Old Firm Colts in L2

Because some of us don't share your naive optimism in the lofty, altruistic, long-term, indifferent-to-a-few-quick-grand view that Scottish lower league chairmen have been notorious for through the decades.

I am campaigning against it, I hope you are right, but the runes don't read very well at present.

There's already 4 clubs that are definitely against it, two being championship clubs, were well set to get 11 so less of your negative shite please.

Remember, these guys on the boards at most of our clubs are as passionate about our clubs as we are.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

There's already 4 clubs that are definitely against it, two being championship clubs, were well set to get 11 so less of your negative shite please.

Remember, these guys on the boards at most of our clubs are as passionate about our clubs as we are.

f**k up

I definitely think it's worth remembering that the SPFL have previous for attempting to bully clubs into doing things they want. Of course it would go to a vote, but it'll be far from as simple as 'do you want this to happen, or do you want things to stay exactly as they are?'. It'll be something more like 'do you want this to happen, or do you want us to take away a large portion of funding from a different pot so you'll be a lot worse off?' A lot of pressure will be put on clubs, especially the smaller clubs, to go with proposed charges or face the consequences.

Basically either way us diddies are in a tight spot here. Have our leagues hugely devalued or have our clubs budgets slashed due to things like prize money halved overnight. Obviously I'd prefer the latter, as I'm sure the vast majority of us would, but it's hard being a chairman and being backed into a corner when you're already struggling to make ends meet year in year out.

I definitely think it's worth remembering that the SPFL have previous for attempting to bully clubs into doing things they want. Of course it would go to a vote, but it'll be far from as simple as 'do you want this to happen, or do you want things to stay exactly as they are?'. It'll be something more like 'do you want this to happen, or do you want us to take away a large portion of funding from a different pot so you'll be a lot worse off?' A lot of pressure will be put on clubs, especially the smaller clubs, to go with proposed charges or face the consequences.
Basically either way us diddies are in a tight spot here. Have our leagues hugely devalued or have our clubs budgets slashed due to things like prize money halved overnight. Obviously I'd prefer the latter, as I'm sure the vast majority of us would, but it's hard being a chairman and being backed into a corner when you're already struggling to make ends meet year in year out.

Calm down - tight spot! So League One or Two clubs are likely not to vote for this but to vote to have their prize money halved overnight?

Does seem awful dramatic. No threats were made when a bigger issue like new Rangers re entering the league was voted on was it? I don't for one second believe that that would happen, even saying that would create irreparable damage to the SPFL.

5 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

They've tried, and failed, to use bullying and scare mongering numerous times. There's no real drawbacks to saying no to this, and there's one major drawback to saying yes. The top dogs of football in this country have already shown themselves to be utter shitebags with their threats and scaremongering. Absolutely nobody is buying it.

I genuinely don't see this coming even close to the number of teams they'd need to pass it through.

8 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

You give club chairman too much credit. They are all driven by self interest. The main reason Rangers didn't start in the 2nd tier was the fact that tier 3 and 4 would miss out financially from having them, so the real diddies scuppered plans to give them a softer landing. Don't look for honour or principles in a club boardroom, there is none.

On 2017-6-20 at 17:01, Bazil85 said:

My point is we haven't qualified for a major trophy in 20 years

This seems to get banded about as if its important.  Maybe it is for Scotland, the point of our clubs though is not to service a national football team.  

8 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Does seem awful dramatic. No threats were made when a bigger issue like new Rangers re entering the league was voted on was it? I don't for one second believe that that would happen, even saying that would create irreparable damage to the SPFL.

Depends on what Les Gray and the guy at Falkirk think.  They are daft for talk of a breakaway league etc if not getting their own way. 

9 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Calm down - tight spot! So League One or Two clubs are likely not to vote for this but to vote to have their prize money halved overnight?

The SPFL can, and probably will, threaten the clubs and put them in a corner where they believe they have to choose between the two options.

4 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

They've tried, and failed, to use bullying and scare mongering numerous times. There's no real drawbacks to saying no to this, and there's one major drawback to saying yes. The top dogs of football in this country have already shown themselves to be utter shitebags with their threats and scaremongering. Absolutely nobody is buying it.

I genuinely don't see this coming even close to the number of teams they'd need to pass it through.

I agree that I don't think it'll happen, I'm just saying it's extremely naive of people to think this will just be put to a nice, fair vote without the SPFL trying to threaten/ bully the clubs in some way. When you say there are no real drawbacks to saying no to this, how do you know that? Nothing concrete has been put on the table yet, and as I said I expect when it is clubs are put in a position where voting against the proposal will be detrimental financially to them in one way or another.

I agree that I don't think it'll happen, I'm just saying it's extremely naive of people to think this will just be put to a nice, fair vote without the SPFL trying to threaten/ bully the clubs in some way. When you say there are no real drawbacks to saying no to this, how do you know that? Nothing concrete has been put on the table yet, and as I said I expect when it is clubs are put in a position where voting against the proposal will be detrimental financially to them in one way or another.

As I said a year ago re thus the only way to get it through would be by a sweetener - bullying doesn't win votes. The interesting point surely is that SpFL clubs if asked to vote on proposal say no - I assume that Lowland League could maybe have their own vote to admit at that level only) albeit not familiar with their rules) - they couldn't though get promotion via the play off

45 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

As I said a year ago re thus the only way to get it through would be by a sweetener - bullying doesn't win votes. The interesting point surely is that SpFL clubs if asked to vote on proposal say no - I assume that Lowland League could maybe have their own vote to admit at that level only) albeit not familiar with their rules) - they couldn't though get promotion via the play off

That's a very good point - the current voting structure only encompasses Premiership, Championship, League 1 and League 2 as far as I'm aware, despite the Lowland League being part of the SPFL structure. Lowland League crowds at the majority of clubs are double figures as opposed to treble figures I believe, and they may be swayed by potentially more funding from the SPFL and the surposed higher crowds they may get. Clubs that don't have much of a core support have little to lose (well, apart from their dignity) and they could be swayed on this.

After the dreadful, mewling post on the Official Stenhousemuir website which initially supported parachuting The Rangers into the Championship, i eagerly anticipate our position on this. I'd love to think changes at board level mean we'd tell them to GTF but I have my doubts

No doubt Stenny will support this because they are the absolute worst.