0 or 2-1 Livi.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There ye have it. Fan of a team romping clear at the top "happy with a draw" against Gus' Galacticos! Anything from the Alloa and Livi away games were going to be bonuses in my book, so we're already ahead of schedule in that sense! A case of "more of the same" for us and hope we can pick something up.

First things first, what a brilliant season Queen's Park are having, incredible what they are doing really and deserve enormous credit, sitting 5th only a few points off the play offs, fair play. 

They really where a tough nut to crack at Hampden and I expect the same in this one, Gus McPherson always has his teams set up well. 

At this point QP are the only team in the league that have stopped us scoring, and I'd like to think the players will be out to put that right on Saturday, we are 10 points clear at the top, at home and on a great run ourselves, we shouldn't fear anyone. 

We have so many good options right now, I'd be very tempted to start with the same line up again. De Vita had his best game since returning on Saturday, Cadden came on and scored and Danny Mullen is back.

We don't want to give encouragement to anyone below us, and we certainly need to guard against complacency creeping in. 

Think it'll be a tight game, hopefully with us winning by the odd goal. 

1 minute ago, an86 said:

There ye have it. Fan of a team romping clear at the top "happy with a draw" against Gus' Galacticos! Anything from the Alloa and Livi away games were going to be bonuses in my book, so we're already ahead of schedule in that sense! A case of "more of the same" for us and hope we can pick something up.

Was at the away game where you beat us and saw how hard it was for us trying to break your defence down. QP pressed us high up the pitch too and didn't give our players a second on the ball to look up and pass, it will be a tough game for us. With the run of form  QP are on it would be a fool to think anyone is going to get an easy game against them.

11 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Was at the away game where you beat us and saw how hard it was for us trying to break your defence down. QP pressed us high up the pitch too and didn't give our players a second on the ball to look up and pass, it will be a tough game for us. With the run of form  QP are on it would be a fool to think anyone is going to get an easy game against them.

We've certainly improved since the home game, but I suspect you will have as well. I think we're probably a better side than even many of our own fans, myself included, gave us credit for. Our performances haven't just been stuffy and containing recently, we've actually been playing some really nice stuff. All the old cliches ring true, though. One game at a time, enjoying the run of form that we're on etc. We know we'll have another rough patch, so we've just got to get as many points on the board as we can. This will be our last away fixture of what has been a terrific year to be following the club and a few great away days. I hope we can have one final one before the turn of the year!

1 hour ago, andylivi1 said:

First things first, what a brilliant season Queen's Park are having, incredible what they are doing really and deserve enormous credit, sitting 5th only a few points off the play offs, fair play. 

They really where a tough nut to crack at Hampden and I expect the same in this one, Gus McPherson always has his teams set up well. 

At this point QP are the only team in the league that have stopped us scoring, and I'd like to think the players will be out to put that right on Saturday, we are 10 points clear at the top, at home and on a great run ourselves, we shouldn't fear anyone. 

We have so many good options right now, I'd be very tempted to start with the same line up again. De Vita had his best game since returning on Saturday, Cadden came on and scored and Danny Mullen is back.

We don't want to give encouragement to anyone below us, and we certainly need to guard against complacency creeping in. 

Think it'll be a tight game, hopefully with us winning by the odd goal. 

Footage of that game showed it was a wrong call from the linesman who stopped us scoring not Queens Park. Agree they made it very tough for us though.

Fully expect Queen's Park to park the bus here, they'll probably be happy with a point. It's up to Hopkin to break down these teams and to be fair he's shown he can do that in the games like Albion and Stranraer.

1 hour ago, orco said:

Footage of that game showed it was a wrong call from the linesman who stopped us scoring not Queens Park. Agree they made it very tough for us though.

1-0 defeat is as tough as it comes mate. 

24 minutes ago, Livi_Lad said:

We have already bitched Airdrie, Brechin and Alloa this season so I would expect us to get past QP with no problems. Then again, it's Livi, we will no doubt draw this one.

Sounds like getting past has more reverence than being bitched. Thank you.

2 hours ago, orco said:

Yeah Mullin was onside, we had a few wrong offside calls against Airdrie from the far side linesman on Saturday too though but still managed to score two goals. We didn't really do enough against QP in that game to get something from it and failed to get in behind them.

I would expect us to use the wings to a far greater effect on Saturday though, Mullin and Cadden have looked pretty good in our last 3 games and even Rafa fired a ball across for Carrick to score our first against Airdrie, that's what we need to be doing against QP.

3 hours ago, an86 said:

We've certainly improved since the home game, but I suspect you will have as well. I think we're probably a better side than even many of our own fans, myself included, gave us credit for. Our performances haven't just been stuffy and containing recently, we've actually been playing some really nice stuff. All the old cliches ring true, though. One game at a time, enjoying the run of form that we're on etc. We know we'll have another rough patch, so we've just got to get as many points on the board as we can. This will be our last away fixture of what has been a terrific year to be following the club and a few great away days. I hope we can have one final one before the turn of the year!

We were actually on  good form scoring wise leading up to our last game with you, 13 goals in 3 games, so I think we were playing better back then than we are now, but were a bit gungho. We've now got into a habit of grinding out games  and aren't conceding many goals, so look a tougher side to play against now.

I thought Livi would wrap up the league late March but at the moment it looks likely it could be sooner. I've taken the Hampden game as an early season stutter and won't be troubled if it's the last points we win against you. Myself, and probably some others, maybe felt that the last couple of games would be bigger tests than they were so hopefully we keep steady through the Christmas period too. I'm just enjoying watching a team playing braw fitba again.

As for the bus parking nonsense; it's an Executive Coach these days fellas, cruising down the middle lane of the M8 with Gus at the big wheel;)

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

As for the bus parking nonsense; it's an Executive Coach these days fellas, cruising down the middle lane of the M8 with Gus at the big wheel;)

I read this and pictured it, Gus grinning from ear to ear.....superb.  

As far as I'm concerned, the longer people bang on about Gus parking the bus, the longer we'll keep him.

The guy that used to run our supporters bus was called Gus the bus. Just thought i'd share some useless information on here with us talking about buses being parked by Gus.

QP did put most of their players behind the ball, esp after they took the lead, but they also pressed us and we didn't exactly make it difficult for them with us continually playing through the middle. They were compact around the box and were well organized, but didn't look to have a great goal threat, but if you can defend as well as they did and score the odd goal you'll still come away with 3 points, and they did. 

Peterhead and Rovers played much the same way and also beat us, but we seem to have wisened up to those kind of teams and are showing more patience in games, not taking risks and just keep plodding away until we score. 

Archived