January Transfer Window

After a week or two of trialist rumours, it's quietened down a bit..could really do with one or two quality wide players, I've heard the likes of Christie and Pawlett being chucked around so it looks as if Lennon is looking in that position too. We've been unfortunate with injures in the middle, but hopefully mcginn and fyvie will be back soon enough, I don't think we require anyone in there. Just get a left back in and we are sorted.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Todd is a weird one. He arrived with us under the whole contract stooshie, where he had to join as an amateur and Annan were threatening legal action. That was after he had played for us, yourselves and the Pars pre-season - so I think his agent was obviously keen on getting him a move.

Anyway, we signed him and he was one of the few bright sparks from our horrific league cup campaign. After playing a striker/10 last season we deployed him mainly on the wing or in a deep central midfield position and he was pretty solid if unspectacular  - 6.5/10 most weeks.

Unfortunately not having a settled position seemed to scupper his progress and his performances got more and more 'meh' by the game. He's been on the bench the past couple of weeks, with Sam Stanton's return from fitness meaning that Robert Thomson and Andy Stirling have played on the wings. Then, all of a sudden, last week the Record carried a story saying Motherwell and Dundee United wanted him. Which seemed odd.

Then today the Record says that he's 'quit' Dumbarton, and is interesting Annan. Which seems strange given he effectively shafted them out of compo by joining us for free in the summer - but there you go.

He still lives near Carlisle I think and, given that we were only paying him expenses, I wouldn't be surprised if he needed the money and couldn't justify the commute if he wasn't getting the game time.

The whole thing is very odd.

Annan are the only team he can sign professionally for, though, unless someone else is willing to pay compensation

15 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Annan are the only team he can sign professionally for, though, unless someone else is willing to pay compensation

More to the point, Annan MUST honour the contract offer that has been on the table since the summer or withdraw it which would mean he could sign for anyone else professionally with no compensation. Annan can't turn around and say, "no, forget it" even if they wanted to without waving goodbye to compensation.

33 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

More to the point, Annan MUST honour the contract offer that has been on the table since the summer or withdraw it which would mean he could sign for anyone else professionally with no compensation. Annan can't turn around and say, "no, forget it" even if they wanted to without waving goodbye to compensation.

Of course, I hadnt even thought of that.

That doesnt mean, of course, that they have to play him.

I cant decide if his agent has played a blinder in all this or just pissed clubs off for the sake of it. I guess we'll see when Todd ends up somewhere

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

That doesn't sound right. The contract offer would be effective from the date of expiry of his previous contract. That's clearly already been rejected. What's the logic in requiring them to keep the offer open indefinitely?

37 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

That doesn't sound right. The contract offer would be effective from the date of expiry of his previous contract. That's clearly already been rejected. What's the logic in requiring them to keep the offer open indefinitely?

They can withdraw it whenever they want but if the opportunity isnt there to sign professionally then the claim to compensation lapses too as I understand it. I dont claim to be a lawyer but I have a reasonable handle on how the football contracts and registration system works. As far as I know it needs to remain on the table until he either accepts it, turns 23 or signs professionally elsewhere so triggering a compensation negotiation.

13 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They can withdraw it whenever they want but if the opportunity isnt there to sign professionally then the claim to compensation lapses too as I understand it. I dont claim to be a lawyer but I have a reasonable handle on how the football contracts and registration system works. As far as I know it needs to remain on the table until he either accepts it, turns 23 or signs professionally elsewhere so triggering a compensation negotiation.

I'm not sure whether you've misunderstood or whether that's just badly worded but I'm not suggesting that the club withdraw the contract offer. On the contrary, I'm suggesting that once the offer has been rejected the club don't need to keep making repeated offers in order to retain their right to claim compensation. To be clear, the offer can be rejected either explicitly or by implication. In this case it's clearly been rejected.

The FIFA regulations state as follows:-

If the former club does not offer the player a contract, no training compensation is payable unless the former club can justify that it is entitled to such compensation. The former club must offer the player a contract in writing via registered post at least 60 days before the expiry of his current contract. Such an offer shall furthermore be at least of an equivalent value to the current contract. This provision is without prejudice to the right to training compensation of the player’s previous club(s).

That's a requirement to offer a contract, there is no reference to the length of the contract, or the offer, or any other recurring obligation. Once the contract has been offered then that condition is complied with. I do claim to be a lawyer, tbf.

You may well be right. I don't have time to look into in detail right now. Certainly the SFA regulations give the player 21 days to accept it so presumably the implication is thereafter it doesn't have to remain on the table. My understanding is the extended contract must be at least one year long but that comes from an old SFL rule. It may not be the case for the SPFL which only requires that each contract be at least to the start of the next window so potentially it could only be to 1st January I suppose.

Seems to be a lot of rumours linking Prince Christian of Nade with a return to ourselves. As delighted as I am about this, I'm slightly concerned after how poor how was at Stranraer - still, he seemed to love his time with us and is the type of guy who needs to be enjoying his football to play well.

Can't do any harm I suppose, especially if his wages aren't that high.

12 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Why are Hardie and Walsh on the out list for St.Mirren? Could there loans not be extended?

They could be, but St Mirren have said that they will be returning to Rangers when their loans expire next month.

In other news, Prince Christian was in the Sons' end at Somerset today - so I'm fairly confident he's coming home.

Archived