Old Firm Colts in L2

7 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Unfortunately my maw was a ***. However, in a quirk of fate, like her team, she also died in 2012!

Dare I ask; is she now a zombie, shambling around pretending everything's fine and that she's the same as she was before?

On 2/1/2018 at 13:28, The Spider said:

Got to admire your idealism, but my fear would be that much less finance = less players per club (Scottish players or otherwise), a poorer spectacle for spectators, some fans missing the excitement of their eight Old Firm games and using their season ticket money to buy Sky subscriptions instead, and some clubs at the bottom of L2 going out of business. Can't believe I'm saying this, but even if that was just Clyde, it would still be a bad thing for our game.

I know it's idealism but not in the way you've stated. It's idealistic in the way that Rangers and Celtic are going nowhere and the chiefs in Scottish football would fight tooth and nail to keep them. (All about money)

I do reject the quality side of this debate. Scottish Premier is not a place for quality football currently. It's not even close. The quality at the top flight might go down slightly but I don't think it would be noticeable. St Mirren for an example are playing some amazing stuff right now. Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and a good few others even without Rangers and Celtic will still command bigger budgets that we have now so arguably there's no reason quality can't be maintained. Plus a lot of team park the bus against Rangers and Celtic, would hope aspects of that would change. 

As for the Excitement of the  games, it's getting stale and boring already and Rangers have only been in the league two seasons. What was it six games they played last season? I also can't name a single fan of the other 40 clubs that gets their season ticket or attends their club matches because of four games (or the chance of one) against either of those teams. Again when St Mirren were in top flight or two season ago with Rangers, I got mine despite them. I'd also come back with, do you think there would be more excitement with teams like ICT, St Johnstone, Motherwell, etc fans if in recent years instead of finishing third or second they were pushing for the league title?

Finally, with my Wales and N Ireland point. There is no reason any professional club would have to go out of business. Teams are maintained with much less budget than any team in the structure. I'm also sure you'd agree not many go see a Clye, Forfar or Stirling Albion for the football quality. 

19 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

For me if you have 40 odd players in the 2 colt teams between the ages of 17-21 playing 1 or 2 full seasons in league 2 PLUS having players loaned out between the ages of 19-23 you are giving every player the opportunity to develop and gain vital experience against senior pros that they don't get playing in the development league.
The trickle down effect has always been there, with tons of players that don't make the grade, for me this proposal will increase the number of players staying in the game.

At the expense of turning your bottom to divisions into development leagues, alienating a good number of fans at these clubs and even turning some away from football. Not a good enough reason for me or others with not enough evidence that it'll make a real difference. I'm very much of the mind if you're good enough and have the right attitude/ desire, you'll make it as a footballer. No need for Rangers and Celtic Colts for this. In fact there is just as much evidence it would hinder development by throwing them in too early or damaging morale with weekly pumpings if it goes the way of the Challenge cup. 

16 minutes ago, GordonD said:

The phrase 'trickle down effect' keeps getting used. To me this means that the OF telling the other clubs "You can sign our rejects - you should be grateful!" Talk about crumbs from a rich man's table.

It's 'trickle down' in the sense of urine down an alky's leg.

Not needed or pleasant for those at the foot.

22 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

So you want Celtic to have two full squads, plus a youth squad, plus loaned out players, and you can't see any issue with stockpiling players in that manner? 

With Jack Hendry playing today Celtic have used 27 players this season,with the demands of playing on average 60 games a season  and the rotation of a squad this has nothing to do with stockpiling players.

11 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

With Jack Hendry playing today Celtic have used 27 players this season,with the demands of playing on average 60 games a season  and the rotation of a squad this has nothing to do with stockpiling players.

Are you actually that thick?

4 hours ago, Bazil85 said:

At the expense of turning your bottom to divisions into development leagues, alienating a good number of fans at these clubs and even turning some away from football.

Look, I'm no fan of Wastecoat Willy either, but isn't going to the expense of turning his bottom into divisions (I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that there already were two) taking things a little bit too far? And quite what development plans you have after that I'm not entirely sure, but it would certainly be enough to turn me away from football.:lol:

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:57, DA Baracus said:

Wastecoatwilly is quite astonishingly thick.

Donald Findlay/Cowden Cownoy is a knob.

'Colts' is a shite term and the proposal is even worse and will never work.

Fin.

The knobs, the rest of the Board and the fans are still all against the  proposal. Please see the Cowden FC website. I look forward to seeing an expanded explanation for our continued refusal to accept  colt teams in the SPFL leagues in Saturday's programme.  FYI the press release was issued by our Treasurer/club secretary and he didn't grit his teeth !!:angel

Great to see Ryan Porteous start for Hibs at Ibrox at the weekend, a perfect illustration of how effective the current development loan system can be.

Identified as a good but raw player by Hibs, sent on loan to Edinburgh City at 17/18 but still training some days with the Hibs development squad and playing the odd game. Plays alongside lower league legend Joe Mbu and in a team fighting for their lives every game.

Has a brilliant season smashing into League 2 forwards and pops up with the odd goal (including a last minute winner at Arbroath that is one of my all time favourite moments in football).

Goes back to Hibs this season so Lennon and his coaches can have a look, City ask for him back, Hibs rightly say naw he needs tested at a higher level. A further development loan to Dumbarton in the Championship is on the cards (no mechanism for that flexibility in the Colts proposal by the way). However a few injures and Porto strolling the League Cup group stages sees that cancelled and he’s now a first team squad member.

Cue this weekend and he’s strutting about Govan with an £8m Colombian in his back pocket.

If there was a Hibs Colts team then he’d be in his second season in League 2, captaining a team of kids getting roundly pumped every week.

34 minutes ago, AllyMonc said:

Great to see Ryan Porteous start for Hibs at Ibrox at the weekend, a perfect illustration of how effective the current development loan system can be.

Identified as a good but raw player by Hibs, sent on loan to Edinburgh City at 17/18 but still training some days with the Hibs development squad and playing the odd game. Plays alongside lower league legend Joe Mbu and in a team fighting for their lives every game.

Has a brilliant season smashing into League 2 forwards and pops up with the odd goal (including a last minute winner at Arbroath that is one of my all time favourite moments in football).

Goes back to Hibs this season so Lennon and his coaches can have a look, City ask for him back, Hibs rightly say naw he needs tested at a higher level. A further development loan to Dumbarton in the Championship is on the cards (no mechanism for that flexibility in the Colts proposal by the way). However a few injures and Porto strolling the League Cup group stages sees that cancelled and he’s now a first team squad member.

Cue this weekend and he’s strutting about Govan with an £8m Colombian in his back pocket.

If there was a Hibs Colts team then he’d be in his second season in League 2, captaining a team of kids getting roundly pumped every week.

Sums it up pretty well Ally no need for all this Colts tosh as the clubs can send them out to clubs to gain experience. Lewis Moore had been on loan to us last season and has played for the Hearts 1st team this season.

Sums it up pretty well Ally no need for all this Colts tosh as the clubs can send them out to clubs to gain experience. Lewis Moore had been on loan to us last season and has played for the Hearts 1st team this season.

Think it’s important that all sides highlight how successful these loans can be. If Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen etc. are confident that they can send their promising players to clubs in L1/L2 and that they’ll be looked after then that’s surely preferable to them than the costs involved in running a Colts squad. Much easier proposal to argue successfully against if it’s the OF against everyone else.

Daylight robbery that day, nearly cost us the title too [emoji1]

Daylight robbery that day, nearly cost us the title too [emoji1]

Oh aye no idea how we got away with that one. I seem to remember thinking youse had fu**ed it that day. Turned out Forfar were determined to f**k it a bit more.