Old Firm Colts in L2

There is no way any Colt side should be shoehorned into League 2 or the Lowland League for that matter.

However, if they were placed in the league structure as part of an overall reconstruction incorporating a West LL or West Tier 6 feeder then I wouldn't have any problems with that.

Also, I dont understand how people can get so worked up about the mere suggestion of Colt teams when we already have them in the pyramid!! Namely Stirling Uni, Stranraer and Annan reserve sides.

No one can argue that Premiership colt sides would bring more to that level than these teams!

Edited by edinabear

1 hour ago, edinabear said:

Also, I dont understand how people can get so worked up about the mere suggestion of Colt teams when we already have them in the pyramid!! Namely Stirling Uni, Stranraer and Annan reserve sides.

No one can argue that Premiership colt sides would bring more to that level than these teams!

That's comparing apples 'n pears though, tbf.

Stirling Uni EOS are there as they simply keptup their membership when LL was formed (to much controversy). Subsequent applications - e.g. Selkirk a couple of years ago - were voted down. SOS pair joined this year.

They are playing in the bottom level, which isn't full, cannot be promoted, and are using young amateur players, in what (especially in SOSL) is predominantly a recreational level.

Annan SOS and Stranraer SOS use their first-team stadiums.

Stirling Uni EOS actually have their own distinct ground.

Even then it's clear not all EOSL or SOSL clubs and fans are happy with it.

If the suggestion's that Rangers 'B' and Celtic 'B' would play in SOSL, not occupy wanted places, be ineligible from promotion, use young amateurs and play at Ibrox and Parkhead it'd be a like comparison. That isn't the suggestion.

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 11/7/2017 at 21:53, edinabear said:

On another forum a poster who is heavily involved with Rangers youth is saying that this is very close to being agreed, although he doesn't specify whether it will be League 2, LL or something completely new.

An absolute shambles if what he says is correct. Surely any change to allow Colt teams to be promoted to league 2 would require a majority vote over the leagues? Way the structure is right now two SP clubs could stop this. Hearts and Motherwell the fan owned clubs, please stand up. 

1 hour ago, Bazil85 said:

An absolute shambles if what he says is correct. Surely any change to allow Colt teams to be promoted to league 2 would require a majority vote over the leagues? Way the structure is right now two SP clubs could stop this. Hearts and Motherwell the fan owned clubs, please stand up. 

I'm not certain that this is 100% accurate but it seems that the Old Firm colts may be going into a new feeder league for the West of Scotland. Whether that is Tier 5 or Tier 6, I'm not sure.

Edited by edinabear

4 minutes ago, edinabear said:

I'm not certain that this 100% accurate but it seems that the Old Firm colts may be going into a new feeder league for the West of Scotland. Whether that is Tier 5 or Tier 6, I'm not sure.

I'm sure the process for Colts getting promoted into league structure would have to be changed? Right now a couple of teams have Colts in the West/ East leagues (Stranraer for one) but they can't be promoted. Surely to change that a vote would be required?

If the SFA does this without properly engaging fans it'll be the biggest farce... well since their last one. 

On 05/11/2017 at 17:43, Cowden Cowboy said:

Not aware that such a proposal has been put to SPFL clubs - I also said on here some time ago (to some scoffing) that the only way this would ever fly was if some financial incentive was offered to lower league clubs. The pay for 300 is an interesting idea but doubt if that is enough to tempt the relevant clubs to go for this.

I remember you saying this. No one scoffed that it was possible clubs could be swayed by people waving cash in their faces. They were scoffing at you for thinking this was acceptable.

Selling your soul for a few grand is something I'd only expect of uber diddies.

I remember you saying this. No one scoffed that it was possible clubs could be swayed by people waving cash in their faces. They were scoffing at you for thinking this was acceptable.
Selling your soul for a few grand is something I'd only expect of uber diddies.

They weren't as I never said I thought it was acceptable or not - I guess you are using poetic licence

They weren't as I never said I thought it was acceptable or not - I guess you are using poetic licence

He remembers the statement you made,
That some teams just might be swayed,
But taking a wad in the face is a complete disgrace,
So that makes you a Diddie, well played.

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 17:06, edinabear said:

I'm not certain that this is 100% accurate but it seems that the Old Firm colts may be going into a new feeder league for the West of Scotland. Whether that is Tier 5 or Tier 6, I'm not sure.

do you have anything to back this up, reference feeder league for West of Scotland? 

1 hour ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

do you have anything to back this up, reference feeder league for West of Scotland? 

A poster on another forum who is involved with Rangers youth hinted at it, although like I said it wasn't definite and on the flip side could be tosh.

Just now, edinabear said:

A poster on another forum who is involved with Rangers youth hinted at it, although like I said it wasn't definite and on the flip side could be tosh.

Yeah seen that in the previous comment. I was just wondering if an actual West of Scotland league (that sits equal with East and South of Scotland leagues) was in the official pipeline, as opposed to the speculative one,  and what teams would make up such a league. 

51 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Yeah seen that in the previous comment. I was just wondering if an actual West of Scotland league (that sits equal with East and South of Scotland leagues) was in the official pipeline, as opposed to the speculative one,  and what teams would make up such a league. 

I could only speculate that it would be Rangers Reserves, Celtic Reserves, perhaps Glasgow Uni (due to their licence) and the rest would be open to applications and the obvious route is from the West Superleague 

In theory that leaves potentially 13 spaces so the whole of the West Superleague could move on mass plus 1 other to this new league. 

27 minutes ago, edinabear said:

I could only speculate that it would be Rangers Reserves, Celtic Reserves, perhaps Glasgow Uni (due to their licence) and the rest would be open to applications and the obvious route is from the West Superleague 

In theory that leaves potentially 13 spaces so the whole of the West Superleague could move on mass plus 1 other to this new league. 

Would any of the Amateurs move across as well perhaps? as you say its all speculation and until something is officially released that's all it will be. Still though many people on this site alone have called out for a West league to match East and South. Maybe, someday, there will be. 

This has been debated to the death in the juniors section. The junior clubs you would expect to be taking the places in a so called west of scotland spfl league, are by all accounts not interested due to licencing requirements.

10 hours ago, foreverarover said:

This has been debated to the death in the juniors section. The junior clubs you would expect to be taking the places in a so called west of scotland spfl league, are by all accounts not interested due to licencing requirements.

Assuming that this West of Scotland League is at tier 6, on a par with East of Scotland and South of Scotland, then licensing is not an immediate requirement.  Its only if a side wants to be promoted to the Lowland League.

57 minutes ago, edinabear said:

Assuming that this West of Scotland League is at tier 6, on a par with East of Scotland and South of Scotland, then licensing is not an immediate requirement.  Its only if a side wants to be promoted to the Lowland League.

Would any of us be happy with this? I don't want the Old Firm Colts in our league structure in any way shape or form, if this gives them a path for promotion into the league structure then I hope clubs knock it back.

In saying that, even if it doesn't allow for them to get promoted I still wouldn't want it. Isn't fair on clubs at that level and youth players playing at that level will be very unlikely to develop into the kind of quality player needed. I also don't think 16-20 year olds playing in League 1/2 are very likely to end up at a level good enough to get us to a majort tournament. 

22 hours ago, Bazil85 said:

Would any of us be happy with this? I don't want the Old Firm Colts in our league structure in any way shape or form, if this gives them a path for promotion into the league structure then I hope clubs knock it back.

In saying that, even if it doesn't allow for them to get promoted I still wouldn't want it. Isn't fair on clubs at that level and youth players playing at that level will be very unlikely to develop into the kind of quality player needed. I also don't think 16-20 year olds playing in League 1/2 are very likely to end up at a level good enough to get us to a majort tournament. 

SPFL clubs don't get a say in who gets admitted to the Lowland/Highland Leagues or the feeder leagues below them so would not be able to knock it back.

The pyramid system has made it possible that Colt teams can be added into these lower leagues and work their way up into the SPFL without any say from the clubs currently residing there.

It's a stitch up and it's going to happen and it's probably going to happen next season. John Robertson is already quoted as saying he is planning for a Colts team with Caley Thistle next season.