Old Firm Colts in L2

58 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I take your point about Watt but we had Mcgeady since he was 14 ffs, and took him from an 'amateur' club. We developed him.

It's like saying we developed Morgan or Jack Baird. Yes there is some truth in it but McGeady went to Celtic as one of the hottest young prospects in the youth game. Nothing wrong with that developing model, just like other people are saying I feel Celtic and Sevco could do a lot more for young Scottish players if they genuinely cared as they're claiming in the Colt debate. 

6 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Reserve league was sh*t, when I worked offshore I used to go to Airdrie the odd time to watch Celtic. Crowds were tiny  and the tempo of the game was crap.

Colt teams would be playing against similar/ lower level opponents. Competitive games have their merit but the level of L2 is not going to develop players quality enough to get Scotland to a world cup. 

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

I also forgot the likes of Mcgeady

who you touted from the Queen's Park youth system after impressing for us in games v Celtic, but let's not let the facts get in the way of a good story (not begrudging that you gave him the opportunity to step up a level, but credit where credit's due)

ETA - I've now seen the subsequent correspondence - could you not have been a little more condescending about the formative years he spent with us though?

Edited by The Spider

31 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Reserve league was sh*t, when I worked offshore I used to go to Airdrie the odd time to watch Celtic. Crowds were tiny  and the tempo of the game was crap.

Good point - far better that they sit unused on Celtic's bench than gain game time, lest it hinder their's development. Your attendance comment is entirely supefluous, and demonstrates that you have now reached the bottom of the barrel in searching for reasons to justify your case..............unless of course you have this vision that more people would go along to watch any L2 side you care to mention play Celtic Colts than watch a strong Celtic reserve side take on Aberdeen reserves whilst their first teams were doing battle at Pittodrie.

Edited by The Spider

49 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

Colt teams would be playing against similar/ lower level opponents. Competitive games have their merit but the level of L2 is not going to develop players quality enough to get Scotland to a world cup. 

I pretty much said that in a post earlier, the main young beneficiaries of this are unlikely to be that of international qualitiy I agree.

39 minutes ago, The Spider said:

who you touted from the Queen's Park youth system after impressing for us in games v Celtic, but let's not let the facts get in the way of a good story (not begrudging that you gave him the opportunity to step up a level, but credit where credit's due)

ETA - I've now seen the subsequent correspondence - could you not have been a little more condescending about the formative years he spent with us though?

Yeah Queens deserve slight recognition but lets face it Celtic picked him up at 14. We had had Andrew Robertson until he was 15 but We wouldn't be taking much  credit (if any at all) really for him.

27 minutes ago, The Spider said:

Good point - far better that they sit unused on Celtic's bench than gain game time, lest it hinder their's development. Your attendance comment is entirely supefluous, and demonstrates that you have now reached the bottom of the barrel in searching for reasons to justify your case..............unless of course you have this vision that more people would go along to watch any L2 side you care to mention play Celtic Colts than watch a strong Celtic reserve side take on Aberdeen reserves whilst their first teams were doing battle at Pittodrie.

Im not a  supporter of the colt idea so Im not scraping any barrel to justify it, I only started speaking in this thread as somebody  said we didnt produce players.  I would probably be more inclined to watch a Colt side than a reserve side if Celtic weren't playing that day but I cant see many turning up.   Your not the first person on here to mistake me for a colt supporter but such is the anger against people are looking to vent their disdain  they are just arguing against points Im not making. Such is the anger it is causing I dont really want to see it go ahead if it means fans chucking their season books.

Edited by gannonball

10 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

From 17 to 20 the players play in the colt teams,from 20 to 23 players get loaned out,you have to respect the league you play in,this is why you cant have reserve teams or U23's it doesnt work.

None of that makes sense but given the way you've been jumping from point to point in this thread that should be no surprise.

50 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

None of that makes sense but given the way you've been jumping from point to point in this thread that should be no surprise.

Sorry posting from my phone,oot on the jobby.if you put a colt team into league 2 you must respect the league structure celtic would need to keep the same players through out the season.

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Sorry posting from my phone,oot on the jobby.if you put a colt team into league 2 you must respect the league structure celtic would need to keep the same players through out the season.

According to the proposal they would be able to change squad members but only during the transfer window. The fact that colt games would be meaningless but could affect league positions of proper clubs depending on results shows total disrespect for league clubs.

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

From 17 to 20 the players play in the colt teams,from 20 to 23 players get loaned out,you have to respect the league you play in,this is why you cant have reserve teams or U23's it doesnt work.

Are you doing away with age group teams and having one under 20 team in L2? Or will the age group teams still exist for those not ready for L2?

This is getting a bit messy.

On 28/01/2018 at 10:24, Ranaldo Bairn said:

No offence was meant, but from skimming through your club thread I got the impression that there was a chap who used to be a Rangers fan but turned into a CFC one. I thought it was CC but am happy to retract it if I am mistaken.

its cowden316

he is a supporter not a board member.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

We had had Andrew Robertson until he was 15 but We wouldn't be taking much  credit (if any at all) really for him.

And nor should you.............that would be the equivalent of us telling McGeady that he had no future in the game as he was too wee, but we are more than happy to take on any other future Scottish Internationalists that you care to throw onto the scrapheap :)

It's very well known that Queen's Park invest a lot in their youth system and there are over a hundred players who have progressed through our set-up into the first team before moving on with our best wishes to better things, but less well publicised are the ones that get poached whilst still schoolboys, and other examples apart from McGeady include Eddie Gray, Derek Parlane, Danny McGrain and Mark Reynolds. The flip side of course is that we get to pick up the discards like Andy Robertson and Barry Douglas and try to rebuild their confidence, as well as getting first sight of loanees like Tony Ralston, so I acknowledge that the system works both ways, but sometimes I think the bigger teams (not just Celtic) don't give enough credit to wee clubs (like Queen's) who do a sterling job of producing these conveyor belts of future talent. Condescending attitudes like those of Hammyton (see below) are all too prevalent, but I often wonder what would happen if the number of clubs was reduced as many within the game would like to see.

On 25/01/2018 at 22:26, Hammyton said:

You minnows will find out its accept this or reconstruction.  2 leagues only soon if this is not accepted.

It's one thing to go down the Project Brave elitist route in the hope of achieving  a better standard of future Scotland players, but socially the overall game in Scotland will be far poorer, so those people need to be careful what they wish for. Historically Scotland did very well by having a large number of schoolkids playing football, and to re-dress that balance many clubs (including non-league ones) have loads of community programmes designed to increase the number of participants so that the cream can eventually rise to the top. Will a smaller pool of elite players (and we all know that putting old firms colts in L2 in just the thin edge of a very thick wedge designed to relegate all our smaller clubs over a number of years) produce a better Scotland team in years to come? Perhaps, but at what cost to our national game?  

On 27/01/2018 at 10:44, Cowden Cowboy said:

Well you see in the real world you do properly consider the options and don't just gut react based on your prejudices. But here in the virtual world you can indulge yourself with that luxury. Here's an interesting poser for you - what if the incentive was £200,000 not £15,000 and that level of finance might be transformative for your club and also nine other small Scottish clubs?

What if they offered £500,000? What if they offered £1 million? What if they offered £40 billion?

The figures are absolutely fucking irrelevant. If a club is willing to sell its soul for a bit of extra cash then they might as well not exist.

On 28/01/2018 at 09:41, Bairnardo said:

I am actually astonished this morning by the arrogance of this c**t. Bearing in mind he is no more than an employee of Celtic Football Club, to be talking in these terms is utterly horrifying. 

In a lot of ways this is just like when your employers sugar coat some minor changes that end up an absolute length with folk gettimg bagged etc. Its all the same type of language. 

And folk have the nerve to ask why we all hate the Arse Cheeks. 

Always knew you were a good c**t

3 hours ago, gannonball said:

Crowds were tiny  and the tempo of the game was crap.

"This would definitely not be the case if a Celtic 'Colt' team joined League Two!" he said, lying.

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Right. I'm talking about bringing back the reserve league instead of putting colts into League 2 so not of that really applies.

I like that Celtic would "respect the league" by absolutely destroying any competition in said league. You guys really have minds that work in special ways.

According to the proposal they would be able to change squad members but only during the transfer window. The fact that colt games would be meaningless but could affect league positions of proper clubs depending on results shows total disrespect for league clubs.
If I understand the proposal correctly, the Colts can play for their club's first team up to 4 times in any season and then revert back to the Colts. Sitting on the bench doesn't count.

So they can move between transfer windows as many times as they want.

39 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

If a club is willing to sell its soul for a bit of extra cash then they might as well not exist.

The current proposal is immoral shite, but let's not pretend other clubs wouldn't sell their granny to a brothel, if it suited them better.

Watch for the Championship clubs rallying behind Budge when she suggests divvying up any cash there is between the top two divisions

I'm just about to leave for training on a 1/3 of a pitch with dead astro, goals that collapse when tickled by a shot, and nets that are about as much use as *insert useless bantzy thing here*. For the privilege my team (U17s) will pay £40.

Maybe if the powers behind this spent the money fired on reports, and ferrying Chris McCart and the Rangers bloke around supporting this, on subsiding and improving grassroots facilities instead we might be in a better position.

Just a thought...