Pubs turning shite

jamamafegan

Just now, Duff Man said:

A shame it's not the same for the new stadium. Either the Auld Toll Tavern in Grangemouths Auld Toon or probably the Orchard the nearest boozers to the stadium now.

I just drive to the games now as I stay nearer Cumbernauld and pick my laddie up at his work before the games.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, StandFree03 said:

Oh aye, 44 or some pish now. Surely Brennan's must fall into this category now too?

Pubs in Perth have always been shite anyway.

Not been in Brennans since it changed.

Suppose these places have to go more "upmarket", popular-ish traditional pubs like the Moncrieff Arms have been forced to shut down because they dont want to change

27 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I was in Dow's yesterday. That is one pub that will never change, thankfully. Didn't stay long, of course.

I drink in there sometimes, don't begrudge paying £3.40 for a pint these days but the Tennents in there is horribly flat. 

I drink in there sometimes, don't begrudge paying £3.40 for a pint these days but the Tennents in there is horribly flat. 

Britain in general serves atrocious pints. Don't think I have ever got a flat pint abroad apart from well renowned brit shit pits like Magaluf.

Foundry? What's the other one?
Am I totally wrong or isn't the mark-up on food considerably higher than alcohol in pubs?

The foundry always had a pretty big focus on food. Although I've not been in since it has been done up.

I was out in Perth last night and spent the whole night in the Auld Hoose. Great pub.

58 minutes ago, StandFree03 said:

Oh aye, 44 or some pish now. Surely Brennan's must fall into this category now too?

Pubs in Perth have always been shite anyway.

Wish I knew, our football buses (think it's the same for every team) have never been allowed to venture into the centre.

Doesn't sound like we are missing out on much.

3 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Two boozers in Perth have undergone internal refurbishments which has transformed them from the classic, dingy pub style of which we are all used to - into a bright, shiny and tacky new look which makes the pub look more like a fucking cafe.

Which ones? Name and shame please so I know no to go there when I'm up home at Christmas. 

Suppose these places have to go more "upmarket", popular-ish traditional pubs like the Moncrieff Arms have been forced to shut down because they dont want to change

I loved the moncrieff arms as well, first place to sell me a pint at 16 years old. Raymond knew we were underage but just let it slide.

Year or so ago I headed back to Fife and me and my cousin decided to do a pub crawl of Levenmouths best, was quite the experience. Started in Windygates, quick taxi to Buckhaven and worked our way down to the shore from there.

Quite a few pubs were as they will have been 30 years ago but we both agreed it was quite creepy being in these random places that were probably heaving during their heyday but sit virtually empty nowadays with the same interiors. It's a shame the old pub culture isn't there any more but if people can sit on the couch with a beer and Facebook in front of them 9 times outta 10 that's what they'll do.

My favourite two pubs when I was younger in Aberdeen I mainly liked because I knew I would get served, but for nostalgic reasons still have fond memories of. I was sad to find, when in Aberdeen recently, that neither actually exist anymore.

The Marischal bar has turned into a complete hipster place, but more tragically The Moorings has turned into a Hawaiian themed cocktail bar.

I have no pubs close to me. That's the definition of shite.

I'd kill for an Ikea inspired cafe-style pub with sprogs running amok as i sipped my flat lager served in the wrong shape of glass as the guy next to me munched on his chicken ciabbata.

Lucky c***s.

I've noticed a worrying trend of late. After tonight's experience I feel that something has to be said.
For some bizarre reason, decent, solid pubs are turning into what can only be described as cafes. Two boozers in Perth have undergone internal refurbishments which has transformed them from the classic, dingy pub style of which we are all used to - into a bright, shiny and tacky new look which makes the pub look more like a fucking cafe. For example, the old brown seat covers are replaced with lime and blue striped cushions, the walls covered with beige paint or wallpaper, and the small gimmicks which gave the pub character in the first place are removed altogether.
Tonight I was in Dundee for the first time in a good while. We made our way to the Globe Lounge, my favourite watering hole during my uni years. Imagine my horror as we stepped in to find that this once charming and rustic pub had been transformed into, yes you guessed it, a fucking cafe. Cushioned seats and sofas are in vile colours like bright pink and purple, the walls covered with dull, cream paper - and the small charms like windowsill ornaments and the compass print on the ceiling with distances of major world cities from the pub - gone.
What the hell is going on? Is this an attempt to make pubs look more family friendly? Whatever it is I don't like it. I won't be going to any of these pubs again! They look disgusting and feel absolutely dreadful to be in. Pubs are meant to be a bit rough around the edges. Pints, lager, grub, pool, jukey, bandit, lads, birdies. That's what it's all about. I don't want to sit in a boozer which looks like they pride themselves on their tea and scones.
What say you? Has anyone else's local been turned into a fucking cafe?

Don't worry mate The Phoenix hasn't changed a bit.

I have no pubs close to me. That's the definition of shite.

I'd kill for an Ikea inspired cafe-style pub with sprogs running amok as i sipped my flat lager served in the wrong shape of glass as the guy next to me munched on his chicken ciabbata.

Lucky c***s.

^^^Northern Territories peasant

Almost all the pubs in Leith have turned to shite. You've still got the Persie, The four, Robbies, the harp, middies, tamsons and I'd imagine the central is still the decent

The rest have turned into these hipster joints with middle class students punting humous club sandwiches and pouring luke warm piss water into empty jam jars

I went to Tamsons for the first time a few weeks ago, decent boozer. Middleton's is pretty cheap and a good pint, but the Persevere seems a bit dull, though I've only been in once or twice. The Central seems to have a dodgy reputation, never noticed anything myself yet though.

On the old-fashioned jakey boozers turned hipster shitholes, the one that instantly springs to mind is the Volunteer Arms, which has changed names twice in the last year and a half or so, and is now run by Innis and Gunn.

The Brunswick is another one that looks like it's trying to get rid of its' spit and sawdust image since it changed hands.

Unfortunately, quite a few of my mates prefer the more pretentious boozers, and look down their noses at the old man's pubs, meaning I end up in some overpriced shit heap of a place, taking a fucking age to get served, and can barely hear what anyone else is saying over the utterly shite music blaring out.

If I'm lucky I'll end up in the Black Bull, with a rock / metal jukebox, and a few games of pool before heading off to some dive of a club in the Grassmarket or Cowgate, if I'm unlucky it's somewhere like Three Sisters.

And this, really, is the point. I like traditional pubs too; pints of 80, worn varnished fittings, worn carpets, etc. etc...
However, that's "traditional" to me, and as a sub-40 year old the chances are that what many older gents would consider would be traditional would be different. No women's bogs (no women altogether), no food at all - including crisps, nuts, etc, and a very limited selection of spirits. And awful lot of pubs in Scotland used to only sell (shit) beer and whisky after all.

So really nothing has changed as change itself is the constant. Some adapt, some try to hang on.

But there will remain some place for all.
Just as crocodiles and suchlike will still have tropical swamps in warmer climes where they can rock about like it's still prehistoric times, there will remain industrial areas and sink estates where those of us nostalgically seeking the scent of piss and domestic violence can indulge in both over a pint of watery McEwan's Lager.

Archived