Do you pay your TV licence?

Smurph

Do you pay your TV licence?  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you compare the cost to sky or virgin it represents great value for money when you consider the TV, Radio and online output and Iplayer.

The basic Sky package is costing $20 p/m.

BBC £12 p/m

People who don't pay and pretend they don't legally have to or say it's not value for money are generally miserable fannies. The type who share a pint in the pub.

Yup and I don't mind paying the 40p a day to have no b*****ding adverts on the programmes I enjoy.

If it was for all programmes I watch, then fair enough, but given that I'm well used to adverts during the vast, vast majority of those I enjoy then I could very easily live with them.

Also, it's worth noting that the BBC do put on adverts between their shows, repeatedly highlighting their own prime time shite (that I'll never watch). Either have adverts or don't.

20 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

If it was for all programmes I watch, then fair enough, but given that I'm well used to adverts during the vast, vast majority of those I enjoy then I could very easily live with them.

Also, it's worth noting that the BBC do put on adverts between their shows, repeatedly highlighting their own prime time shite (that I'll never watch). Either have adverts or don't.

Yeah, those adverts for Eastenders that came on 7 minutes into Planet Earth 2 (worth the license fee itself) were a pain in the arse.

BBC's adverts last a fraction of the time and are at the end / start of the programme but I take your point.

Sometimes I lose interest if the same adverts are on three times in an hour long show, it just puts me off.

I think the days of TV channels are numbered.  The idea that someone else decides that TV programs are on in a certain order at a certain time and that the viewers have to decide that they watch it then is outdated already.  Catch up TV, recording, series links, Netflix, streaming, Amazon Prime, iPlayer are already killing this idea.  The latest Sky box is built for storing programmes and recording them, there's also a big focus on watching TV via devices, downloading programmes to watch later on tablets etc.

What impact this will have on the TV license is difficult to predict but you can imagine people being less supportive of being mandated by law to pay for iPlayer than BBC1.

Nope. I don't want to fund the BBC's propagada.

I also don't want to fund shit like Badults, Citizen Khan, Mrs Brown's Boys, Kris Boyd, Jamie Fulllarton, Billy Brown, Kenny McIntyre etc.

I suppose the counter argument is that you do get some good content as well (Planet Earth II, Still Game, Only Connect).

How easy is it to stop paying? Do you just phone them up and that's that? We have a satellite dish attached to our house from the previous owners. Would we just take that down? Assuming if someone chaps our door and sees it that'll be enough for them to prove we are watching BBC shite even when we don't?

I dont blame you - Sky is shit and I hardly watch any TV either, can get football on a relatives Sky go, films on my Amazon stick and watch other things on Netflix so all these channels available are useless to me. The Mrs watches a few things but i wouldn't mind getting rid Sky.

31 minutes ago, K.T said:

How easy is it to stop paying? Do you just phone them up and that's that? We have a satellite dish attached to our house from the previous owners. Would we just take that down? Assuming if someone chaps our door and sees it that'll be enough for them to prove we are watching BBC shite even when we don't?

If I remember rightly, they have to physically witness you watching tv. There are loads of sites out there dedicated to not paying and what to do when they knock on your door

3 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Yeah. As much as it really pisses me off sometimes I think the BBC is well worth the money.

Yeah, I enjoy paying for acts of paedophilia to be covered up for decades at a time.  I also love paying for biased news reporting. And paying for false reporting. And paying for the BBC to spend £28 million on gagging orders for their staff. And paying for xenophobic racists to be given a platform to say what they like.

Aside from all that, I'm not sure it's worth the money.

I happily paid it when I lived on my own. For the money it is, I think the BBC is well worth it. I certainly find myself watching it a lot, or even reading their news and sport website and app.

Every so often an utterly captivating drama comes on TV and, more often than not, it's on the Beeb.

f**k it, I'd pay the entire fee alone for Planet Earth II.

Archived