Pubs turning shite

jamamafegan

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This all too much for me. I won't be back.
Boozers as folk have said are for getting pished and playing pool.

Steve Hughes the comedian summed it up. Doorman walks up to him and says "you're drunk".
Fuckin right I am, I've been spending money in here all day. What the f**k did you expect?

Not allowed to get drunk anymore in the boozer. The place civilization build for people to get drunk in.

Foundry? What's the other one?
Am I totally wrong or isn't the mark-up on food considerably higher than alcohol in pubs?

Sandeman, although that changed a while ago and I wasn't a regular there. Foundry was my go to pub for the football. Will be going to Christie's instead.

Oh aye, 44 or some pish now. Surely Brennan's must fall into this category now too?
Pubs in Perth have always been shite anyway.

Didn't know the Corrina had also fallen victim to this horrible disease. Shame.

Brennans, I have to say, is pretty decent now. I was in there the other night and it was heaving. It's now called The Venue and is marketing itself as a gin bar. It's a bit quirky inside but at least you know what to expect. Owned by the owner of Green Room (best boozer in town IMO) it stays open till 3 as well which is brilliant because it means I don't have to reluctantly trudge over to Loft to continue my night.

25 minutes ago, milton75 said:

And this, really, is the point. I like traditional pubs too; pints of 80, worn varnished fittings, worn carpets, etc. etc...
However, that's "traditional" to me, and as a sub-40 year old the chances are that what many older gents would consider would be traditional would be different. No women's bogs (no women altogether), no food at all - including crisps, nuts, etc, and a very limited selection of spirits. And awful lot of pubs in Scotland used to only sell (shit) beer and whisky after all.

So really nothing has changed as change itself is the constant. Some adapt, some try to hang on.

But there will remain some place for all.
Just as crocodiles and suchlike will still have tropical swamps in warmer climes where they can rock about like it's still prehistoric times, there will remain industrial areas and sink estates where those of us nostalgically seeking the scent of piss and domestic violence can indulge in both over a pint of watery McEwan's Lager.

Very true, my Dad's idea of a traditional boozer was pretty much as you described.

His idea of pub etiquette was pretty old fashioned too. You had to stand at the bar and drink pints of heavy. Sitting at a table with a bottle of lager was completely unacceptable behaviour.

Didn't know the Corrina had also fallen victim to this horrible disease. Shame.

Brennans, I have to say, is pretty decent now. I was in there the other night and it was heaving. It's now called The Venue and is marketing itself as a gin bar. It's a bit quirky inside but at least you know what to expect. Owned by the owner of Green Room (best boozer in town IMO) it stays open till 3 as well which is brilliant because it means I don't have to reluctantly trudge over to Loft to continue my night.

What is the name of the pub on Rannoch road, just after the shops. Had a few good beers in there with the locals. Hope that's not changed. Clientele were great, bit ruff if you won too many times at pool.

For those of you who know Inverness, the Auctioneers has become that.  Looked like a decent sports bar for years, but was bought over and was refurbished last autumn and it now looks like the inside of a seafood restaurant.  Light blue walls with stupid shite attached to them and carpets replaced by wooden floors that looks like the inside of a cabin.

more tragically The Moorings has turned into a Hawaiian themed cocktail bar.

Tragic is not the word. The only thing I can think of is that they were trying to lose the 'Pirate Bar' with hairy men wearing black leather image.

Thankfully for them they still have a brilliant range of drinks and a rather good music scene, but the change has made it no better.

Noticed the Pittodrie bar is due to open soon after a renovation, which is not inspiring confidence tbh.

Another one I quite liked and has also been transformed into a light coloured soulless cafe is the Tilted Wig. They even changed the name to just 'The Wig' for some unknown but most likely pathetic reason. Not been back in. Not had the heart to tell my step-dad who previously came up to renovate it to something more decent-pub-like.

1 hour ago, Lordofthewing said:

I went to Tamsons for the first time a few weeks ago, decent boozer. Middleton's is pretty cheap and a good pint, but the Persevere seems a bit dull, though I've only been in once or twice. The Central seems to have a dodgy reputation, never noticed anything myself yet though.

On the old-fashioned jakey boozers turned hipster shitholes, the one that instantly springs to mind is the Volunteer Arms, which has changed names twice in the last year and a half or so, and is now run by Innis and Gunn.

The Brunswick is another one that looks like it's trying to get rid of its' spit and sawdust image since it changed hands.

Unfortunately, quite a few of my mates prefer the more pretentious boozers, and look down their noses at the old man's pubs, meaning I end up in some overpriced shit heap of a place, taking a fucking age to get served, and can barely hear what anyone else is saying over the utterly shite music blaring out.

If I'm lucky I'll end up in the Black Bull, with a rock / metal jukebox, and a few games of pool before heading off to some dive of a club in the Grassmarket or Cowgate, if I'm unlucky it's somewhere like Three Sisters.

Tamsons was a local for a good 4/5 years, when the owners hubby is called "Zorro" you didn't need to worry about hipsters.

Good lock ins too.

The Old Toll in Bonnington was excellent but gone done over probably 10 years ago. Frightenly bad thereafter.

Neighbours in McDonald Road was a quirky wee bar, then closed down, levelled and a horrendous far larger open plan shithouse of a pool/sports bar was put up , the Hopetoun ?? maybe?

Last I'd heard it had shut :)

At least the Phoenix still survives...

1 hour ago, SlipperyP said:

What is the name of the pub on Rannoch road, just after the shops. Had a few good beers in there with the locals. Hope that's not changed. Clientele were great, bit ruff if you won too many times at pool.

The Welcome inn, only drank in it once, the regulars clearly didn't like me sitting in their area as they started throwing jackets etc. towards me trying to get me to move away. 

It's the bar at the crossroads of bonnington Road /Newhaven Road/pilrig St I'm sure. Have met mates there to watch football but it's unbelievably bland. 

Out of the older pubs Central, Persevere and Wilkies are the best imo. 

Out of the newer ones Lioness, Woodland Creatures and Brass Monkey are best. Almost certain mousetrap isn't run by innis and gunn. It's not bad in there. 

1 minute ago, Kool Keith said:

It's the bar at the crossroads of bonnington Road /Newhaven Road/pilrig St I'm sure. Have met mates there to watch football but it's unbelievably bland. 

Out of the older pubs Central, Persevere and Wilkies are the best imo. 

Out of the newer ones Lioness, Woodland Creatures and Brass Monkey are best. Almost certain mousetrap isn't run by innis and gunn. It's not bad in there. 

Think it's the Bonnington Bar, never been in but it looks ok. 

Yeah the Bonnington is shit and run by arseholes. I remembered it being called Guilty Lillies when i lived on Broughton Road years ago, back then i drank in the Stags Head which is now called The Other Side, its more of a restaurant now but its quite a nice place.

Brass Monkey is good, on Saturday it had a fair few Goths/Emo's in there though and it doesn't show football. I prefer the Iona out of the ones on ER although its pretty small its a nice place to stop in for a beer.

12 minutes ago, throbber said:

Was the Old Toll in Bonnington the one that burnt down in the summer? Or was that called the Bonnington Bridge Bar when it was open? 

Not been in a couple of years and hadn't heard of either being torched.

The Seaforth in Ullapool usually gets a mention in the best chipper threads.

No longer.

Bought over and the chipper is pish. But it is still better than the bar.

No main structural / decor changes, just the beer.

Out with Tennant's, Guinness, Peroni etc and in with genetic ©Cunther S&N pisswater.

Locals left in droves , so it no longer opens at 9am.

It will still make a killing in the Tourist months, but as a pub it has jumped the shark.

5 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Think it's the Bonnington Bar, never been in but it looks ok. 

Its shite, don't bother with it.

The Bonnington Bridge Bar might not have been open in the past 10 years but there was a pretty old building just near the water of leith bridge there that got burned down in the summer, people were saying it was an insurance job. There was nothing in it for as long as i have lived here but apparently used to be a good pub.

Gentrification of pubs is accelerating.

I used to really like Carters on Morrison road for a post match pint. The whole "get carter" angle was fairly kitsch, the pub was sufficiently dingy with some old, rag tag furniture, a decent mix of locals and people passing through and a decent range of booze, had a decent sound system with no problems playing the music loud and getting requests on, even if there wa sno jukebox as such. It underwent a remake to become Carter's tap that killed some of the atmosphere before it changed hands lately and killed off the rest. Now, all the Get carter's photos and art is gone, as well as the art done by one of the former bar staff, the music is now a pre-chosen list playing quietly in the background and the place is well lit with character-less fittings. The bar staff are now uniform clad with fucking waistcoats and you can now purchase a bottle of wine and mixed platter tray for £30. f**k right off.

1 minute ago, Njord said:

It was when I worked down there 20 years back.

Torch job wouldn't have been a surprise back then.

I think they were trying to do it up for years and ran out of money and torched it. Everyone was calling it an insurance job at the time anyway.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/video-fierce-fire-destroys-derelict-newhaven-road-pub-1-4203599

I'd never been in the one that burnt recently always thought it was a waste of a building. The one along the road, oceana I think is unbelievably cheap, sure it was £2.80 a Stella when I was in there not too long ago. 

Used to live close to Carters and it was probably the best pub in that area. Knew the brothers that took it over when it was called ossians. Supposed to be really shite now. Honourable mention for The Jolly Botanist along the road from it which must be the biggest change in a bar I've ever seen. 

Archived