Livi v Airdrie

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Interesting to note that Higgins and Loudon appear to have been recalled as they were on the bench'.

I don't think there should be any surprises in this. It has been obvious for a while that the difficulty of having a small squad is that complacency sets in and players feel assured of starting every week. Both of these players came on today and performed better in my opinion than the players starting the game. We have too many in the side who are 'going through the motions'. We know Livi are a better squad by now but today was disappointing due to the fact that half the team turned up.

No fight, no desire by too many players, Livi never got out of first gear. It will be interesting to see how our young manager deals with this.

No complaints from me. Beaten by the much better side. We already knew this but what last week and this week have highlighted is how much we need to improve and add to the squad. Some players just aren't good enough and there's absolutely no squad depth whatsoever. That game was crying out for a substitution to change the game and take it to Livi but there was absolutely nothing to bring off the bench. 

Schmidt tries his best but is completely out of his depth. Admittedly he's never going to win a header against Lithgow or Crighton but even when the ball is played to his feet he has a woeful touch, can't hold the ball, does nothing positive with it and he carries absolutely no threat whatsoever. Bringing in another striker is absolutely essential as just now it looks like we'll never score if Andy Ryan isn't on the park. 

Brown is another one I'd be looking to replace. Puts in the occasional good ball but doesn't do it consistently enough. Not to mention he's a shitebag when it comes to tackling or 50/50 balls. That would be excusable if he was putting in a cracker of a cross or a pass every time he got the ball but he isn't. So it's not. 

Set pieces were woeful today. Either trying training ground moves that didn't work or struggled to beat the first man. In a game like today where we don't look like scoring at all making the most of your set pieces is crucial as that might be where you can muster a goal from but we didn't even come close to doing that.

Only positive was McIntosh is a much better player than Boateng and I hope that is reflected in the team selection when Boateng is next available. 

Not really sure where this idea that Louden had a good game has come from. Made a clearance and passed the ball to their defender in a good attacking position but that's about all he did.

8 hours ago, kerrdavidson95 said:

It's alright though, Livi will liquidate themselves before the end of the season and we'll get the promotion nod.

They could barely have had 700 home fans for their biggest home game of the season. This isn't a crowdwank post as we are no better, but I raise it because their squad is almost twice the size of ours (in terms of actual first teamers and not kids) and they signed 4 players from us on higher wages. How are they paying for this? Their board said at the start of the season said they were going to make a loss this season, but I'm pretty sure they will have budgeted for more than average gates of 750-800. Are these losses going to be made back by slogging it out at the bottom of the Championship? Obviously not, home crowds will barely increase (if at all) and they'll have to invest in the squad to be competitive. As usual with Livi there doesn't seem to be anyone questioning their own club on how this is managable. I, and I think most Airdrie fans, have big doubts over whether our full-time venture will work, and these have been expressed all over this board and elsewhere. Livi seem to be throwing far more money at it than us on the same crowds and no-one seems to question it. All the more weird given their previous.

30 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

They could barely have had 700 home fans for their biggest home game of the season. This isn't a crowdwank post as we are no better, but I raise it because their squad is almost twice the size of ours (in terms of actual first teamers and not kids) and they signed 4 players from us on higher wages. How are they paying for this? Their board said at the start of the season said they were going to make a loss this season, but I'm pretty sure they will have budgeted for more than average gates of 750-800. Are these losses going to be made back by slogging it out at the bottom of the Championship? Obviously not, home crowds will barely increase (if at all) and they'll have to invest in the squad to be competitive. As usual with Livi there doesn't seem to be anyone questioning their own club on how this is managable. I, and I think most Airdrie fans, have big doubts over whether our full-time venture will work, and these have been expressed all over this board and elsewhere. Livi seem to be throwing far more money at it than us on the same crowds and no-one seems to question it. All the more weird given their previous.

It's not lost in Livi fans, but our Operating Committee (whoever they are) made it clear they would rack up more debt for Livi getting them back to the Championship. 

We unfortunatley can't dictate who our owners are and more to the point what money they throw at it with an expectation of wanting it back 

11 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Not really sure where this idea that Louden had a good game has come from. Made a clearance and passed the ball to their defender in a good attacking position but that's about all he did.

Loudon won 3 free kicks and a corner for the little time he was on the park as well as the clearance. One of the best opportunities we had in the game he also created where he put in a a decent cross but the player attacking the ball with his head didnt get enough behind the ball. 

At the start of the season we were told we would need crowds of around 1000 all season to break even.

Sadly, our advertisement/ marketing team are absolutely woeful so no one in Livingston knows when the next game is, how big the game is etc.

Hell, I doubt many livi fans will know it's a 2pm kick off next weekend.

Plus they haven't paid the compensation for watt and cadden

14 hours ago, dextermorgan said:

'Interesting to note that Higgins and Loudon appear to have been recalled as they were on the bench'.

I don't think there should be any surprises in this. It has been obvious for a while that the difficulty of having a small squad is that complacency sets in and players feel assured of starting every week. Both of these players came on today and performed better in my opinion than the players starting the game. We have too many in the side who are 'going through the motions'. We know Livi are a better squad by now but today was disappointing due to the fact that half the team turned up.

No fight, no desire by too many players, Livi never got out of first gear. It will be interesting to see how our young manager deals with this.

Higgins did not come on but Loudon had a few good contributions but that shows how weak our squad is. Another post said no compensation has been paid for Watt/Cadden-do we know if this is true or are negotations not completed yet?

If you haven't seen any discussion over David Martindale on the Livingston thread over the past 18-24 months then you should try looking a little bit harder.

Sadly for us, our supporters' trust are about much use as a chocolate teapot. You should feel lucky.

Higgins did not come on but Loudon had a few good contributions but that shows how weak our squad is. Another post said no compensation has been paid for Watt/Cadden-do we know if this is true or are negotations not completed yet?

Livi offered £500 compensation for watt/cadden Airdrie told them to bolt. It's know going to a tribunal.

28 minutes ago, AMC13 said:

Oh look a team lost to us and are now suddenly questioning us financially. I for one am shocked.

We've all been asking since the start of the season how you're going to pay for Cadden and Watt after you signed them from us. In true Livi style it appears you won't/can't. Even you can see there's something not quite right about that. Especially as one has scored against us in the two previous games  

That aside, everyone from every team always questions Livingston financially. It's only the Livi fans that dont. 

Edited to say there are actually one or two on here sensible enough to do so

12 hours ago, kerrdavidson95 said:

It's alright though, Livi will liquidate themselves before the end of the season and we'll get the promotion nod.

We're old hands at this admin stuff we don't do liquidation, but dinny worry about it, if we did we'd just come back as Livi Utd. Or The Livi.

We've all been asking since the start of the season how you're going to pay for Cadden and Watt after you signed them from us. In true Livi style it appears you won't/can't. Even you can see there's something not quite right about that. Especially as one has scored against us in the two previous games  
That aside, everyone from every team always questions Livingston financially. It's only the Livi fans that dont. 
Edited to say there are actually one or two on here sensible enough to do so

Most Livi fans know how fucked up our board are and have for years but to come out after going ten points behind and the league and moan that not enough Livi fans question their board looks like a massive deflection tactic. As Afro has said on the Livi thread all Livi fans have done is question the board and Martindale but Airdrie fans wouldn't know that because you're all a bit pissed off.

7 minutes ago, carlukediamond said:

Livi offered £500 compensation for watt/cadden Airdrie told them to bolt. It's know going to a tribunal.

Sounds like a fair offer.:whistle

I think we got 10K for Hippo to Falkirk but I doubt we'd put some of that aside for Cadden and Watt. Looks like typical delay tactics that businesses use to put off making payments for as long as possible, but if it gets decided by a tribunal then unless there is an appeal process after that there should be a deadline on when it gets paid.

5 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Really not sure what you're getting at here, our team is mainly full of kids - just that they're better than yours :D 

Our average age this season is around 21/22.

Yesterday's lineup

Kelly, 20
Halkett, 21
Crighton, 26
Lithgow, 28
Longridge, 21
Mullin, 24
Pittman, 24
Byrne, 23
De Vita, 29
Buchanan, 31
Carrick, 22

Subs:

Maley, 34
Cadden, 20
Neill, 20
Knox, 16
Currie, 19
Ogilvie, 17
Mullen, 21

Entire average age, 22.

I reckon yesterday was actually our most comfortable home game yet, clean sheet and the team is settling. Few people mentioning that this is a core that could do well in years to come. Probably likely to be worth the risk to go back up this year if we kick on in the Championship - obviously the short term goal is survival in there but with this core then who knows?

It's been mentioned before also that Livi's support in the Premier League was glory hunters, which every club has. Who knows what can happen if the club starts to do well in the Championship, maybe once the colder weather is out we can easily push the 1,000+ in the run up to the title.

4 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Love how other teams fans assume they know everything about our squad when they know very little.

It is made up of a mixture of youth players, players from the junior leagues, young players that weren't wanted from other teams, an experienced player that couldn't get a team to play for and was desperate just to play, and the odd player we got from a rival team. I doubt very much any of them are on high wages but you go ahead and make stuff up. 

I doubt Livi or Airdrie can afford to stay FT in this league with sub 1,000 crowds, our board said they were taking a hit to stay FT, dunno what you expect the Livi fans to do about it, but I think Airdrie fans might be more concerned about how their own team is affording it with their prior history from the old Airdrie before jumping on about ours.

There is plenty about our finances on the Livi thread though, this is the match thread and we're 10 points clear at the top of the league so ROUND YE.;)8)

Archived