Old Firm Colts in L2

I'm not sure after the junior vote to join the pyramid. I've heard that there are 13 junior teams applying to the EoS league this year.

Apparently you only get £1800 for winning the Superleague so it's a no brainer for them if that's the case.

Knowing the SFA they'll no doubt snake the colts into the restructuring that will be needed pretty soon.

I'd have no problem with them being put in a WoSL and denied promotion from it. Putting them in the senior leagues is just plan daft.

3 hours ago, JakeSAFC said:

I'd have no problem with them being put in a WoSL and denied promotion from it. Putting them in the senior leagues is just plan daft.

I'd have no problem with them being put in a car crusher.

On 4/5/2018 at 14:09, ONeils40yarder said:

I've not met a single Motherwell fan (or any other fan outside Rangers/Celtic) who thinks that 'Colt' teams in the senior league is a good idea.

Cowden Cowboy regularly says that Premier fans would want it. He's been asked a few times to back that up. I'll allow you to guess how many times he's managed to do that.

Cowden Cowboy regularly says that Premier fans would want it. He's been asked a few times to back that up. I'll allow you to guess how many times he's managed to do that.

Not aware of being asked that question but there have been several polls of Old Firm and Hearts fans plus comments on their forums showing decent levels of support - why would they not back it as they will perceive the benefits and aren't impacted at all by having their own League compromised?

Thought there was word of some sort of reserve league being set up for those clubs that wanted to get away from the development/colt league that seems to be a failure. If they provide a league for those teams & avoid trying to muscle into existing league club places then ok. If Colt teams still get places in the Challenge Cup again next season I personally & would urge other supporters to not attend those games, we have been lucky so far not having to face a Colt but if it happened I would stay away to keep making the point they are not wanted.

Thought there was word of some sort of reserve league being set up for those clubs that wanted to get away from the development/colt league that seems to be a failure. If they provide a league for those teams & avoid trying to muscle into existing league club places then ok. If Colt teams still get places in the Challenge Cup again next season I personally & would urge other supporters to not attend those games, we have been lucky so far not having to face a Colt but if it happened I would stay away to keep making the point they are not wanted.

I’m not sure that is making the point though. Attendances at matches involving colts have generally been well down in comparison to normal crowd levels. The colt sides have been beaten fairly easily by mediocre lower league sides. And still there are people claiming it as a success.

On 04/04/2018 at 17:59, scot-gcar709 said:

More than a little worried about the fact she says discussions are still ongoing. Just what is required to kill this idea off?

Constant correspondence with your club which says "GET THIS IN THE SEA" every time it gets spoken about. We can't stop them talking about it private, but we can put our view across to our club and hope that they'll listen. That or some sort nuclear event which wipes out Glasgow.

1 hour ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Not aware of being asked that question but there have been several polls of Old Firm and Hearts fans plus comments on their forums showing decent levels of support - why would they not back it as they will perceive the benefits and aren't impacted at all by having their own League compromised?

This strikes me as the sort of thing a politician says when they're asked to back up their claim but have no actual evidence to give. Can you link us to at least 1 of these several fan polls?

Why would they not back it? For all the same reasons fans of Championship and League 1 teams don't want it.

Edited by The Moonster

On 4/10/2018 at 15:24, Cowden Cowboy said:

I don't back it because its a ridiculous notion, and I see no benefit at all. Added to this, most fans of non-Old Firm teams are acutely aware that they are only a couple of bad seasons away from potentially playing their own Colts team if this is given the green light.

What are the 'perceived benefits'?

16 minutes ago, ONeils40yarder said:

I don't back it because its a ridiculous notion, and I see no benefit at all. Added to this, most fans of non-Old Firm teams are acutely aware that they are only a couple of bad seasons away from potentially playing their own Colts team if this is given the green light.

What are the 'perceived benefits'?

The official line was it was to make the International Team a world force by giving development league players experience playing mainly part time  players of league 2  standard. 

The actual reason was because the Old Firm thought they could benefit from it by giving excess squad players a regular game just in case they happened to need them sometime. Also possibly if they could ever get their teams into another league either English or European they would still have their Colt team taking up a league place in Scotland. Either way there is no way it should ever happen.

Constant correspondence with your club which says "GET THIS IN THE SEA" every time it gets spoken about. We can't stop them talking about it private, but we can put our view across to our club and hope that they'll listen. That or some sort nuclear event which wipes out Glasgow.

I'm not particularly convinced that Brechin City could have much of a voice on this later part. However, if a Dundee/Angus Utd could command a far more substantial influence on such high level decisions then I'd be far more partial to the idea of a controversial merge.

On 10/04/2018 at 16:02, peternapper said:

If Colt teams still get places in the Challenge Cup again next season I personally & would urge other supporters to not attend those games, we have been lucky so far not having to face a Colt but if it happened I would stay away to keep making the point they are not wanted.

Possibly the ballsiest thing Barry Ferguson did as Clyde manager was to show the level of respect that you mention for the Challenge Cup.

He held a training session for the First Team on the pitch outside Broadwood whilst he sent the Under 20s team and coaching staff to face Partick Thistle Colts. Clyde got thumped but the point was made.

If other managers showed the competition that level of respect then it would be binned very quickly. The media keep talking about how successful the new Challenge Cup format has been and have ignored the fact that fans, players and managers hate it.

Aye fair do,s to Clyde & Ferguson for doing that,  our manager has made his feelings well known about the Colts issue but with a squad of around 20 we would not be able to have two teams.  Its the sponsors I feel a bit sorry for as the competition has gone from a chance of smaller teams winning a cup to one now associated with Irn-Bru that make most lower league supporters angry about.

On 4/4/2018 at 19:03, Cowden Cowboy said:

She isn't - probably most Hearts fans would be in favour as would most Premier club fans. It is the lower league fans in general who don't want it

The majority that comment on social media and on places like this seem to be against it in my experience. It's actually been reassuring that a lot of fans of these clubs are supportive of the little guy. (Can actually say the same for a number of Celtic and Rangers fans) 

On 4/10/2018 at 15:24, Cowden Cowboy said:

The main fan survey across top flight teams as well, biggest of its kind and it didn't show very much support. Also if you don't think Celtic/ Rangers Colts could have an impact on young players choosing them over SP youth structures (even if these teams also had Colts) then you're very much mistaken. 

2 hours ago, Bazil85 said:

Also if you don't think Celtic/ Rangers Colts could have an impact on young players choosing them over SP youth structures (even if these teams also had Colts) then you're very much mistaken. 

Too many negatives in that sentence for me to get my head round. Undoubtedly my fault but could you say it again so I can see what point you're making?

This appeared in ,"The Last Post" section of the Sunday Post on 15:04:18. 

LOAN MOVES SET FOR SHAKE UP.

The scrapping of the SPFL DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE at the end of the season is set to have a major impact on the loan market.

The SPFL are bringing back reserve -team football with an open-age  group , and Development Loans between Clubs will no longer be an option,with other temporary moves set to go.

Emergency Loans (28 days) and Standard Loans  (93 days) are also to be done away with.

Does this mean that the COLTS IN LEAGUE 2 saga is finally kicked into the long grass?

Does it mean no loans full stop.

Does it mean loans are only permitted during a transfer window and must be season long or for half a season.

I cannot find any details on the SPFL site but the POST must have got the story from somewhere.

Half season or full season loans except in certain circumstances (goalkeeper injury etc.) I'm led to believe. Which is fair enough. Clubs using the emergency loan system when they were in a wee bad spell of form or had a player injured or suspended for a few weeks make a bit of a mockery of idea of having transfer windows and squads anyway tbh.

On 4/16/2018 at 19:08, GordonD said:

Too many negatives in that sentence for me to get my head round. Undoubtedly my fault but could you say it again so I can see what point you're making?

The person was making a point about other SP team fans being for the Colts. I was making the point that regardless if every SP team had a Colt team the Rangers and Celtic Colt teams would likely still take more quality young players from them. 

If Celtic and Rangers had Colt teams they'd be filling them with some of the best young talent available. Where does that talent come from? Youth squads for SP and Championship teams and maybe young players that are breaking into those teams. Can you imagine a 17 year old Celtic fan being asked to choose between Celtic Colts and Hearts Colts. Only going to be one winner.