Old Firm Colts in L2

9 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The league 2 teams would still need to win these games for their own position in the league?

And that's why this is such a shit idea.

Every other team is trying to win games, that's not the reason for the youth teams existence, they are there to improve the players first and foremost, results are secondary.

They can't get promoted or relegated so there is no pressure on them to compete 100%.  The coaching staff are more interested to see how a particular player does against a certain individual than how the team performs as a whole.  If that's not the case, the whole thing should be scrapped anyway.

24 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

I think you could say free entry or half price or pay a quid anything and crowds would still slump. With the reaction on here alone people would stop going to any game purely out of principle of colts in the league. Even if clubs combat that with reduced prices overall clubs would still not match up to current records.

I would say last nights crowd was about 100-130 mostly family members,some fans from each club,talking to a gala fan he stays in glenrothes bit weird,people go to games for all different reasons.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

The league 2 teams would still need to win these games for their own position in the league?

Yeah so you’d admit the other team wouldn’t be interested in winning? Well that is the point, would be very boring wouldn’t it.

Bunch of kids looking for a tough training session.

How would you feel if Barcelona put their B teams into European games against you? Didn’t matter if they’d won or not they were just wanting a ‘test’ to improve their young players?

11 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

And that's why this is such a shit idea.

Every other team is trying to win games, that's not the reason for the youth teams existence, they are there to improve the players first and foremost, results are secondary.

They can't get promoted or relegated so there is no pressure on them to compete 100%.  The coaching staff are more interested to see how a particular player does against a certain individual than how the team performs as a whole.  If that's not the case, the whole thing should be scrapped anyway.

I don't see the colts not wanting to win any less or more than the league 2 teams,even if you are playing a five-a-side game you want to win it's the nature of animal instincts. 

Edited by wastecoatwilly

I don't see the colts not wanting to win any less or more than the league 2 teams,even if you are playing a five-a-side game you want to win it's the nature of animal instincts. 
And missing the point completely of what youth development entails.

The players may want to win but the coaches want to develop the players.
That might mean dropping some of the best players so others can get game time, it might mean changing formation to see how the players adapt, moving players into uncomfortable positions, making sure all 3 subs are used irrespective of the disruption to the side.

"I'm bored with colts now; I paid £6 to see a football match. How much do you diddies pay to watch football? I reckon you should all slash your prices and do family tickets and shit. Bet that's never been tried before, or discussed repeatedly on your diddy forums ad nauseum. You're welcome."

Shot-To-The-Head-Blam-Reaction-Gif-In-Sc

4 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

And missing the point completely of what youth development entails.

The players may want to win but the coaches want to develop the players.
That might mean dropping some of the best players so others can get game time, it might mean changing formation to see how the players adapt, moving players into uncomfortable positions, making sure all 3 subs are used irrespective of the disruption to the side.

This happens in every game across Scotland,there is no difference.

This happens in every game across Scotland,there is no difference.
It really doesn't. Proper teams are there to try to win games, player development is what training and the youth leagues are for. Youth teams is the other way round or it should be.

There is a huge difference. My laddie was in one of the big team youth set ups, now plays for the local side, the difference in the 90 minutes is day and night.

21 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

It really doesn't. Proper teams are there to try to win games, player development is what training and the youth leagues are for. Youth teams is the other way round or it should be.

There is a huge difference. My laddie was in one of the big team youth set ups, now plays for the local side, the difference in the 90 minutes is day and night.

Are you really really saying that colt teams want to win less than league 2 teams?If so you know nothing about the game

Are you really really saying that colt teams want to win less than league 2 teams?If so you know nothing about the game
That's not what I said at all.

I clearly stated that the role of the youth coach is player development before results and it is those very same coaches who choose what set up, team selection, tactics and substitutions are done in any game.......you know, to help player development rather than a win at all costs mentality which the proper teams should have.

An example...if the score is 1-0 to the youth team in the final seconds of the match and the opposition is clean through, does the youth development coach want his defender to wipe him out and miss games or let the guy through on goal.
If it was a proper team's coach?

If it's the same answer to both, one of those coaches needs sacked.

So, the conversion of u-20's to 1st team, in the current SPFL youth development model, is way less than 10%, what would be ideal state model to improve developing young players in Scotland? Please don't start your answer with 'not'...

Way less than 10% of u-20s sounds about right. Most players now are playing well into their 30's so only one or two per team out of 25 or so that are dropping off the market at any given season that need replaced.

That's 3-7% of up and coming spaces available.

Shooting those over 28 would probably push the figure over the 10% mark.

On 17/02/2018 at 13:25, Loonytoons said:

I clearly stated that the role of the youth coach is player development before results and it is those very same coaches who choose what set up, team selection, tactics and substitutions are done in any game.......you know, to help player development rather than a win at all costs mentality which the proper teams should have.

An example...if the score is 1-0 to the youth team in the final seconds of the match and the opposition is clean through, does the youth development coach want his defender to wipe him out and miss games or let the guy through on goal.

From players to coaches winning breeds confidence to competitive nature brings better individual ability. 

On 17/02/2018 at 13:25, Loonytoons said:

Would a colt player throw his body on the line to make a block? Would he commit to a 50/50 challenge against a senior player? Would a colt player work hard for his team mates to track back a player or get back in position as quickly as possible? Maybe, maybe not. I don't want to find out. 

Would a colt player throw his body on the line to make a block? Would he commit to a 50/50 challenge against a senior player? Would a colt player work hard for his team mates to track back a player or get back in position as quickly as possible? Maybe, maybe not. I don't want to find out. 

Whether you are for or against inclusion of u-20's teams, you should at least try your best not to pass comment about something you clearly know f-all about. Of course 20's players tick the yes-box of all of your ridiculous analogies; as much if not more than some 1st team 'pro's' in my experience.
I'm not for or against; but the poor conversion rate of 20's to 1st team means something must change.