Queen’s Park break 150 years of amateur tradition and now face HMRC crackdown

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Your citing the SFA but the contract in the press piece is SPFL. If you must spread gossip (it's the Daily Record FFS) try and get some facts correct. Did you read down to the statement from the QP General Manager? Howzabout this for a headline; SPFL mandarins create scandal to scupper amateur team's promotion hopes!

Players come to QP not for the money but to enjoy the Hampden Experience and promote their career. Most of them can read (!) and decide whether or not their 'pay' is appropriate for what they do. Guys like Fraser Wishart need to have a think about the players and what they want. In justifying his own wretched career he's opened a can of worms that could deny young players a future in the game. If he's the players rep he needs to be looking at the players rather than locking horns with authorities. Another self-important p***k trying to prove he's bigger than the game itself.

One things for sure. If this has been a genuine oversight then the club will deal with it with dignity and respect and any issues will be resolved. We really don't do walking away.

Yes, and that was the part where I felt there is a clear possibility of something dodgy here, when they're producing such a weak statement. 'HMRC are fine with it, no one has said anything about it for years but aye, it's definitely okay, nothing to see here.'

Entry to Hampden to watch football costs much the same as other professional clubs. The pies cost much more than other professional clubs.
Where does all the money go?

Why should Queens Park be allowed to pay their players £1 a week?

Why not Sports Direct, Amazon or other unscrupulous employers?

We have employment laws in this country to protect employees rights for a reason.

If you want to be an amateur club then be one otherwise pay your employees the legal minimum.

Queens Park - a Victorian club with Victorian attitudes to workers rights!

From the article...
“I’m more disappointed than anything else. Queen’s Park have prided themselves for more than a century on being the standard bearers and have stood for everything that is good about the game. Something has clearly gone wrong with the ethos of that club.
“Not only have they abandoned their laudable principles but they have only added to the controversy by offering contracts in such a miserly and illegal fashion." James Dorman

He's lost my vote :lol:

9 minutes ago, an86 said:

I'll be honest, I have f**k all idea about what any of this actually means. Ideally, it'll end with our name being cleared and a few episodes of seething. 

That's because you are thick as s***.  The Taxman Cometh.

Just sounds like James Dorman is trying to make a name for himself, be a man of the people,(ITS A BLOODY DISGRACE, SHAME ON QUEENS PARK) but failing massively.

The contracts are there so we can get compensation for players that move on, I don't see any problem with that, players don't come to Queens Park for the money and we have never prevented a player from moving on.

Total non-story. Nice to see all the Clyde fans are still obsessed with us though.

The only thing that's surprising is how long it's taken the authorities to investigate these malpractices. This mob make Bill Hiddleston's Third Lanark look squeaky clean.

Well done to all Clyde fans for fighting the good fight. Justice for the Bully Wee.

The contracts are there so we can get compensation for players that move on, I don't see any problem with that, players don't come to Queens Park for the money and we have never prevented a player from moving on.

It's called "having your cake and eating it"

It is against the law to pay below minimum wage.

What makes Queens Park so special that the law should not apply to them?

Should all employers have the right to claim amateurism but rake in massive profits?

What's next, Queens Park (Jersey ltd)?

36 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

It's called "having your cake and eating it"

It is against the law to pay below minimum wage.

What makes Queens Park so special that the law should not apply to them?

Should all employers have the right to claim amateurism but rake in massive profits?

What's next, Queens Park (Jersey ltd)?

i think you'll find a LLC would be the preferred option for that kind of caper, old fruit. Haufdaft right enough.

Archived