F1 2017

die hard doonhamer

Honda will also be giving (permanently skint) Sauber a really cheap deal, if only to deflect attention from the fact that the engines are currently a joke. 

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2017-4-30 at 14:51, virginton said:

It's also not even remotely tough to score points with dross like Palmer, Stroll and Vandoorne filling half the grid this season. Bin them as well.

Palmer is pish. He was poor last season and has shown no signs of improvement at this early stage of the season. I can only assume he has backing. Vandoorne is a good driver, he's just in a pish car.

The points situation is a bit silly now. They bumped it up to 10 when the new teams came in - now they've all gone bust and we're in a position where half the field gets points.

Some tremendous salty tears from the BBC's chief F1 writer here, who a few days ago was leading the charge along with Sky for there to be team orders so his beloved Lewis can win the title: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39765257

Palmer is pish. He was poor last season and has shown no signs of improvement at this early stage of the season. I can only assume he has backing. Vandoorne is a good driver, he's just in a pish car.
The points situation is a bit silly now. They bumped it up to 10 when the new teams came in - now they've all gone bust and we're in a position where half the field gets points.
Some tremendous salty tears from the BBC's chief F1 writer here, who a few days ago was leading the charge along with Sky for there to be team orders so his beloved Lewis can win the title: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39765257

Benson seems universally hated there[emoji23] Some poster called Stu seems to be on it quite a lot I've noticed.

Benson seems universally hated there[emoji23] Some poster called Stu seems to be on it quite a lot I've noticed.

Is he? Not me I can assure you. This thread, along with rambling on Twitter to myself, is the extent of my online F1 discussion!

On 01/05/2017 at 13:31, Jamaldo said:

I thought it was odd as well but the more I think about it you could be right. They're the slowest team anyway and, unlike McLaren, don't have massive pressure on them to win races and get podiums. There isn't much to lose.

Takes the pressure off Honda quite well. Surprised the bosses at Honda haven't waved a white flag over this misadventure, they pulled the plug in the 00's after years of fail (having already spent as much as a top team on a car which ended up being ran by the Brawn team). Maybe the thinking is get it back to being small and build up like they did in the 1980's. Spirit, Williams, McLaren. The Honda of the turbo era was brutal at top end and acceleration and more powerful even than the TAG Porsche or Ferrari.

Image result for spirit honda johansson

Can't see why if the Honda can do a job in Indycars they can't in F1. I wouldn't mind hearing the in car radio comments from Fernando Alonso on his first experience of the Honda in the Indy 500 testing tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Going to the Spanish F1, don't follow f1 too much so a bit wasted on me. The other half loves it, what should I expect ?

Staying in Barca?

If so take the train to Montmelo and use the bus to get up to the track the hill is a fecking killer in the heat.Also after the race on sunday walk down the hill into Montmelo and theres a nice wee street of bars etc get a seat grab a beer and let the crowds disappear.They wont let you take in any outside beer etc int the track and also theres no shade

What stand are you sitting in??

19 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Link to alonso doing his indy 500 rookie tests

He's doing well settled in nicely and looks happy again. Up in the 220s as well.

Hit two birds on one of his runs yesterday.

Sitting with the peasants in general admission. Don't imagine the view will be up to much but a nice drink on the grass will suffice.

Theres a decent view up at turn 7/8 with a big screen for viewing but get there nice and early

Red Bull bringng massive upgrades to Barca seemingly more newey than the season opener car as he had limited input due to designing an americas cup yacht

Red Bull bringng massive upgrades to Barca seemingly more newey than the season opener car as he had limited input due to designing an americas cup yacht

Hopefully. The more teams fighting for wins the better.

12 hours ago, Jamaldo said:

I shouldn't be surprised, but can someone explain how Alonso dragged that absolute dog of a car up to 7th? emoji38.png

He is the definition of "some boi".

In qualifying yesterday, Alonso was 19th quickest through the speed trap with only Vandromme being slower.  The Mclaren chassis is thought to be on the same level as the Red Bull's (possibly the Mercs and Ferrari as well it could be argued)

In Barcelona, top end speed is not the most important factor, a good handling car can overcome some of the power disadvantage.  When you add in one of the best drivers in F1 at the moment you get the result Alonso managed to deliver yesterday. 

The BBC are making it out to be a fantastic GP, but I disagree.

After Mercedes hoodwinked Ferrari into pitting early the race for the win was all but over. Ferrari were never going to recover from losing 22 seconds with a tactical mistake (although the amount of time they lost behind the VSC was ridiculous).

Barring Bottas retiring, the rest of the top 8 barely changed after the first lap.

DRS also seems ineffective for all but the top teams this year, limiting the amount of overtakes in midfield (except for people overtaking McLaren, which appeared to happen on the start finish straight on every lap).

Final shout out to Wherlein. I know we lost 3 of the top 6 drivers, but bringing the second worst car on the grid home in 8th is a great result.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived