Club World Cup 2016

NorthernLights

Sitting somewhere around the EFL Trophy and the Challenge Cup level in terms of prestige the Club World Cup is once again underway. 

Such is the fever pitch excitement surrounding this years tournament I'm sure you'll all be surprised to hear that 5 matches out of 8 have already been completed.

Kashima Antlers have reached the final today after beating Atlético Nacional 3-0.  The game was notable as a penalty was awarded with help of a video replay.  I'm sure Kashima Antlers are the first "host club" and first team from Asia to reach the final.  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38318258

Tomorrow América play Real Madrid in the other semi-final.

I live in Colombia and Nacional and their fans have done nothing but talk about how they will travel to Japan and play Real Madrid. They had Kashima beaten before a ball was even kicked and now they have been embarrassed. As for the video for the penalty, it was a clear penalty so there shouldn't be any controversy about it. 

• 11 months later...

I'm off to watch Real Madrid v Al Jazira tonight - should be an interesting atmosphere to begin with anyway, with the Abu Dhabi club making it through to the semi-final.  Need to wrap up warm though, it's barely 20C today.

Archived