• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned it, but for their 4th it looked to me like a hand flicked the ball into the net.

Pretty sure it was an Ayr players hand trying to keep it out...

ETA: One or two of our players seemed to be appealing to the ref even after the ball went in and the goal had been given. Besides, it was a dreadful attempt at saving it anyway.

25 minutes ago, Jordo1872 said:

Well if today tells us anything it's that the players are still playing for the manager and have a fair amount of fight about them. Good to see after recent poor performances. Too come back from 2-0, 3-2 and 4-3 is impressive, especially when down a man.

onwards and upwards.

You forgot 'Away fae hame'

55 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

You forgot 'Away fae hame'

I walked out of the Bonnyrigg game (the home game) convinced Aitken had lost the dressing room, such was the lack of fight and desire from the players that night. That being one of the reasons I was an advocate for him being removed from his position in the immediate aftermath. The recent results against against Falkirk, Queens and now Ayr may not have been vintage performances but have proved me wrong in terms of the players willingness to compete and grind out results.

I said before the match today that a win would be massive but a point would be no bad result if scores went out way elsewhere, and so it proved. Ayr may well rue their inability to see out today's game if, as looks likely, they're dragged into the relegation dogfight with ourselves and the slightly improving Saints and Pars.

23 minutes ago, Jordo1872 said:

I walked out of the Bonnyrigg game (the home game) convinced Aitken had lost the dressing room, such was the lack of fight and desire from the players that night. That being one of the reasons I was an advocate for him being removed from his position in the immediate aftermath. The recent results against against Falkirk, Queens and now Ayr may not have been vintage performances but have proved me wrong in terms of the players willingness to compete and grind out results.

I said before the match today that a win would be massive but a point would be no bad result if scores went out way elsewhere, and so it proved. Ayr may well rue their inability to see out today's game if, as looks likely, they're dragged into the relegation dogfight with ourselves and the slightly improving Saints and Pars.

Magnanimous admission Jordo. I've never been one to advocate a manager's removal. If sacking a manager after a few bad results were a formula for success, then Dumbarton would be currently challenging at the top of the Premiership.

Great entertainment in the conditions that whilst bad we're not quite as bad as I've seen at the rock .

great spirit to fight back 3 times .

on the pen/red card . If it's other end I'd be screaming for both.

makes a change for us to get freak goals .

charleston is simply just a bad ref. So inconsistent with decisions particularly bookings for both teams .

I actually thought the ref got most things right tbh

He was consistent with first bookings for both teams...both seemed a little harsh, especially when an Ayr player got away without even being spoken too for hacking down Stirling from behind in the second half

Definitely a penalty, but the red card seemed a little harsh

He was consistent with first bookings for both teams...both seemed a little harsh, especially when an Ayr player got away without even being spoken too for hacking down Stirling from behind in the second half

Definitely a penalty, but the red card seemed a little harsh

Agree about the red card but not sure what the rules are now exactly

Agree about the red card but not sure what the rules are now exactly

I think the ref now has some discretion in the event of a penalty

There looked to.be contact, but it looked to.me as though Stirling got himself behind the ayr player and felt he needed some kind of challenge....it didn't look to be a professional foul

I believe - as I said on the St Mirren Ayr thread last week - from speaking to a ref at the start of the season that it's a red card if, in the opinion of the referee, the player does not make a true attempt for the ball.

If you look at Jamie Adams' red card last week it's the casing example. On it's own it's not a red, but because it was cynical it was a red.

Given that Stirling fouled Cairney with his hands and you can't tackle with your hands I think he's got the red card correct.

Great fighting spirit from our players today. When it got to 4-4, I was willing us to get another corner so we could get the winner. Probably would've been unfair to Ayr but I'd have been delighted with that. I'm very content this evening with the point we did get.

I particularly enjoyed the ball boy getting booed for not going into the puddle! 

5 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Our poorest defensive display all season all be it weather affected. Dumbarton were the better team but we were total crap.
Still expect us to be okay but it's relegation for the Sons in my humble opinion.

thought we looked relegation bound today

As someone else said earlier that's the kind of result that could come back to haunt us. If you're ahead at home to 10 men you have to see it out, particularly when the opposition is likely to be a fellow relegation candidate.

11 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Our poorest defensive display all season all be it weather affected. Dumbarton were the better team but we were total crap.
Still expect us to be okay but it's relegation for the Sons in my humble opinion.

I reckon it will be both of our teams in the bottom 2 positions come the end of the season. Just hope we remain above Ayr and maintain our reputation as Scotland's real part-time champions.

As someone else said earlier that's the kind of result that could come back to haunt us. If you're ahead at home to 10 men you have to see it out, particularly when the opposition is likely to be a fellow relegation candidate.

We seem to be pretty poor at taking advantage when our opponents go down to ten men. Today, against the Pars earlier this season and last season. Fair enough we got two goals today but we should be able to see a game out when we have more men on the park.

I reckon it will be both of our teams in the bottom 2 positions come the end of the season. Just hope we remain above Ayr and maintain our reputation as Scotland's real part-time champions.

You might be right but I think we will be much stronger after January with 2 new strikers. Still think St Mirren will be in the mix too.

Listen, we were and still are favourites for relegation.

We are the team that has just come up and is completely part time.

The teams around us are either full time or have established themselves in this division.

If we make 9th, it's a result, anything more than that is miraculous.

Dumbarton have shipped 7 goals to us and 4 points so far this season so nothing to fear there.

29 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Dumbarton were the better team but we were total crap.

Replace Dumbarton with Ayr and you have our reasoning for the first match between these sides. There's f**k all between the bottom 5 at the moment IMO and any momentum is welcome. That feels like a win for us today.

Archived