Old Firm Colts in L2

This has been a done deal for ages. John Robertson was even on the BBC at the beginning of the season talking about his plans for ICT and mentioned preparing to have a Colts team next season.

Malky Mackay when questioned on Radio Scotland claimed that only Rangers and Celtic would likely take up a Colts team due to the costs involved. I think he's wrong in that as the costs will not differ much from running their existing Under 20s. Actually there will likely be greater financial reward compared to the Development League.

I've been amazed at how much the mainstream media have ignored opposition to Colts teams over the last year. They keep describing the Irn Bru Cup as a massive success when supporters have voted with their feet and the Colts teams dumped out in the early rounds. 

Hopefully TNS or Crusaders win this year's Irn Bru Cup and the sight of the prize money disappearing out of Scottish football might wake some people up to the nonsense of that competition.

Edited by Fat Sally

1 hour ago, Glenconner said:

What about Cumbernauld Colts?

They beat my team last weekend, so they can get in the sea too ;)

ICT planning a colt entry might *might* actually stop this from happening. The last thing the SPFL want is a team from the Highlands with no fans spoiling their grand Old Firm-fest. They can't deny them entry but allow the OF teams in though.

Just imagine the attendance at Berwick Rangers v Inverness U20s.

Too many ifs and buts about this ill thought out nutty idea from G42. Weegieland.

Just say it does go through and one of the Old Firm Colts was playing at  a current SL2 club. Guarantee that the closet Old Firm fans  who might normally might go along and support their local HFL/Lowland League/Junior teams(assumption is that they do NOT go and watch one of the OF teams in reality but they just profess to be a Tic/Ger's fan) would traipse along to the SL2 ground at the  expense of the lower league teams. Worse still, they might not watch lower league teams but will still turn up and cause mayhem at the SL2 ground and sing and shout their usual  sectarian bile and increased security would be a necessity if that lot turned up.

I have however, read enough posts to confirm that nearly all SL2 fans are dead against this imposition on our League. We were promised at the time of reconstruction that promotion would be on merit not some "funny handshake"arrangement between the SPFL and the Old Firm.

Like many I will not be going to games which I normally do and I sincerely hope that the boards' of clubs think long before they sell their sole to false promises(again) as were shafted on false promises at reconstruction.

Edited by Elgin Street Badger

Hope the clubs tell them to ram it. As others have said this is something that could really drive fans away big time. Am I not also right in saying Germany are ditching having ‘colt’ teams in their league or are at least looking at it. Obviously working well for them there...

2 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

The last thing the SPFL want is a team from the Highlands with no fans spoiling their grand Old Firm-fest. They can't deny them entry but allow the OF teams in though.

Oh, they'll give it a damn good try.

2 hours ago, Enigma said:

Hope the clubs tell them to ram it. As others have said this is something that could really drive fans away big time. Am I not also right in saying Germany are ditching having ‘colt’ teams in their league or are at least looking at it. Obviously working well for them there...

If they go in to a new division ie West of Scotland, league clubs won't get asked.

That David Stoker boy suggested on Twitter the proposal currently going round is a 12 team League 2 for next year with 2 B teams being added. Not sure what criteria they've used to select these two clubs, or why they get to skip the queue at tier 5 and tier 6.

That David Stoker boy suggested on Twitter the proposal currently going round is a 12 team League 2 for next year with 2 B teams being added. Not sure what criteria they've used to select these two clubs, or why they get to skip the queue at tier 5 and tier 6.
It's likely to he a made up criterion like "The senior team must have a stadium capable of holding 40,000 spectators" you'd imagine.

It's likely to he a made up criterion like "The senior team must have a stadium capable of holding 40,000 spectators" you'd imagine.

Presume the criteria is there are only two clubs ready to go ahead in early course and it is up to the SPFL members if they wish to expand the number of clubs as that would not impact on the play off with Tier 5 club

1 hour ago, gogsy said:

Ah ok, thats disappointing. I thought there was rule stating reserve/colt sides couldn't go above a certain level.

As I said, not 100%. HJ will know the rules. Putting them in a new division might be plan b, if they don't in L2. Personally I hope they get in. I've come round to a pyramid, with some reservations still, so I don't want them polluting non league divisions.

As others have said - I will not be going to any game involving colt teams.  I'll be letting the City board know this.

My original post had a link to a Daily Rangers story - it was a year old - my apologies for being a numpty - for both posting an old link, and mostly for looking at their website (I blame Google!)

Edited by Am Muilleach
Stupidity on my part!