Old Firm Colts in L2

Good players get given a chance.

You don't go trawling the back of beyond if a good youngster is on your doorstep.
But if there's a better player available elsewhere then managers are going to sign and play them.

Youngsters don't get game time if there's a better player ahead of them, we don't stop clubs playing those guys , we need to produce better youngsters so clubs don't have to look elsewhere

Thing that annoys me the most is the fact that both clubs will sign foreign players for fun yet still want this. Thatll be the young lad Bates and the other young Scottish centre half they played in the last few games pushed to the side now for a 75 year old Portuguese centre half and his Portuguese pal.

What they did in the French league in the 90s when they failed to qualify for a World Cup was limit the amount of over 21s in their first team squad to 18. That meant later in the season when suspensions and injuries kicked in they were forced to play their under 21 players.

Something I think Gordon Smith tried to implement here when he was at the sfa but guess who was against it? Yip the bigot brothers.

What they did in the French league in the 90s when they failed to qualify for a World Cup was limit the amount of over 21s in their first team squad to 18. That meant later in the season when suspensions and injuries kicked in they were forced to play their under 21 players.

Something I think Gordon Smith tried to implement here when he was at the sfa but guess who was against it? Yip the bigot brothers.

It's a good idea.

The old firm objected? It seems they want to pass the inconvenience of youth development on to the lower leagues without taking any responsibility themselves.

Totally against it myself for a lot of reasons previously posted. Another angle I look at which is an aside to the player is the coaching and managers. What the Diddy clubs in the lower leagues are very good at is giving young managers a chance and players coming into coaching. One thing the bigger clubs with their colt teams won't do is take a chance on a new coach or give a chance to a young manager. You would think they will generally keep the same youth coaches that you could argue have been failing to progress them from u20s to 1st team.

The next time that either of the Old Firm do anything for the general betterment of the game rather than for their own interests, it'll be the first time.  GTF.

More generally, you'll all remember when teams had to play youngsters in games....and they ended up flinging them on for the last minute of a match.  The idea was scrapped rather than make it work the way it was meant to.  That's how Scottish football is run.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

It's a good idea.

The old firm objected? It seems they want to pass the inconvenience of youth development on to the lower leagues without taking any responsibility themselves.

Deep down the old firm don't really care about youth they will always rather buy the finished player.

They argued that this idea would disadvantage them in Europe. Gordon Smith said that teams in Europe could maybe have an extra 3 over 21 players but they still didn't agree.

Clubs need to do more to develop young Scottish players. Not just the old firm to blame for filling our game with mediocre foreign journeymen. Ross County an example of a club that fills it ranks with unheard of, foreign diddies, most of whom get jettisoned before the seasons end. Even the policy of trawling the English conference etc adopted by Motherwell and ICT to name 2. Surely there must be better homegrown talent that could be given a chance.

Completely agree, hence why I think the 8 Scottish player rule should return. Not like it'll impact OF or anyone else. They're so far off the pace in Europe it'll make no difference and they'll still get back to the coin toss for league champion in a few years.

Also agree with the comments about youth. Ideal situation for me would be the starting 11 has to have minimum 8 players eligible to play for Scotland in it and of those players 3 have to be U21s. If it's implemented for all clubs in Scotland no one will be disadvantaged. As for the OF as I've already said it'll make little difference as they're only ever in Europe to make up the numbers and get a pay day.

It won't happen because of the 11-1 rule or as it's been called the old firm veto. For the life of me I don't know why they didn't vote to change that when the old Rangers died. It should be a 8-4 or a 9-3. 11-1 to change anything is a scandal.

It's getting to the point where the only way things will change is if all clubs resign and leave the poison SFA, SPFL, Old Firm regime and form a breakaway fair league with fair voting and a governing body that is democratically voted on by member clubs and fan representation.

There's (seriously) a proposal that China's U-20 side will compete in the German fourth division next season...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/40028701

Compared to that these proposals seem almost normal. I have a horrible feeling that opposition will be registered but these shit plans forced through and 'normalised' in the next decade.

In a world where this kind of Sino-German idea is being mooted seriously (whether it ends up actually happening or not), the complaints of a few fans from small provincial lower league sides won't really be heard, and, should they be, can easily be dismissed as turbulence in a dinosaur's colon.

There's (seriously) a proposal that China's U-20 side will compete in the German fourth division next season...
Compared to that these proposals seem almost normal. I have a horrible feeling that opposition will be registered but these shit plans forced through and 'normalised' in the next decade.
In a world where this kind of Sino-German idea is being mooted seriously (whether it ends up actually happening or not), the complaints of a few fans from small provincial lower league sides won't really be heard, and, should they be, can easily be dismissed as turbulence in a dinosaur's colon.

Nothing can be forced through.

6 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

We already have a French team in our pyramid and other national entrants in the Mickey Mouse Cup.

No one has yet noticed the French team other than us obsessives, nor really has paid attention to the stiff challenge undoubtedly posed by Bala Town in the diddiest of the diddy cups.

The first straws in the wind of the "normalisation" process I was talking about earlier. Amazing that the second stage has come around quite so soon.

14 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

No. It needs to pass a vote. 32/42 clubs need to be in favour.

Why do people keep saying this?

Because some of us don't share your naive optimism in the lofty, altruistic, long-term, indifferent-to-a-few-quick-grand view that Scottish lower league chairmen have been notorious for through the decades.

I am campaigning against it, I hope you are right, but the runes don't read very well at present.