Work bonus and perks

locheedfcno1

Does anyone still get a bonus or perk at work? Only one I had was when I was working in Rotterdam when we got a few quid from the boss to go out and enjoy ourselves. Got train to Amsterdam and had a great weekend. So does anyone get a bonus being money or some kind of reward?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worked in a place for a few years where you got between one and two grand a year in your hand. I've also worked in places where you got absolutely f**k all. Not even a merry Christmas.

My current slave drivers employers other than a wee gift at Christmas the only incentive is an increased unsociable hours/overtime rate, which isn't really an incentive, but it is made out to be.

Management on the other hand get fucking huge bonuses based on how well muppets like me make them look good.  

They experimented with a performance-related one in lieu of a pay rise in our place for a while.

It was universally unpopular - it was especially cringeworthy seeing a minority of punters who were obviously chasing it turn into human Teasmades for everyone senior to them and exchange any shred of dignity they had for what turned out to be a bit less than a tenner a week after tax.

Additionally, as a maximun of 30% of staff would get it, the real result was that a minimum of 70% of staff didn't give a f**k the following year.

My bonus last year worked out just over what I was earning a year when I done almost the same job as I'm doing now in Glasgow. I don't expect as much this year but it still seems fairly obscene to me how much some of the firms here pay.

The only time I've ever had a bonus in my puff was in March, and the pay rise was about £70 a month after tax. That'll probably be the high point of my current job (from a financial perspective, if I manage to find another job in the next year, I'd class that as a genuine high point).

I have also witnessed my fair share of folk crawling up the arses of the gaffers, and it's fucking cringeworthy. Performance-related pay really brings out the worst in some people, especially those that are actually mates with some of the managers.

1 minute ago, Lordofthewing said:

I have also witnessed my fair share of folk crawling up the arses of the gaffers, and it's fucking cringeworthy. Performance-related pay really brings out the worst in some people, especially those that are actually mates with some of the managers.

Unfortunately in a lot of places it is the only way to climb the ladder. It doesn't require any performance related pay for this to happen.

The funniest bit about it all is when the said people actually realise that they are in with a shout of promotion, or a better job start defending the manager and how he's a good guy and just misunderstood.

I remember one guy who, when he was but a humble pleb used to dream up ways of the most pleasurable way to execute the senior manager. When he realised he was going to get a promotion it changed to "He's actually alright once you get to know him" and it ended up with them going for lunch together when he got said promotion.

A lot of shop stewards exhibit this type of behaviour

I work for a FTSE100 company and we get nothing at xmas, not even a meal paid for. We do get an annual bonus usually about 1.5-2% but it's currently 4 months late and is late every year as the unions and the company bicker over every 0.1%. The head of departments and above all get huge bonuses and car allowances even though the company is going through a multi million pound cost cutting period for a few years.

Working for such a large company with big benefits if you climb ladder high enough, I see a lot of the arse sniffing and backstabbing yous are talking about, it's cringeworth at times.

Unfortunately in a lot of places it is the only way to climb the ladder. It doesn't require any performance related pay for this to happen.
The funniest bit about it all is when the said people actually realise that they are in with a shout of promotion, or a better job start defending the manager and how he's a good guy and just misunderstood.
I remember one guy who, when he was but a humble pleb used to dream up ways of the most pleasurable way to execute the senior manager. When he realised he was going to get a promotion it changed to "He's actually alright once you get to know him" and it ended up with them going for lunch together when he got said promotion.
A lot of shop stewards exhibit this type of behaviour

Fair points.

I was using performance-related pay as it is more relevant to me, but I do see your point.

I was also one of the few grunts to actually get a bonus last year, probably due to covering a supervisor's absence for a few months, so oddly enough I'm probably in a better position than I've ever been in the workplace, but also somehow more scunnered.

The fact I've been in the same job for several years is a factor, though I'd wager that everyone, at some point or another in their working life, has come up with ridiculous ideas to bring managers down a peg or two. It's a good way to pass the time, if nothing else.

Does anyone still get a bonus or perk at work? Only one I had was when I was working in Rotterdam when we got a few quid from the boss to go out and enjoy ourselves. Got train to Amsterdam and had a great weekend. So does anyone get a bonus being money or some kind of reward?

Get a company wide annual bonus in July and have a pay progression system which increases your salary by X or Y depending on results and performance.

Get nearly 6 weeks annual leave a year and we are able to accrue time once we've done the 37hrs per week which we are contracted. Building up time is fairly easy to do most months given the job and amount of travelling I do. The perk of this is that you get that time back as leave or if we're too busy, it goes through as overtime. The other perk of accruing time is that most years, at the end of the financial year we can sell up to a weeks annual leave and carry over any remaining days.

It sounds good on paper...

2 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Get a company wide annual bonus in July and have a pay progression system which increases your salary by X or Y depending on results and performance.

Get nearly 6 weeks annual leave a year and we are able to accrue time once we've done the 37hrs per week which we are contracted. Building up time is fairly easy to do most months given the job and amount of travelling I do. The perk of this is that you get that time back as leave or if we're too busy, it goes through as overtime. The other perk of accruing time is that most years, at the end of the financial year we can sell up to a weeks annual leave and carry over any remaining days.

It sounds good on paper...

We get to carry over our unused annual leave, or exchange it all for cash. One of the girls I work with has just under 6 months worth of annual leave that she knows she will never be able to fully use, but she keeps carrying days over because when she decides to leave the company they will pay it up at the rate she is on when she goes rather than the rate it was accrued on, which is a fair fucking difference after 15 years.

13 minutes ago, Lordofthewing said:

Fair points.

I was using performance-related pay as it is more relevant to me, but I do see your point.

I was also one of the few grunts to actually get a bonus last year, probably due to covering a supervisor's absence for a few months, so oddly enough I'm probably in a better position than I've ever been in the workplace, but also somehow more scunnered.

The fact I've been in the same job for several years is a factor, though I'd wager that everyone, at some point or another in their working life, has come up with ridiculous ideas to bring managers down a peg or two. It's a good way to pass the time, if nothing else.

Unfortunately in the world we live in it's difficult not to be scunnered. The only people I am envious of are people who actually enjoy their work.

Sounds like a new way of divide and conquer in the workplace. Most places I've worked it's been the method of choice for keeping the plebs in check.

My place at the moment is currently a joy as literally everybody's job is up for grabs. There's an awful lot of people with some very brown noses.

I get a bonus depending on how the company are doing every February, it's usually about £200 which the make a big deal about getting "here lads thanks for all the hard work you've done and come to work every day, here's a £4 a week bonus" suppose it's better than a kick in the balls though. 

The Girl gets anywhere between £1500-£3000 in May and November, this is excellent for us as it covers most of a holiday and Xmas every year. 

Archived