Kids X'mas Nativity/Concert

Let's face it they're pretty pish.  Singing is way out of tune. Forgotten words. Fckn space ship in the story line !! Had to sit through 80 minutes of crap to watch my laddie sing silent night, he didn't want to be there either  

To cap it all the cuppa was luke warm and the home baking was rank  

I say scrap them. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My eldest daughter was Mary when she was at the Nursery. Hit the motherload. She was good too, remembered all her words. Next year she was an angel or a mouse or something. What a fall from grace. Was shite in comparison.

The next year was the turn of my younger daughter who was also at Nursery. For this one they invited the parents into the games hall and sat them around the perimeter of the hall. Then the Nursery teachers led the kids in and tried to get them to perform. It had a gladiatorial feel to it. Think dog fights. Anyway, my daughter just went red, and some of the kids cried.

This year they let the class rehearse in the games hall for 20 minutes while the parents had a cup of lukewarm tea/coffee and a mince pie in the 30 degree heat of a Nursery environment. Then they led us through to a games hall, with seating set up in a cinema style. This year all the kids remembered their moves and all the words (well most of them) to that Sunshine in My Pocket song and to five Christmas songs. It was good.

Tonight it's eldest daughter's turn again. She's a narrator.

When the wee guy starts Nursery I'll have three of these a year.

Ours has a habit of getting sick around the time of these things, so we've missed the last two in a row. Not sure how he manages it, but fair play to him. Wish I'd thought of it when I was his age.

Haha fair point the cuppa hit.  Didn't think it was that bad.. Common saying in our working class Edinburgh house . Maybe an east coast thing. 

Points still stand about nativity though.  They are mostly crap and all parents are ready to bolt as soon as theirs has done their bit.  

Just my boy is in P7 so had to sit through whole thing.  Torture 

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Ours has a habit of getting sick around the time of these things, so we've missed the last two in a row. Not sure how he manages it, but fair play to him. Wish I'd thought of it when I was his age.

Your missus hates them too, so gives the young lad a wee bit of food poisoning . 

My boy had his first one last night, had a speaking part. He spoke well and confidently, stood with his hands in his pockets though. Which was made far worse by the fact he somehow managed to have his trousers on back to front.

Some boy.

17 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

My daughter is going to a party on Sunday and I have to sign a waiver/disclaimer thing. Sounds pretty hardcore for an 11th birthday. 

Kids parties are another thread altogether!!  Off the scale.. My boy got taken to xtreme karting !! Must have cost them a fortune 

22 minutes ago, marty_j said:

My youngest says his is a play about someone who isn't real, Jesus. Quite proud he is a total non believer at just 6. My daughter was 9 before she worked out it was a pile of shit.

Good lad.  My kids have been well telt.  They ken the script. 

When I was at primary school my head teacher was one of these "art is so much more important than science" types, which meant that as soon as we got back after the summer holidays, we were rehearsing the nativity play, and as soon as we got back after Christmas, we were rehearsing an Easter play. Every year there would be a different musical take on each story. One that stick in my mind was the nativity being told from the perspective of the wise men - titled "Sheikh, Rattle and Roll". You can guess what the music was themed around...

Let's face it they're pretty pish.  Singing is way out of tune. Forgotten words. Fckn space ship in the story line !! Had to sit through 80 minutes of crap to watch my laddie sing silent night, he didn't want to be there either  
To cap it all the cuppa was luke warm and the home baking was rank  
I say scrap them. 
Bah Humbug, Scrooge, it is only a wee while out of your life, get over yourself

Archived