Old Firm Colts in L2

On 4/17/2018 at 18:21, victormeldrew said:

This appeared in ,"The Last Post" section of the Sunday Post on 15:04:18. 

LOAN MOVES SET FOR SHAKE UP.

The scrapping of the SPFL DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE at the end of the season is set to have a major impact on the loan market.

The SPFL are bringing back reserve -team football with an open-age  group , and Development Loans between Clubs will no longer be an option,with other temporary moves set to go.

Emergency Loans (28 days) and Standard Loans  (93 days) are also to be done away with.

Does this mean that the COLTS IN LEAGUE 2 saga is finally kicked into the long grass?

Does it mean no loans full stop.

Does it mean loans are only permitted during a transfer window and must be season long or for half a season.

I cannot find any details on the SPFL site but the POST must have got the story from somewhere.

Getting rid of the development loans is a load of bollocks. Players were getting first team football and then getting to apply within their respective clubs. All the game time you could possibly need to develop as a footballer.

Whether it being a u20 or reserve league, they should have kept this.

On 13/04/2018 at 08:48, Fat Sally said:

Possibly the ballsiest thing Barry Ferguson did as Clyde manager was to show the level of respect that you mention for the Challenge Cup.

He held a training session for the First Team on the pitch outside Broadwood whilst he sent the Under 20s team and coaching staff to face Partick Thistle Colts. Clyde got thumped but the point was made.

If other managers showed the competition that level of respect then it would be binned very quickly. The media keep talking about how successful the new Challenge Cup format has been and have ignored the fact that fans, players and managers hate it.

If it had been Rangers U20s as the opponents, I'd bet my last penny BF would have had his best suit on and the 1st team on the pitch.

• 3 months later...

Death knell for this loony tunes idea finally sounded today https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44932616 . Quite amazingly someone has realised that " it would benefit the development of young players if they were playing alongside more experienced players on a more regular basis". Obviously Cowden Cowboy wasn't on that steering committee, but any one of 100 other posters on this thread could have told them that 18 months ago and saved them a lot of expense and bother!

4 minutes ago, The Spider said:

Death knell for this loony tunes idea finally sounded today https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44932616 . Quite amazingly someone has realised that " it would benefit the development of young players if they were playing alongside more experienced players on a more regular basis". Obviously Cowden Cowboy wasn't on that steering committee, but any one of 100 other posters on this thread could have told them that 18 months ago and saved them a lot of expense and bother!

But but Celtic. But But Sevco.

In the same week as Adam Rooney leaving Aberdeen for Salford City, surely Scottish football is now only 12 months from certain death?

Don't recall ever disagreeing with this approach - voted against colts in League and supported introduction of reserves. So don't understand your point

10 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Don't recall ever disagreeing with this approach - voted against colts in League and supported introduction of reserves. So don't understand your point

Now you know how the rest of us all feel about your posts then :unsure:

However, if I am to take you seriously, why did you vote against it if personally you thought it was good for your club?

On 26/01/2018 at 10:50, Cowden Cowboy said:

Stenhousemuir statement seems quite appropriate and sensible - it also clearly sets out what is happening and the Old Firm and SPFL's involvement which again is pretty straightforward. The problem with this debate that it is to a fair degree skewed by hatred for the Old Firm, SPFL, SFA, Messrs Doncaster and Regan such that a mob rule feel starts to pervade rather than just being a sensible debate. It is up to the clubs to discuss any proposals put to them from whatever source and form a view. They need to consider both what is best for their club and also Scottish football - the latter aspect because that is also in the club's interest and also because as members of the SPFL and SFA they are duty bound to act in the best interests of those organisations. Fans of course are fully entitled to give their club's feedback which influences the club's views/decision along with any other relevant factors.

For me personally on that test is it good for my club

2 hours ago, The Spider said:

However, if I am to take you seriously, why did you vote against it if personally you thought it was good for your club?

That final sentence?  I don’t recall writing that at all but can’t readily find that post.  Thus firstly I have doubts re its validity but even so it does not even imply what you suggest - it does not at all say I thought it good for my club mainly because I never thought it was 

Very nicely edited. :lol:

On 1/26/2018 at 10:50, Cowden Cowboy said:

Stenhousemuir statement seems quite appropriate and sensible - it also clearly sets out what is happening and the Old Firm and SPFL's involvement which again is pretty straightforward. The problem with this debate that it is to a fair degree skewed by hatred for the Old Firm, SPFL, SFA, Messrs Doncaster and Regan such that a mob rule feel starts to pervade rather than just being a sensible debate. It is up to the clubs to discuss any proposals put to them from whatever source and form a view. They need to consider both what is best for their club and also Scottish football - the latter aspect because that is also in the club's interest and also because as members of the SPFL and SFA they are duty bound to act in the best interests of those organisations. Fans of course are fully entitled to give their club's feedback which influences the club's views/decision along with any other relevant factors.

For me personally on that test is it good for my club - no, does it benefit the SPFL, no, does it benefit the SFA (Scotland national team), possibly but we don't know

I argued with CC until I was blue in the face over this stuff but that is very sneaky, editing people's quotes to suit your point is not cool - he actually says it's not in his clubs interest;

On 26/01/2018 at 10:50, Cowden Cowboy said:

For me personally on that test is it good for my club - no, does it benefit the SPFL, no, does it benefit the SFA (Scotland national team), possibly but we don't know

CC, if you hover over the right hand corner of any quoted post there is a wee arrow which when clicked takes you to that quoted post.

EDIT - Beaten by a bawhair @The Minertaur:P

Edited by The Moonster

CC, if you hover over the right hand corner of any quoted post there is a wee arrow which when clicked takes you to that quoted post.
EDIT - Beaten by a bawhair [mention=1104]The Minertaur[/mention][emoji14]

Snooze you lose ;)

49 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Don't know what the QP fan is getting so bothered about this he would be better spending his time hoping that the SFA will let his side stay on at Lesser Hampden once they boot them out.

You are quite correct that I am keeping a close watch on what happens regarding the future of Hampden, but I would also suggest that also applies to almost every single P&B poster, yourself included?

I would also suggest that your expression of concern (or lack of it) for QP's future has more to do with diverting attention from the real issue that is being discussed at boardroom level on a daily basis at every club the length and breadth of the country.....................why are Cowden not participating in the new reserve league (surely not because they have major survival concerns of their own?)?

CC, you're forbidden from having an open mind about anything. Some folk are simply too dim to understand others that at least try and provide a counter argument regardless of it's popularity and whether the person agrees with it or not.

3 minutes ago, The Spider said:

You are quite correct that I am keeping a close watch on what happens regarding the future of Hampden, but I would also suggest that also applies to almost every single P&B poster, yourself included?

I would also suggest that your expression of concern (or lack of it) for QP's future has more to do with diverting attention from the real issue that is being discussed at boardroom level on a daily basis at every club the length and breadth of the country.....................why are Cowden not participating in the new reserve league (surely not because they have major survival concerns of their own?)?

I imagine CC will put you straight here but a wild guess at why Cowden aren't running a reserve team would be finances. As far as I'm aware nobody gets funding for fielding reserve teams, so you're effectively funding 2 full squads from the same pot of money. Dumbarton aren't participating (and scrapped our youth development programme) for pretty much the same reasons - the money we'd need to put into a reserve team just isn't worth the impact it would have on the performance of the club. That's not to say Cowden are on the verge of collapse, I know Dumbarton aren't, but both boards have clearly looked at the pros of entering a reserve team and found that the cons far outweigh them.

3 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

what about the other fifteen clubs?

As East Kilbride are included it'd be 16 SPFL clubs. Presumably skipping for financial reasons.

In stranraer & annan's case they have reserves in the South of Scotland. Probably think that's a suitable level.