Colt teams

geo87

Seen a few reports this morning regarding the ugly sisters getting colt teams into the league setup. Their seems to be disagreement about them being put straight into league 2 instead of lowland league.

Surely they would need to start below the lowland league as it is already full?

What is everyone's views on this? I am generally supportive of colt teams, if it's good enough for Spain and Germany then it should be for us. I do feel it shouldn't just be Celtic and rangers though, and the opportunity should be there for any other eligible clubs.

Despite the media focus I don't seriously see that this proposal would be limited to Rangers and Celtic. Having said that, a colts team will require finances and facilities so I'm not sure how many teams would be interested. For me, this suggestion would  disproportionately benefit those clubs with colts teams to the potentially serious detriment of other clubs. I'd like to consider other options before colts teams.

FWIW I think they will try and put them straight into L2, ignoring their own Pyramid and pandering to the OF (Warburton quoted today as saying putting them in LL would be detrimental to their development), increasing L2 number and proposing nothing else.

If the SPFL clubs do the right thing and tell them to bolt, which is a big if, then yes the LL is full. That will mean nothing to our overlords quest to make sure their favourite sisters are happy though.

What they will then try and do is split LL east and west, creating the necessary places for a good few colts teams and invite interested juniors to join also. This will be sold as "doing the right thing", which to be fair splitting LL probably is, but for completely the wrong reasons.

There will of course be no restructure above LL/HL, which should really be a prerequisite, having more teams in L2 to allow automatic promotion/relegation plus a second playoff spot from the now 3 leagues below.

Or maybe there will be and come teams will take up the created spaces in L2.

Whatever happens, it won't be thought through, it won't be cut the good of scottish football, certainly won't be as good fit developing Scottish talent as say a rule which means the top teams must start at least 6 Scots (but that doesn't suit the OF preference to pay over the odds for second rate foreigners) and the lower league teams and fans will just be expected to take it.

44 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

FWIW I think they will try and put them straight into L2, ignoring their own Pyramid and pandering to the OF (Warburton quoted today as saying putting them in LL would be detrimental to their development), increasing L2 number and proposing nothing else.

Should this go ahead I'd expect any colts teams to be within the SPFL.

Archived