F1 2017

die hard doonhamer

Championship done and dusted. Two retirements in three races combined with an engine failure has killed off what was a decent fight.

Trying to think how often Hamilton and Vettel have gone wheel to wheel on track over the season? Spain and Azerbaijan come to mind but can't think of too many other head-to-head fights between them (although that might be because it's early and I'm tired).

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Stu said:

Championship done and dusted. Two retirements in three races combined with an engine failure has killed off what was a decent fight.

Trying to think how often Hamilton and Vettel have gone wheel to wheel on track over the season? Spain and Azerbaijan come to mind but can't think of too many other head-to-head fights between them (although that might be because it's early and I'm tired).

Depends on your view of Hamilton it seems.

While last year, these issues caused the title to be "handed to Nico", this year Lewis has deservedly won...

1 hour ago, fanny paddery said:

Exactly the same as what happened last year, only Hamilton is on the right side of the luck this year.

Wouldn't say it's exactly the same compared to this stage of the season. Don't think Rosberg was quite this far ahead - and he still had to finish second in each race - plus don't think Hamilton had this many retirements over the closing races, his were earlier in the season.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Wouldn't say it's exactly the same compared to this stage of the season. Don't think Rosberg was quite this far ahead - and he still had to finish second in each race - plus don't think Hamilton had this many retirements over the closing races, his were earlier in the season.

Hamilton’s engine blowout in Malaysia basically cost him the title. If that didn’t happen he would have won it.

On 10/7/2017 at 14:00, Mackie The Staggie said:

I would guess that Toro Rosso will be using the remaining races to compare Kvyat and Gasly to see who to take on for 2019.  I can't see that pairing being the driver combo under a works partnership with Honda.

Can't see there being any reason for that, quite possibly Red Bull settling with Kvyat so the split at the end of the season is more amicable. Both drivers are familiar to the team and I doubt if there is anything more for both parties STR and Kvyat to learn about each other after 3 years. 

Can't even be sure Gasly will still be with the Red Bull driver program next season. I do know the Red Bull driver program for next season is being sorted on who will stay and who will go and STR might now include drivers associated with Honda in their program as there are no future Seb Vettels or Max Verstappens coming through right now on the Red Bull ladder.

The need to have enough points to qualify for a super licence would have limited who they could bring in, although I'd have thought Buemi would have been the far more obvious option.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/oct/19/kneel-lewis-hamilton-us-gp-f1

that he is unafraid to consider the issue and publicise it is something that should be applauded

I'm sure that the likes of Colin Kaepernick will be thrilled to hear of Saint Lewis' tireless sacrifice for their cause. by, err, posturing over a political protest only to indicate  in advance that you're going to be an utter shitebag instead. 

Archived