Old Firm Colts in L2

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Celtic are at the top of the food chain in Scotland,any player in Scotland that shows a bit of promise Celtic will have a look at him.

..and if his name is Andy Roberston they'll tell him he's too wee and boot him out club. You can't find a better example really of a young Scottish player succeeding in the game through his own hard work and dedication, plus a willingness to start again at the bottom so he could make it to the very top. The pleasing thing is it had nothing to do with the Old Firm or any cunting Colt team. 

51 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

I agree with this, development league is just another name for reserve league. 'Bring back reserves' is a bit of a hollow statement tbh.

Don't agree with that personally, but can see both sides so respect that viewpoint. Whatever the method, my original theme remains. How do you get bums off bloated Ist XI benches and get talented 21-23 year olds the game time they need by playing in a reasonably competitive environment on Saturday afternoons if not in reserve games? We both know and agree it ain't by putting Colt teams in L2, so how does our game move forward and resolve that issue?

28 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

I know Celtic are but you continually don't answer the question about why fans should further support Celtic and Rangers in pushing their agenda to the detriment of their league and their fans. It's a stonewall fact that majority of fans are against this so why should they do it? Why should they not be telling these clubs to use the vast resources they've got above other clubs and do their own youth development?

With or without this proposal Celtic will remain at the top of Scottish football,there is a thousand reasons why fans are against this proposal and it has nothing to do with young kids developing in the Scottish game,there is fans all around the country that hate Celtic and everything they do why? Ex Celtic youth players play in all the leagues in Scotland,the national team has more Celtic players in it than any other club,to say Celtic are pushing an agenda what fecking agenda?

With or without this proposal Celtic will remain at the top of Scottish football,there is a thousand reasons why fans are against this proposal and it has nothing to do with young kids developing in the Scottish game,there is fans all around the country that hate Celtic and everything they do why?Ex Celtic youth players play in all the leagues in Scotland,the national team has more Celtic players in it than any other club,to say Celtic are pushing an agenda what fecking agenda?

Are you actually asking why people don’t like Celtic?

Like, really?

there is fans all around the country that hate Celtic and everything they do why?

Everyone hates Celtic because your support are deluded idiots, bit like you're coming across on this thread. Also, Celtic seem to think everyone owe them a favour and we should bow down to them. A horrible, horrible club.

11 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

..and if his name is Andy Roberston they'll tell him he's too wee and boot him out club. You can't find a better example really of a young Scottish player succeeding in the game through his own hard work and dedication, plus a willingness to start again at the bottom so he could make it to the very top. The pleasing thing is it had nothing to do with the Old Firm or any cunting Colt team. 

What are you looking for 100% success rate?I've got no problem with players making it in the game and hopefully becoming  one of the players that help Scotland to get to a major tournament,i couldn't care less where he played or plays his football.

17 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

With or without this proposal Celtic will remain at the top of Scottish football,there is a thousand reasons why fans are against this proposal and it has nothing to do with young kids developing in the Scottish game,there is fans all around the country that hate Celtic and everything they do why? Ex Celtic youth players play in all the leagues in Scotland,the national team has more Celtic players in it than any other club,to say Celtic are pushing an agenda what fecking agenda?

Errr...the agenda of getting 'Colt' teams into a set-up where others don't want them....

30 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

Yes we did release him but Queens fans seem quite happy to say they developed Mcgeady yet Robertson was at Celtic for year longer than Mcgeady was at queens park . I appreciate one got poached whilst the other got released but the attributes they gained during this time dont get released as well.  Im not saying we are due any credit at all but you cant say his player development had absolutely nothing to with us, in the same way that we can’t  say Mcgeadys development had nothing to do with Queens park. 

1 hour ago, Bazil85 said:

I agree with this, development league is just another name for reserve league. 'Bring back reserves' is a bit of a hollow statement tbh. 

Something does have to be done in this country, for me neither Colts or rebranding the youth league is the answer. If it was up to me we would re-introduce the three foreigner rule. Give clubs two years to inbed it then by start of 20/21 season all clubs must have a starting 11 made up of at least eight Scottish eligble players. Rule went in 1995 and we last qualified for a tournament in 1998. Might be coincidence but it equally could have played a part. 

Also before anyone says it, it's NOT against empolyment law (no employement law change since 1995 impacts this rule). It does not stop a club signing foreign nationals, they could sign as many as they want, it would simply be a rule about home grown players that exists in many countries and sports. The same rules are in place for international football to stop us filling the national squad with Brazilians. 

I'm not convinced Scottish football has ever had a three-foreigner rule.  And quite rightly so.  The way to get more Scottish players into our teams is to make them better, not just make it easier for them to be picked.

59 minutes ago, The Spider said:

Don't agree with that personally, but can see both sides so respect that viewpoint. Whatever the method, my original theme remains. How do you get bums off bloated Ist XI benches and get talented 21-23 year olds the game time they need by playing in a reasonably competitive environment on Saturday afternoons if not in reserve games? We both know and agree it ain't by putting Colt teams in L2, so how does our game move forward and resolve that issue?

There aren't many bloated first team benches in Scotland.  Even the biggest clubs outside of Celtic and Rangers are running with very small first team squads.

54 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Yes we did release him but Queens fans seem quite happy to say they developed Mcgeady yet Robertson was at Celtic for year longer than Mcgeady was at queens park . I appreciate one got poached whilst the other got released but the attributes they gained during this time dont get released as well.  Im not saying we are due any credit at all but you cant say his player development had absolutely nothing to with us, in the same way that we can’t  say Mcgeadys development had nothing to do with Queens park. 

To be honest, I don't think Queen's should take much credit at all for McGeady. He left us at far too young an age for us to claim we developed him. Celtic got him at just the right age to do that.

My point was we don't need  Colt teams in the lower leagues to help develop decent young Scottish players, there are clubs at our level well capable of doing that. It works because we mix youth with experience. I appreciate Robbo is a stand out case but we gave him a chance in our first team not long after he arrived at our youth set up and he took it.  If this is all about player development then the loan system works just fine

On 29/01/2018 at 14:24, gannonball said:

I take your point about Watt but we had Mcgeady since he was 14 ffs, and took him from an 'amateur' club. We developed him.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

we can’t  say Mcgeadys development had nothing to do with Queens park. 

I'm confused Gannonball. First you say that Celtic developed McGeady (and he was 15 not 14), but now you say Queen's Park (the derogatory amateur club from your first statement) in fact had something to with it after all. Which is it you snivelling weasel?

11 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

:lol: Tad harsh

Perhaps Michael, but I would maintain that anyone who presents one side of an argument to try to win a dispute, and then days later adopts a contrary position in an attempt to win a different dispute is either Maggie Thatcher re-incarnate, posting from an institution, or worthy of that description. Should it be established that Gannonball falls into either of the first two categories, then I shall of course profusely and humbly apologise.