Old Firm Colts in L2

In all this, I am just wondering how a "minnow" nation such as Iceland, who t.b.h. were better known as a frozen foods chain, can develop football in a country less than 10% the size of Scotland, without an Old Firm to sustain their game. I am almost certain from the little I do know that Iceland's success of late is due to investment in sport at community level, not simply satisfying the whims of the "ugly sisters"...

6 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Celtic FC - Former academy players | Transfermarktwww.transfermarkt.co.uk
106 players not sure how much credit we get for some of them.

How many of these have made a difference to the Scottish International team as that is supposed to be the ultimate goal of all this ?  How much it has earned Celtic & provided the odd international to some foreign country is of no interest to anyone apart from Celtic.

9 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Celtic FC - Former academy players | Transfermarktwww.transfermarkt.co.uk
106 players not sure how much credit we get for some of them.

The fact the vast majority of them had to leave Celtic (with little or no 1st team experience I may add) somewhat renders the request for "credit" null and void.

Too many Clubs take the "frog spawn" approach to youth development as opposed to concentrating on few, more select youngster that genuinely have a chance of making it at their Club. Celtic aren't alone in this.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
5 minutes ago, peternapper said:
How many of these have made a difference to the Scottish International team as that is supposed to be the ultimate goal of all this ?  How much it has earned Celtic & provided the odd international to some foreign country is of no interest to anyone apart from Celtic.

Dont know about you but I stopped at Jim Goodwin

I can just picture him holding up a World Cup for Scotland :whistle

9 minutes ago, sjc said:

The fact the vast majority of them had to leave Celtic (with little or no 1st team experience I may add) somewhat renders the request for "credit" null and void.

Too many Clubs take the "frog spawn" approach to youth development as opposed to concentrating on few, more select youngster that genuinely have a chance of making it at their Club. Celtic aren't alone in this.

I think you prove my point for me,giving development players a full season in league 2 will enhance their chances. 

Just now, wastecoatwilly said:

I think you prove my point for me,giving development players a full season in league 2 will enhance their chances. 

It won't. Young players would develop more if they were playing with and against better, more experienced players. A Reserve league would benefit their progress far better than lobbing a youth team in against 10 other part time teams........whilst fucking up the integrity and enjoyment of the league at the same time.

2 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

League 2 seems to be the one everyone wants to be in just now, is it the challenge of pitting themselves against guys that have done a proper days work as a plumber or postie & trained one or two nights a week that they think will look good on their cv. Use the loan system which is better suited to giving players experience at a suitable level for their ability better ones loaned out to championship level poorer ones to league 2 or lower, can be for half a season or longer depending on how they get on. 

7 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Does league 2 not have that?

Maybe it does but they are hardly at a level which is going to push these players to the level where they are going to compete for international places are they, especially when the colts teams will have nothing to play for against teams trying to win games to win the league, promotion or avoiding a drop. 

16 minutes ago, scot-gcar709 said:

Maybe it does but they are hardly at a level which is going to push these players to the level where they are going to compete for international places are they, especially when the colts teams will have nothing to play for against teams trying to win games to win the league, promotion or avoiding a drop. 

It's all about getting more experience and giving the players every chance they can get,the loan system is great but not enough as far as international places go who knows? What are you asking for guarantees? 

Edited by wastecoatwilly

29 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Does league 2 not have that?

No. Not for a team of kids it doesn't. Read and think about my post as a whole.

Just now, Blootoon87 said:

Why not stick colt teams in the premiership? Playing against much better players will develop them even quicker?

Or perhaps something like a league for Premiership teams that they can play their reserve 1st team players with a few youth team player.........they could call it "the reserve league"

It's all about getting more experience and giving the players every chance they can get,the loan system is great but not enough as far as international places who knows?

The loan system is vastly superior to Colt nonsense. It allows you to tailor where players go, Thistle currently have guys playing lowland league, League 2 and Championship on loan depending where they are in their development. You can’t do that with Colts.

11 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

It's all about getting more experience and giving the players every chance they can get,the loan system is great but not enough as far as international places go who knows? What are you asking for guarantees? 

Why would i ask for guarantees? There are no such things. I just  don't understand why you think that having teams playing against L2 teams is going to be any more effective in developing players than having players out on loan to teams throughout the leagues, getting various levels of experience in actual competitive matches?

22 minutes ago, scot-gcar709 said:

Why would i ask for guarantees? There are no such things. I just  don't understand why you think that having teams playing against L2 teams is going to be any more effective in developing players than having players out on loan to teams throughout the leagues, getting various levels of experience in actual competitive matches?

Players will still be loaned out it does not effect that,colt teams will increase the number of players trying to make it in the game.