Old Firm Colts in L2

9 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Suppose the OF Colts do go into League 2. What happens if Rangers are liquidated again and have to start from there, again? Are they allowed to play two teams in the same division?

No, the new version will go back in to the top division, like they tried the last time.

3 hours ago, gogsy said:

Ah ok, thats disappointing. I thought there was rule stating reserve/colt sides couldn't go above a certain level.

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

As I said, not 100%. HJ will know the rules.

There are currently rules preventing 'B' teams moving from the bottom level of the pyramid (tier 6 EOSL/SOSL) into tier 5 (LL).

Stirling Uni has such a team in EOSL which is a bit of a historical quirk from when LL began... Annan and Stranraer put such teams into SOSL this season. It's not really the same thing though... as well as being ineligible for promotion, it's the bottom level; both leagues have vacancies, so they aren't keeping anyone else down or out; they use their main stadiums or in Stirling Uni's case actually have their very own ground; and they are basically using young local amateur players - not full-time professionals recruited from across the globe. Even then it's far from universally popular.

However this wouldn't stop SPFL voting to alter its own rules in various ways and adding OF 'B' teams to SPFL2 (or above). That said it would require 11-1, 17-22 and 32-10 majority votes of Premiership, Premiership+Championship and all SPFL clubs.

Of course it would not only be a giant slap-in-the-face for clubs and fans in the lower SPFL levels, forced to compete with glorified but extravagantly resourced youth teams; it would also be a giant slap-in-the-face for clubs and fans in the pyramid, who are investing in licensing and striving for promotion.

On the basis not only of anecdote, fans forums and social media, but also various polls going back many years - the idea seems to be almost universally abhorred by fans outwith the big clubs.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Bit in the Sunday Mail about setting up a two year trial for next year. Just the OF Colt teams, no promotion or relegation during the trial period. Bit about playing all away games and yet having to have a "home" ground that's compliant, so very much still spitballing ideas. The purchase of 250 tickets got a mention as well.

7/10 League Two clubs apparently accepting of the idea.

14 hours ago, GordonD said:

Suppose the OF Colts do go into League 2. What happens if Rangers are liquidated again and have to start from there, again? Are they allowed to play two teams in the same division?

Wouldn't their reserve team be liquidated with them?

Be nice to know which of the L2 clubs are supporting this idea. Selling out the very reason for their existence for an extra 100 or so away fan tickets being sold.

I can’t urge the fans of clubs in favour of this to be loud enough in their opposition. Make sure your club knows your views.

Imagine finishing above these two hugely funded youth teams, only to face the relegation playoffs. Imagine winning a title by finishing third. This cannot be allowed to happen.

There's a lot of talk on the pyramid restructure in the juniors forum. Essentially the juniors will have tack on below the LL if they want to take part. This would mean some "big" clubs capable of playing at a higher level playing lower down the pyramid. Fair enough, you can't just turn up and decide which division you'll play in, it's the rules. Except when they are ignored or changed to suit the agendas of certain clubs higher up.

It puts me off integration with the pyramid, who would want to be part of the SPFL, when it is clear the set up is for the benefit of very few.

Ross County won last year's SPFL Development League and are part of a great Highland academy. Hamilton Accies were second. I presume those are the two under consideration to add to L2. No?

Celtic were third and Rangers were sixth, but they're not even in it this year, resigning to fanny about playing big foreign clubs. A real commitment to Scottish youth football, there.

Celtic and Rangers Development League and Scottish Youth Cup matches are generally played behind closed doors, with tickets limited to friends and family, such is the inherent scummery of their supporters. What kind of a country has to have its youth cup final played in an empty stadium because of a history of violence?

This is a shite idea on every level and any L2 club that votes for this should be boycotted.

Bit in the Sunday Mail about setting up a two year trial for next year. Just the OF Colt teams, no promotion or relegation during the trial period. Bit about playing all away games and yet having to have a "home" ground that's compliant, so very much still spitballing ideas. The purchase of 250 tickets got a mention as well.
7/10 League Two clubs apparently accepting of the idea.
Edinburgh City, Clyde, Montrose and Cowdenbeath all accepting of idea according to one paper today.
Of the 6 other clubs - wonder which 3 are the good guys 
I think Berwick have openly stated they'd be against it in the past, but I wonder if that still stands. We're massively overreliant on cup runs to generate revenue and have recorded two consecutive annual losses totalling around 150k I believe.

I dont know the state of other clubs finances but when things are as unsustainable as that financially, I wouldn't be massively surprised if we performed a U turn based on the business case of the ticket suggestion above - and if other clubs of a similar stature are in similar positions, you can probably forgive their boards for jumping at an extra 20k of 'free money' over a couple of seasons - whether that's so they can continue sitting on their arse or in addition to efforts to diversify the club's revenue streams in the meanwhile.

Personally, I wouldn't be for it. But i'm not as strongly against it as some on here (ie, I wouldn't threaten to stop going back if they were introduced). If it is a 2 year trial, you'd assume the clubs would have the final say after that duration and could make a more informed call then. Of course, there's the complication that a lot of fans are reacting as above, and that by turning those fans off it could damage things financially both short term in negating any positive impact that guaranteed money would have and long term in losing fans who were that pissed off about the situation and their clubs stance years earlier.

17 minutes ago, DavidMcG said:

Edinburgh City, Clyde, Montrose and Cowdenbeath all accepting of idea according to one paper today.

If Clyde accept this I'd be surprised and of course raging; they have always opposed this and earlier this year actually said so on the club members Question / answer forum. 

Hopefully poor journalism at play, but shocking if true from a Clyde perspective.

Every supporter of L2 clubs could be against this, matches could be boycotted 100%, grounds could be burnt down and the media and Regan would still say it was hugely successful and the only way forward for Scottish football. L2 chairmen will take their 30 pieces of silver and mewl quietly.

9 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

If Clyde accept this I'd be surprised and of course raging; they have always opposed this and earlier this year actually said so on the club members Question / answer forum. 

Hopefully poor journalism at play, but shocking if true from a Clyde perspective.

They not only support it, I understand they have been one of the teams pushing others in the league to accept it.

Hopefully Accies ask about getting a Colts team in, should not just be the Old Firm, be nice for our kids to finish above most of the dross in this league.

32 minutes ago, DavidMcG said:

I would be most interested to find out the Clubs backing this plan and I hope the Club I support Stirling Albion are NOT in favour of this idea. 

No way would I go to any of these Colt games should it happen and I`m sure most supporters from other clubs are of the same opinion. 

Stirling Albion are one of the three clubs opposed to this. And rightly so. 

I had no issue with these sides being in the Irn Bru cup, as that's largely an irrelevance anyway, but this is a whole different ball game. I for one will certainly not be attending any of these games. 

I would be most interested to find out the Clubs backing this plan and I hope the Club I support Stirling Albion are NOT in favour of this idea. 
No way would I go to any of these Colt games should it happen and I`m sure most supporters from other clubs are of the same opinion. 

Pretty sure we are against it. If I'm wrong I won't be renewing my season ticket.

Why should those bigots youth teams get to skip ahead of Lowland League clubs? They Lowland League sides will at least bring something to the League.