Work bonus and perks

locheedfcno1

When I worked for a large financial firm we got a bonus, I used to like it.  I don't think it caused bad behaviour (arse kissing, back stabbing etc).  Depending on how the company was doing they announced a 'pot' and then your performance was assessed and you were awarded a bonus of a percentage of that pot.  Meeting all your targets saw you get a 95% rating, to get 100% you had to be over and above.

SO say the pot was 10% and you were doing a decent job, meeting all your objectives.  You'd get 95% so would get a bonus of 9.5% of your annual salary.  If you went over and above you'd get 100%, 10% of your salary and so on.  I once got 120% bonus as I was judged to be doing an 'exceptional' job, which was pleasing, until I realised that it really meant I was underpaid in terms of salary :lol:  I think I ended up getting around 16% of my salary as a bonus that year, good times.

I always treated it as an extra, a bonus and never budgeted for it so it really was a bonus.  There were people who treated it as part of their salary and consequently ended up utterly outraged if they got a bit lower.  The fact that each department was assigned a fixed amount for bonuses also complicated it as if someone got more than the pot, someone else had to get less.

I moved job after that and went to work for another financial company but they didn't pay bonuses to all staff, mainly because their results meant that bonuses were out of the question.  Apparently there were people who, in the good years, got a share option they cashed in every year and used the money to pay for private schools, a new car etc.  When the share price tanked they were absolutely f*cked, had to take little Timmy out of Merchiston, sell the house in the Algarve.  Tough shit dickheads!

I get excellent perks in my current job, you can't really ask for better.  No bonus though but my base salary is good so I'm not that fussed about it.  

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, irvine_buddie said:

Working for such a large company with big benefits if you climb ladder high enough, I see a lot of the arse sniffing and backstabbing yous are talking about, it's cringeworth at times.

Very much this. I pride myself on being good at my job, insightful, intelligent and polite and helpful whenever called upon.

That being said, my face doesn't fit in my current workplace as I don't adhere to the principles of going out of my way and simpering up to the right folk and in fact silently resent those who do. I've always hoped that what I do rather than what I say to to the right folk would get me on professionally. But that simply isn't the case and never will be and this seems to be a recurring theme in the manufacturing world.

It's gotten to the stage where I've been offered the chance at going for a masters degree in Maintenance Management next year despite having no degree (the uni will accept a dozen years of manufacturing knowledge in lieu of being an undergrad) and I'm seriously considering it. Regardless, I know I'm going to have to go down the learning route to work my way up in hopefully a different profession.

I'm torn between a few places though, I fancy getting into the social work or housing sector or some form of counselling. Similarly, my skill set would see me on the fast track in maintenance or an auditory role. So I'm still considering where to go next.

One thing's for sure though, semi-skilled and high-level manufacturing is an absolute snakepit and it's not for me anymore.

We used to get a £50 voucher at Christmas time, no much but something for nothing. c***s done away with it last year.
We also used to get annual pay rises (somewhere between 3-5% usually) but that got canned a couple of years ago.
Also got pay cuts earlier this year, 3 weeks after the CEO told the company we were in a good place.
But, we're supposed to be thankful we still have a job as many others have been paid off.

Payrise last year was just over 9%, end of 1st year here and they wanted to keep me.

Got appraisal and payrise in January and confident of rise but not expecting as much this year.

There is a quarterly bonus based on results and we have hit 4 of the last 6, and should make the Oct-Dec one due to end.

Will mean that one of the pays in January will be boosted by between £750 - £ 1050

(the lowest and highest bonuses I have had so far, so as based on results should be in that region).

It in one of the pays in Janaury as get paid fortnightly (American company, american pay),

Ever 2nd Friday is payday, better than weekly and a lot better than 4 weekly, or monthly.

All in all pretty good.

Nothing, but I don't grudge it. I work in admin and there isn't a bonus system. Besides, the clue is in the name, so it's not like I expect a bonus anyway.

Had a bonus of £14 once when I worked at the Bank of Scotland call centre. Branch staff were getting circa £3k due to how the stupid system worked, and it was reported at the time that all BOS staff were getting that, so when folk were phoning up they were all bitter about it and believing that were getting a huge bonus.

I did get another bonus once at that job of about £150 which was decent, but I'd rather have had f**k all and never worked there at all.

Brown nosers are just sad arsehole sell outs who rent their dignity for buttons. Fucking clowns who should be watched.

The only thing I get from my work at Christmas is a hollow feeling as I log out for the break because I know that I'll only need to come back. Apart from a sense of impending or deferred disappointment there is f**k all on offer. Shite every day of the year. 

I work in the travel industry. We have opportunities to travel to Destinations to meet with tourism boards and hotels in the destination. We are usually away for up to a week at a time. 

When there. You are taken on tours of the main sights. Its all paid for and even though you are in meetings half of the day. Its in another part of the world. So feels like a holiday. 

33 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

Get a performance related bonus every march. Can be between 7%-10% of my salary which is based on the pay rise which usually comes in at the same time. Not bad at all.

I couldn't understand why people turn up for these marches before, round to the lodge first thing tomorrow.

7 hours ago, mrcat1990 said:

I get to finish work two hours early on the 23rd. Yay.

I get away half an hour early :thumbsdown

I'm all for telling them we will finish at our usual time instead of taking up their generous offer but I feel my colleagues may stab me.

11 hours ago, Ross. said:

We get to carry over our unused annual leave, or exchange it all for cash. One of the girls I work with has just under 6 months worth of annual leave that she knows she will never be able to fully use, but she keeps carrying days over because when she decides to leave the company they will pay it up at the rate she is on when she goes rather than the rate it was accrued on, which is a fair fucking difference after 15 years.

Wish we had that - I always have leave left over and would gladly sell it for some cash rather than have weeks off in January and February. Instead my company does the opposite by encouraging staff to sacrifice some of their salary so they can take even more holidays! They also seem to be clamping down in how much we can carry over too. Because I'll have been there 10 years next year I get an extra two days just for 2017 - once I get to 15 or 20 they start giving you extra cash every five years too. Would rather have that than days off. Every night job we work we get half a day back in lieu and if someone works a Saturday they get the full day back - wish we got over-time instead.

I always thought our perks were shit but compared to some folk on here it's pretty good. We get £20 each towards our Christmas night out (the first year I originally thought it was twenty quid between the office). The much hated previous MD abolished this in her final year, the new MD (slightly less hated) brought it back almost straight away.

We get a bonus in March depending on how the company has done. Everyone gets the same amount, with deductions if you only started half way through the year or whatever. I was furious the first year as I got docked all of January's bonus even though I started the second week and bugger all happened in the first. One year we were told we weren't getting it due to the poor annual results, instead some new method would be used to work out a bonus the following year. We all assumed we'd get bugger all and presumably so did the bosses, so it was with some glee we got about £800 (pre-tax) the following year as the company hadn't been as shit as expected. Needless to say the formula was changed the following year...

So glad reading this that I don't have to worry about brown nosing and the like to get pay rises. We just move up a banding every year on the anniversary of when we started, plus we get whatever pay rise the union negotiates on top. The same year as the no bonuses, there weren't meant to be any pay rises either - except in an unintentional piece of brilliance the union in Scotland had negotiated a two year deal the year before and it had to be honoured :lol: I think the current MD is keen on performance related pay but hasn't managed it yet.

Finally (because I'm sending you all to sleep) we have a tremendous system on Fridays. Nearly everyone does a half day. A few folk stay on until 4ish (although we usually try to duck out early) to answer the phones etc and in return they get the following Friday off. Always good to swap days to get the Friday off at the start of your holiday.

EDIT: Jesus, that was long for a guy who doesn't think he gets many perks. Fully expect some tl;dr responses.

We get around £300 half yearly and also 4% of our wage each month that can be taken as cash or numerous other things such as dental care, health care, car scheme etc... Not the best paid job in the world but they do treat the staff well.

Archived