Old Firm Colts in L2

You say they initially were against the Colts in the Challenge Cup but changed their minds.

I'm curious why these so called Clyde fans would change their views given that all the positive arguments (crowds, interest, sponsorship) for the colts in that competition turned out to be wrong.

Curiouser and curiouser.

I can only assume these "Clyde fans" sit in the row in front of you at Celtic Park.

We played our own under 20 side against Partick Thistle Colts in the Challenge Cup in front of our lowest crowd for that season. I think that tells you all you need to know.

I've yet to meet any Clyde fan in favour of the proposal either. I honestly do not know why people keep responding to him on this thread.

16 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Their used to be rules about a certain number of youth players on the bench, but it was horrendous. You'd have six youngsters consigned to sitting on the bench every single week never getting any football. 

We've had two youngsters sit on the bench and solely play youth football with youth team mates, those two have gone absolutely nowhere and soon left us. 

We've had two youngsters have numerous loans throughout the lower leagues, playing beside senior players,  ones now our starting CH and the other earned us £1m.

You get players need to play senior football with senior players, folk who can talk them through the game and motivate them after any mistake. Colt teams is a daft idea because you're removing the most vital part of a players development, a mentor. 

yeah agree with that, what I would propose is all teams having a minimum number of homegrown youngsters on the park at any one time not the bench. If all teams were made to do that then it takes away the disadvantage. Will never happen though because Celtic competing in Europe is king on the list of SPFL priorities. 

14 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

We played our own under 20 side against Partick Thistle Colts in the Challenge Cup in front of our lowest crowd for that season. I think that tells you all you need to know.

I've yet to meet any Clyde fan in favour of the proposal either. I honestly do not know why people keep responding to him on this thread.

I think when he says 'Clyde fans' he means 'Celtic fans but they have a soft spot for Clyde as well.' hate when The Glasgow lover fans from Paisley say that about St Mirren. 

22 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

So you wouldn’t think that a league of

Celtic
Rangers B
Aberdeen B
Hibs B
Hearts B
Partick
Dundee
Ross County
Well
Hamilton
St Johnstone
Kilmarnock

Would devalue Celtic winning the competition? You don’t think Celtic fans would stop going? You don’t think it would ruin the league?

You are a liar emoji1.png

Look at the state of that. How the f**k would anyone be able to sell our game to potential sponsors if that us what they are looking at. B teams. We struggle as it is and our leagues are probably the best they been in a long time. 

20 hours ago, A Believer said:

Any chance anyone can come up with a suggestion that will increase the number of u-20's making it into 1st team football, not including dropping u-20 teams into the SPFL. And disbanding structured pro-youth Development; which just can't be an answer.

I posted something several pages back. Long story short I think there should be a league made of regions. Keep the colts as they are but teams within a region supply the best colts players. These regions play in a separate system. The cream of the colts will rise to play in this system whilst still being available for clubs like in development league. The positive is that the best colt players will be playing likely a bit of a higher and tougher level than they currently do and get valuable first team action. The other is you can market it. Scottish football fans are probably more likely to go see "western v eastern" colts because fans aren' watch a club teams colts they would be watching potential stars of the future.

The key to this is marketing. Currently it' poor and I'll though out

I posted something several pages back. Long story short I think there should be a league made of regions. Keep the colts as they are but teams within a region supply the best colts players. These regions play in a separate system. The cream of the colts will rise to play in this system whilst still being available for clubs like in development league. The positive is that the best colt players will be playing likely a bit of a higher and tougher level than they currently do and get valuable first team action. The other is you can market it. Scottish football fans are probably more likely to go see "western v eastern" colts because fans aren' watch a club teams colts they would be watching potential stars of the future.

The key to this is marketing. Currently it' poor and I'll though out

Great idea! Chunking-up to regional level might work. As you say, a few details to sort; like scouting, selection, funding source for running it and paying for coaches/facilities. But if SPFL (or indeed SFA) are looking for reasons to DO something; as opposed to reasons not to (like lots of people in this thread) why not?![emoji106]

It’s not up to anybody on here to come up with proposals. A proposal has been put forward and the fans are criticising it.

How about clubs actually playing them every now and then instead of signing lower league English dross on frees or not wasting 2 million pound on fat Mexicans?

Aw please; why not? Your voice is as valuable as anyone's; why's it not up to you and all fans to offer positive suggestions to grow and develop our game man!

Is this a forum just for negativity? You know it's not. Or is it?

Just now, A Believer said:

Great idea! Chunking-up to regional level might work. As you say, a few details to sort; like scouting, selection, funding source for running it and paying for coaches/facilities. But if SPFL (or indeed SFA) are looking for reasons to DO something; as opposed to reasons not to (like lots of people in this thread) why not?!emoji106.png

I was in work and just repeating what I had said earlier in thread so missed bits out but you get the idea. I think it should be worked on but not affect the pyramid leagues. The money being looked at to give SPFL 2 clubs to back the idea would be better used in setting up an improved colts system I think. 

Aw please; why not? Your voice is as valuable as anyone's; why's it not up to you and all fans to offer positive suggestions to grow and develop our game man!

Is this a forum just for negativity? You know it's not. Or is it?

Because we have other things to be doing it isn’t our job, we’re the consumers of the product. It’s not up to the fans to come up with ideas, if people want to put their opinion forward then they’re welcome too but if others don’t then that’s their choice and a perfectly reasonable stance to take.

People are being presented with an idea and giving their reactions to it as supporters.

It’s not a forum of negativity, it’s just a negative reaction to what is in my opinion a terrible proposal.

Reserve and colt teams in leagues with first teams is fine at the kind of amateur level where it's primarily recreational football for the benefit of the players. Once you get to high-end amateur, semi-pro and professional it's unfair and discourteous to the first teams in the league.

On 20/02/2018 at 16:42, haufdaft said:

You say they initially were against the Colts in the Challenge Cup but changed their minds.

I'm curious why these so called Clyde fans would change their views given that all the positive arguments (crowds, interest, sponsorship) for the colts in that competition turned out to be wrong.

Curiouser and curiouser.

I can only assume these "Clyde fans" sit in the row in front of you at Celtic Park.

The welsh and the N Irish became more of a threat than the colt teams,the fact that the proposal is only pilot scheme and the dearth of young talent in Scotland needs to be addressed between the ages 17-21.When you see the Scotland under 17's beat Spain under 17's 2-1 it gives a bit of hope,thinking at that age we are decent but when we get to 17-21 it falls apart WHY?

The welsh and the N Irish became more of a threat than the colt teams,the fact that the proposal is only pilot scheme and the dearth of young talent in Scotland needs to be addressed between the ages 17-21.When you see the Scotland under 17's beat Spain under 17's 2-1 it gives a bit of hope,thinking at that age we are decent but when we get to 17-21 it falls apart WHY?

Obviously because we don't have B teams playing against plumbers and joiners.

Take a break, son.

Promising youngsters not getting to play in the first team, where they could gain invaluable experience playing along side seasoned pros who can help them develop and help protect them on the pitch?

Also, possibly a cultural thing but too many players pissing it away or eating monster munches rather than focusing on their own development. This one is as hard to change, if not harder, than the reason above.

22 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

They didn't become more of a threat I'd say, the Colts were never more of a threat than those teams. 

Something does have to be done to sort out the 17-21 year old problem but we need to end up with better players than we already have, not just more of the same or worse. Playing a 20 year old against part-time footballers that train twice a week will not make better Scottish players. That's very clear. 

Clubs should be doing more to develop these players and rules should be introduced to support these players. Every club in Scotland forced to start two/three home grown players under the age of 21 and an additional three/ five allowed to be over that age would be my pick. 

15 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

They didn't become more of a threat I'd say, the Colts were never more of a threat than those teams. 

Something does have to be done to sort out the 17-21 year old problem but we need to end up with better players than we already have, not just more of the same or worse. Playing a 20 year old against part-time footballers that train twice a week will not make better Scottish players. That's very clear. 

Clubs should be doing more to develop these players and rules should be introduced to support these players. Every club in Scotland forced to start two/three home grown players under the age of 21 and an additional three/ five allowed to be over that age would be my pick. 

I have said in the challenge cup threads I like the inclusion of Welsh and Irish teams. They are good enough against our part timers and have proved a match against a few championship clubs my own included. But I think they add to the challenge cup. It was fantastic reading on TNS v Dumbarton thread and a close tight match with a great away night for the Sons fans. Colts just don't deliver on that.  

11 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

I have said in the challenge cup threads I like the inclusion of Welsh and Irish teams. They are good enough against our part timers and have proved a match against a few championship clubs my own included. But I think they add to the challenge cup. It was fantastic reading on TNS v Dumbarton thread and a close tight match with a great away night for the Sons fans. Colts just don't deliver on that.  

For the Welsh and Irish teams, it's competitive football. For the colts, it's training. Plus, as that TNS/Dumbarton game showed, people are actually interested in games like that. While absolutely nobody wants to show the colts, despite having the option to, because nobody wants to watch them.

What about a single colts side made up of the elite of Scottish colts that play, train and are based in a country that is accepting (or at least has them in there leagues) of colt teams. Take Spain as an example. Could we as a country create a squad of the elite colts in the country and join at the bottom of the Spanish leagues. Play, train and stay in the country, supported by the SFA. These players learn a great brand of football, are likely to play better players than what's on offer in Scotland and they would actually gain valuable experience both in football and culture. And Colts aren't in our league system. They would be improving and our football is protected.

(Is this even possible I have no idea)

I hate the idea of Colt teams, and just a move to pander to the knuckle dragging arm chair supporters around Scotland.

Levenmouth is full of Old Firm ‘fans’, you know the type, swanning around draped in their bigot attire who have never been to either Celtic Park or Ibrox but still claim to be the biggest supporters out there. Those guys/girls would then turn up at Bayview twice a season instead of actually supporting their local team throughout the season.

I no longer live in Scotland but still listen to podcasts(some are very bad), and follow the news and of course East Fife. I heard Hugh Keevins say something along the lines of ‘no one cares about the lower league clubs so the Colts would benefit everyone’. Patronising dinosaur! If people supported their local clubs then Scottish football would be in a much stronger position.