Do you pay your TV licence?

Smurph

Do you pay your TV licence?  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Romeo said:

So, you would be happy with some adverts after say 20 minutes of a live football match? If it meant no license fee?

Live football on STV doesn't have adverts interrupting the game, so I don't really see your point here.

20 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Live football on STV doesn't have adverts interrupting the game, so I don't really see your point here.

But you wouldn't have an issue if they started doing this. Like they do in F1?

5 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Happy to pay the license fee but my biggest gripe with the BBC was when they chose to share the F1 rights with Sky instead of ITV and C4 who they saw as direct competitors. Huge fingers up to the license fee payer and non Sky subscriber.

It's not about how whether it's good value or not, it's about being given the choice to not pay if you don't want to watch the channels.  I may pay for it given the choice but at least want that choice. 

I wonder if the BBC did turn into a subscription channel how many would subscribe. It's days are numbered right enough.

1 hour ago, Romeo said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/motor-racing/bbc-reluctantly-give-up-f1-rights-grand-prix-will-be-shown-on-channel-4-without-adverts-from-2016-a6781456.html

Even if it stayed and put adverts in, paying a ~£150 licence specifically to avoid the odd advert during a rather rare BBC live game seems a bit steep though, so I'd put up with it tbh, although there's a reason other channels have avoided ads in fast paced football and deemed it acceptable for monotonous F1.   

7 minutes ago, stu20vt said:

I wonder if the BBC did turn into a subscription channel how many would subscribe. It's days are numbered right enough.

I know I wouldn't and can't think of a time I've used any of their services this week.  

Most folk who like it just for Planet Earth 2 would just buy the DVD box sets and the BBC would be absolutely f***ed, so can't see it happening any time soon, sadly. 

Basic SKY package is about double the cost of the BBC licence fee.  Better off with Freesat.

http://www.freesat.co.uk/channels 

You also get advert free radio with the BBC.

Edit to add: if you decide to ditch SKY after the 12 months is up, you can now get a 2TB Freesat box.  This is priced at £299  but if you are paying about £70 a month for SKY, the Freesat  box has been paid for in about 4 months.

Just plug in the 2 SKY antenna cables into the back of the Freesat box.

https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/hdr-1100s-2tb-white.html?___SID=8d1vjuehmhhkpj5nm59891eeo1U&awc=6517_1481822194_7e7a15b359b51e15ed9f8a55c7684b3e

6 hours ago, gavin_3110 said:

My mate hasn't paid it since moving house a couple of years ago now that I've mentioned it to him.

We moved house over 2 years ago, and now live in the bottom half of a 100+ year old conversion. There are only 3 addresses in our post code. Us at number 39, the flat upstairs at 39A and a cottage across the road at number 40.

When we moved we notified the TV licence and transferred it to the new address, so far so good. We bought a new licence when it was up, and started to get letters saying there was no record of a TV licence at Number 39B. There is no 39B, only 39 and 39A. We kept telling them this but they sent a guy round who confirmed that there was no 39B.

We are now getting letters from the TV licence people saying there is no record of a licence at 39, and that we are under investigation, and we now await another visit from the guy from Kilmarnock.  It must have cost close to £150 for all of the letters etc which we have had in the last 2 and a bit years.

The wife now pays the TV licence monthly by DD from her housekeeping account at the Santander, as this gives her the number of DDs to get the better interest rate etc.

I do pay it but grudge it.

Wimbledon and The Open are just BBC jollies, it's ridiculous the amount of staff they send to these two events in particular.

Plus the covering up of paedos is completely unacceptable and for that alone it should be disbanded.

They also squander large amounts of the licence fee too.

To say it's unbiased is a joke and their manipulation of the news is an insult to my intelligence.

It's one thing I would agree to the Tories privatising.

I pay it but do think you should have the option to opt out if you don't want it. 

Tv should have a shelf life. Broadcast so many times then that's it. If you want to watch it after that, buy the dvd. 

I mean, Dad's Army...?? FFS!!! Why should I pay for that to be broadcast? It's like somebody following you round the supermarket putting 30 year old crap in your trolly and forcing you to buy it. f**k off!! 

:lol: 

Yes.
Worth it for Radio 4 and 6Music alone. Then there is BBC 4 and the occasionally good show on BBC 2.

^^^
Kens the score.

Although in addition to my high cultural diet, I also - for reasons I don't fully understand - find Strictly Come Dancing fucking unmissable.

24 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Yes.

Worth it for Radio 4 and 6Music alone. Then there is BBC 4 and the occasionally good show on BBC 2.

This. Fucked me right off when they cancelled BBC4 for the Olympics. TV on demand is great but sometimes you just want to see what's on, in which case 9/10 I watch BBC4. Radio 3's good for long drives if you're in the mood.

I'll give them planet earth but the BBC have been coasting for years on the reputation that they make groundbreaking programmes.

What networks like Fox and HBO produce make pedestrian cheaply produced pish like poldark or war and peace look like emmerdale.

Even the stuff I really enjoy like the BBC 4 music documentaries are just repackaged old clips or dirt cheap panel shows.

Their proportional investment in English football v Scottish football also means they can f**k off.

1 hour ago, Father Ted said:

I do pay it but grudge it.

Wimbledon and The Open are just BBC jollies, it's ridiculous the amount of staff they send to these two events in particular.

Plus the covering up of paedos is completely unacceptable and for that alone it should be disbanded.

They also squander large amounts of the licence fee too.

To say it's unbiased is a joke and their manipulation of the news is an insult to my intelligence.

It's one thing I would agree to the Tories privatising.

Gave up the rights this year (but had already lost them for next year) to sky

Its impact on British culture (as well as Scottish culture I might add) over the years is pretty much immeasurable.

I think we'd be a very different country, and not in a good way, if the BBC didn't exist. Lord Reith's (sp?) values have taken a bit of a battering at times but remain largely intact.

Overall it's not quite up there with the nhs as an institution, but not a million miles away.

Archived