Do you pay your TV licence?

Smurph

Do you pay your TV licence?  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What has the BBC added to Scottish culture other than cultivating a small minded regionalist view. We can't even be trusted to read international news.

There's been loads of good programming through BBC Scotland, TV and radio.

Off the ball for one. And the comedy stuff from chewin the fat to still game.

Plenty of stuff (although I can't think of anything else right now)

3 hours ago, Father Ted said:

I do pay it but grudge it.

Wimbledon and The Open are just BBC jollies, it's ridiculous the amount of staff they send to these two events in particular.

Away from the fact that BBC no longer do The Open.

Big events like Wimbledon, OpenGolf, Olympics are no longer "covered by the broacasters themselves, but, by the organisers, They then SELL those pictures to the relevant broadcaster who can add their own commentary / interviews etc should they wish.

In short, the cameraman at the open doesn't / (Didnt)  work for BBC - same goes for SKY  / BTSport despite what the bibs say on them.   

Just now, pandarilla said:

There's been loads of good programming through BBC Scotland, TV and radio.

Off the ball for one. And the comedy stuff from chewin the fat to still game.

Plenty of stuff (although I can't think of anything else right now)

yassss, i tricked you into it, now i get to go on my BBC Scotland comedy unit rant.

Also, you dont get to say from chewing the fat to still game as if that is some sort of broad sweep of scottish comedy, it's the same show..

I'll give you off the ball. It is excellent and exceptional in it's singularity as a show which is wholly of working class Scotland. M

Not casting a wry eye at working class Scotland, not an investigation into working class Scotland, not a send up of working class Scotland but of us and how we view both ourselves and the outside world.

The rest of the output, especially the Comedy unit output is narrow minded, Glesga patter white heather club shite where instead of any sort of attempt to do anything genuinely funy you get an auld wifie, or an auld guy, or a pakistani boy, or a wee ned or a junkie or any other cliche to say things like fanny or arsehole in a Glasgow accent based around some forumulaic shite 70s sitcom  or unfunny sketch show storyboard and it passes as Scottish humour. See Chewin the Fat, Two doors Down, Karen Dunbar show, Only an Excuse, Burnistoun, Scot Squadand Still game for examples of this pish. Once every 30 years they try something radically different by doing the same with east coast accents like gary tank commander They also do Mrs Browns Boys

This guy gets it https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/8430/bbc-scotland-commissioners-think-public-stupid-claims-comedy-writer

49 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

yassss, i tricked you into it, now i get to go on my BBC Scotland comedy unit rant.

Also, you dont get to say from chewing the fat to still game as if that is some sort of broad sweep of scottish comedy, it's the same show..

I'll give you off the ball. It is excellent and exceptional in it's singularity as a show which is wholly of working class Scotland. M

Not casting a wry eye at working class Scotland, not an investigation into working class Scotland, not a send up of working class Scotland but of us and how we view both ourselves and the outside world.

The rest of the output, especially the Comedy unit output is narrow minded, Glesga patter white heather club shite where instead of any sort of attempt to do anything genuinely funy you get an auld wifie, or an auld guy, or a pakistani boy, or a wee ned or a junkie or any other cliche to say things like fanny or arsehole in a Glasgow accent based around some forumulaic shite 70s sitcom  or unfunny sketch show storyboard and it passes as Scottish humour. See Chewin the Fat, Two doors Down, Karen Dunbar show, Only an Excuse, Burnistoun, Scot Squadand Still game for examples of this pish. Once every 30 years they try something radically different by doing the same with east coast accents like gary tank commander They also do Mrs Browns Boys

This guy gets it https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/8430/bbc-scotland-commissioners-think-public-stupid-claims-comedy-writer

I think someone may have been having a laugh.....

'.... Ewan Angus, TV commissioning editor at BBC Scotland rejected the allegations: ..........

“It’s nonsense to suggest that we would dismiss an idea on the grounds it was ‘too intellectual’. I certainly would not have rejected a script idea simply because it referenced Socrates – he was one of the finest midfielders Brazil ever produced.”... '

Away from the fact that BBC no longer do The Open.
Big events like Wimbledon, OpenGolf, Olympics are no longer "covered by the broacasters themselves, but, by the organisers, They then SELL those pictures to the relevant broadcaster who can add their own commentary / interviews etc should they wish.
In short, the cameraman at the open doesn't / (Didnt)  work for BBC - same goes for SKY  / BTSport despite what the bibs say on them.   

I'm not talking about frontline staff. The execs and hangers on.

Yes because I use the hell out of the BBC. My radio stations of choice are 6 music and Radio 4. BBC4 has some amazing documentaries, particularly like 'The Secret History Of Our Streets' and the 'Storyville' strand of films, and great music themed stuff at the weekends. I can fully understand people that never use the BBC not paying the fee but it's value for money for me.

29 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Mountain Goats

Miranda

Walliams and Friends

The Vicar of Dibley

Jonah From Tonga

Last of the Summer Wine

Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps

Big Top

My Hero

All About Me

Well that's my Christmas present to you sorted. 

I have no issues paying for the BBC because I use it a lot...I listen to the radio even more than watch the tv ,the BBC is far better value overall due to the quality of product than skys entertainment package which largely consists of repeat s of The Big Bang Theory and white trash Americans picking wedding dresses.

23 minutes ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

I have no issues paying for the BBC because I use it a lot...I listen to the radio even more than watch the tv ,the BBC is far better value overall due to the quality of product than skys entertainment package which largely consists of repeat s of The Big Bang Theory and white trash Americans picking wedding dresses.

The Big Bang Theory has never been on Sky

Archived